KELE-AM/Ripley, OH

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

michael heath

Post by michael heath »

How far dose WLW go at nightime...
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

The usual for a 50KW clear channel station relatively low on the dial -- 800 miles easy, 1200 with a pretty decent receiver, 1500 with a really good receiver.

1800-2000 miles aren't out of the question, but that's extremely rare in today's environment (too much interference from both other stations and miscellaneous electric and electronic gear).
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
michael heath

Post by michael heath »

That dont sound so bad not for a AM station like WLW, plus it has alot of history in it...
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Arp2 wrote:The usual for a 50KW clear channel station relatively low on the dial -- 800 miles easy, 1200 with a pretty decent receiver, 1500 with a really good receiver.

1800-2000 miles aren't out of the question, but that's extremely rare in today's environment (too much interference from both other stations and miscellaneous electric and electronic gear).
I've often wondered if a 50kw clear could technically cover half of the world, assuming a quiet band.

I've picked up KOA and WOAI on my Superadio several times. I've yet to get a west coast clear, though.
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

When the first two stations in the AM expanded band went on (Oakland, CA, and Elizabeth, NJ) with 1 kW night power, they were heard by the DX nuts in New Zealand.
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

K-Rock wrote:I've picked up KOA and WOAI on my Superadio several times. I've yet to get a west coast clear, though.
KOA is there just about every night...I've picked up KFI and KNBR, but certainly not lately....probably not in the last decade....

Dave Loudin wrote:When the first two stations in the AM expanded band went on (Oakland, CA, and Elizabeth, NJ) with 1 kW night power, they were heard by the DX nuts in New Zealand.
Seems like I remember hearing Elizabeth during the day....Iowa, too.....
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

I think they've changed facilities since, but their Radio AAHS days, the Elizabeth station put a hell of a critical hours skywave into these parts.
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
michael heath

Post by michael heath »

K-Rock wrote:
Arp2 wrote:The usual for a 50KW clear channel station relatively low on the dial -- 800 miles easy, 1200 with a pretty decent receiver, 1500 with a really good receiver.

I've often wondered if a 50kw clear could technically cover half of the world, assuming a quiet band.

I've picked up KOA and WOAI on my Superadio several times. I've yet to get a west coast clear, though.
Dose WLW pick up north like canada at night? You can barley hear canada AM stations in ohio if your lucky... I remeber WCBS AM hearing them one night if the weather is right...