WMRN-FM is ready to move to Columbus!

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

djMatty

WMRN-FM is ready to move to Columbus!

Post by djMatty »

Clear Channel's WMRN-FM 106.9 Marion is ready to move to Columbus. CC moved the country format to 94.3 WDIF Marion and simucasted for a few days, now 106.9 runs a loop of voice talent (mostly BC jocks) saying please move your radio's to 94.3.

It's expected 106.7 will sign on in Dublin err Columbus before the end of the month.
Matt
Program Director/Music Director/Owner
X music Online "The X"
Positive Rock Radio
http://www.xmusiconline.com/
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

The new 106.7 signal looks to have city-grade coverage of the entire Columbus, OH metro. Any word on what the new format there will be?
On Twitter: @LouPickney
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Ace Purple wrote:The new 106.7 signal looks to have city-grade coverage of the entire Columbus, OH metro. Any word on what the new format there will be?
I've heard Lite Rock or AC, as if there's a difference.

I've heard Urban to go after Power 107.

I personally speculated CC would try an Active Rocker to bust up QFM and The Blitz.

Several on the Radio-Info boards are begging for AAA, which just might work in Columbus.

Who knows?

8)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Hoosier Daddy wrote:I personally speculated CC would try an Active Rocker to bust up QFM and The Blitz.
Far more logical than 95% of that Radio-Info crap.

But you also mentioned Urban. What if "The Brew" moved up to 106.7 and left the much-more-appropriate-for-it 105.7 signal for Urban-ish something?
Several on the Radio-Info boards are begging for AAA, which just might work in Columbus.
....and, whether it would do particularly well or not, would be the most beneficial-for-the-market-as-a-whole thing that could be done.

Columbus has the potential of being a textbook example of why "cluster strategy" could be looked back upon as a chief contributor to the downfall of the industry. For the health of the business, which I define as "providing products that result in the largest number of reasonably satisfied people listening for the longest possible amount of time," the use of 93.3 there has been appalling, the likely uses of 106.7 are almost guaranteed to be frustrating, and there is no good and logical use for a 102.5 pseudo-move-in or most of the other rim-shots in the area.
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
sportsvoice

Post by sportsvoice »

WSRW AM and FM are simulcasting WCHO out of Washington Court House. Sounds like the plan is to keep the simulcast on WSRW AM after the FM moves. Not sure if all staff are to be blown out in Hillsboro or if they will keep doing local sports separate from WCHO.
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

WCHO AM/FM and WSRW AM/FM are all orphans, part of the "departing stations" group sold to (no)Good Radio et. al. WSRW-FM is going to Chillicothe and downgrading to an A to allow for the Marion move-in.
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

Arp2 wrote:textbook example of why "cluster strategy" could be looked back upon as a chief contributor to the downfall of the industry.
Holy shit. I've been so involved in "cluster strategy" for so long I hadn't even thought of that. My mindset has always been we started to die when we started to dismiss the value of our product. This includes voicetracking, liner card reading, syndicated morning shows, etc. It also includes "giving away" air time with bonus spots, value add, and low rates. We also have to accept the idea that that people are going to continue to use radio less and less because of the lessened product and the march of technology. Even with that in my head it hadn't occured to me that "cluster strategy" is a large component of the lessened product.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Well, I did say "could".......

There might be some other things, sure. :)

However, if you think about it, sure, you could always find some pretty intense head-to-head battles in places, but there were a lot of years when you "took what the market gave you" and "went where the competition wasn't." When you fought a station head-on, it was because you wanted to win, not because you wanted them to lose "some." You didn't define winning by causing someone else to get knocked down a little; you defined winning as "winning!" In the absence of a head-on battle, you did what you could to find and occupy a space that no one else occupied....the proverbial "hole" in the market.

Now, with the industry all clustered up and programming and selling in an environment that pretends people are born the day they turn 18 and die the day they turn 55, you have stations fighting to be ranked high somewhere in that range rather than actually be high. I mean, what is share compression other than guys, rather than trying to win something for themselves, trying to see to it that other guys don't win?

I know it's not as simple as any of that....I'm just venting some frustration. I think we make a huge mistake when we ignore viable formats and available and willing audiences.....
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

WMRN-FM has signed on from its new 106.7 broadcast location and is stunting with TV theme songs at the moment as Television 106.7. According to message board postings, it's a loop of the "TV's Greatest Theme Songs" CD collection.
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

WMRN-FM has debuted as... Radio 106.7, with a modern rock format. It should be interesting to see how it matches up with CD-101.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

from TheOtherPaper.com

[quote]Hyping the non-hype
December 13, 2007

This is a sad day for rabid fans of TV theme songs. At noon, Clear Channel will pull the plug on the short-term teaser format that was airing on its new Central Ohio radio station.

The permanent format, Radio 106.7, will be a pop-rock-alternative hybrid that borrows a little from such competitors as Mix 97.1 and CD101—with a style that borrows nothing at all from fellow Clear Channel station WNCI 97.9.

“It’s not gonna be real hypey,â€
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

The folks at WWCD, Grove City, the fine little locally-owned altrocker, have got to be feeling threatened. Their class A signal couldn't be situated any worse: southside tower, the downtown skyline blocks it where? Short North, campus and Clintonville aka altrock heaven. WMRN = city grade 100% of Franklin County.

You willl be assimilated, etc., etc.

http://www.cd101.com