Roanoke

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Roanoke

Post by Zak Tyler »

driving through the 'noke a few months back and surfing the dial for a song i liked i noticed that most of the major formats were well covered except for rock. i find it hard to talk ill of ROV since my buddy is programming it now... but with the lack of rock product in the area, wouldn't it make sense to broaden the radio station to take advantage of the lack of competition?
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
genlock

Post by genlock »

Has anyone visited the N&W railroad Museum in Roanoke?
Is it worth the trip?
Maybe rock does not sell well in Roanoke.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

genlock wrote:Has anyone visited the N&W railroad Museum in Roanoke?
Is it worth the trip?
i did my show live there on halloween night when i was at JJS. it looked pretty cool, but i'm really not into trains (well.... ummmm nevermind!)
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Roanoke, ugliest most depressing city in the state?
ROV is not bad for a town that size. K-92 a shadow of its former greatness, like most CHRs. Was it 101.1 that used to be Alt?
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

i think so.... all i remember is Z101... i used to LOVE that station. found out a dude i used to listen to in richmond years ago was on that station while i was there, don walker... i used to love his morning show in richmond with mike hsu on the buzz.... mike's now in boston (kickin ass from what i hear)

yeah, roanoke is pretty bad in the "oh what a beautiful city" category isn't it. i also hate the way the roads are laid out. maybe it's because i only spent 5-6 months there, but i always had a hard time figuring out where i was and which direction i was headed.
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

Roanoke has WROV, a Clear Channel rock station that seems to span a wide variety of eras. A glance just now shows "Rebel Yell" by Billy Idol into "When I'm Gone" by 3 Doors Down into "Werewolves of London" by Warren Zevon.

It also has WZZI/WZZU, a similarly wide playlist rock station, albeit more poppy. Yes.com reports it playing Semisonic "Closing Time" into Van Halen "When It's Love" into Smashing Pumpkins "1979" into The Beatles "Across The Universe".
On Twitter: @LouPickney
BobFrank

Post by BobFrank »

WZZI/WZZU and the "new" WWRE/WWRT in Winchester have about the same playlist (same owners too).

I was kinda happy we were going to get another rock station in Winchester, but I have heard no new rock on there. It's like their playlist stops at 2001 or 2002. Kinda goofy.

Oh well, back to downloading music for me...til Friday when I get XM :)

Take Care,

Tybois Uphold
michael heath

Post by michael heath »

Oh Man! I remeber WZZU 93.9 til the mid 90's it was blown up from classic rock to softac now a dance format. Owned by Clear Channle out of Raleigh Nc. How is the WZZU call letters doing?
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

michael heath wrote:How is the WZZU call letters doing?
I presume the call letters are doing just fine, but I haven't checked in with them lately to know for sure :D

My guess is that they're buried in a once-an-hour legal ID.
On Twitter: @LouPickney
michael heath

Post by michael heath »

I remeber in 84 The Morning Zoo on WZZU 93.9
Clay JD Walker

Post by Clay JD Walker »

I think it's cool that I can hear SLC and 99.1 in Greensboro, and keep it all of the way back home to Summersville...I was also able to sorta pick up WJMH (102 Jamz) all of the way in Bluefield yesterday morning...too bad Little Buddy Radio in Beckley screws my station up...ha
michael heath

Post by michael heath »

Clay JD Walker wrote:I think it's cool that I can hear SLC and 99.1 in Greensboro, and keep it all of the way back home to Summersville...I was also able to sorta pick up WJMH (102 Jamz) all of the way in Bluefield yesterday morning...too bad Little Buddy Radio in Beckley screws my station up...ha
WPAW 93.1 has got a big killer signal.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

Clay JD Walker wrote:I think it's cool that I can hear SLC and 99.1 in Greensboro, and keep it all of the way back home to Summersville...I was also able to sorta pick up WJMH (102 Jamz) all of the way in Bluefield yesterday morning...too bad Little Buddy Radio in Beckley screws my station up...ha
when brett first left Electric to sign on SLC, there were certain points in charleston i could go and listen... was pretty cool :) then a few months later i was in roanoke anyway, so it wasn't that cool anymore.