Frednecksburg happenings

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Dave Loudin

Frednecksburg happenings

Post by Dave Loudin »

The Free-Lance Star's WYSK 99.3 (Class A from Spotsylvania) has dropped Alt Rock for Urban Contemporary.
dcrtv wrote:The station has applied for the WWVB calls and will be called "The Vibe." Look for Justin Timberlake, Alicia Keys, Chris Brown, Kanye West, and Sean Kingston. The station will also feature dance music from the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s. Most of the WYSK staff will remain onboard, including Program Director Jim Spector and Music Director Chris Manning.
Their phase that pays is "Fredericksburg's #1 hit music station." - followed by Wild Cherry.
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
BobFrank

Post by BobFrank »

This is the stupidest thing Free Lance Star Radio could have done. A great alternative station replaced with something that can be heard on 4 other stations....WHTE in C-Ville, WIHT and WKYS in DC, and WRVQ in Richmond.

So, why, was there need for a station of their own?

You can still hear the alternative music online at www.wysk.com

Rock on,

Tybois
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Re: Frednecksburg happenings

Post by Zak Tyler »

Dave Loudin wrote:The Free-Lance Star's WYSK 99.3 (Class A from Spotsylvania) has dropped Alt Rock for Urban Contemporary.
dcrtv wrote:The station has applied for the WWVB calls and will be called "The Vibe." Look for Justin Timberlake, Alicia Keys, Chris Brown, Kanye West, and Sean Kingston. The station will also feature dance music from the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s. Most of the WYSK staff will remain onboard, including Program Director Jim Spector and Music Director Chris Manning.
Their phase that pays is "Fredericksburg's #1 hit music station." - followed by Wild Cherry.
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so, if i'm reading this correctly, a bunch of "rock" guys keeping their jobs and are now going to be doing Urban... and the station kicked it all off with "Play That Funky Music"????

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(i need to pee)
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

They didn't kick off with Wild Cherry - that's what followed the liner just before I turned them off last night. Still LOL, though.
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

svrtv_editor wrote:This is the stupidest thing Free Lance Star Radio could have done. A great alternative station replaced with something that can be heard on 4 other stations....WHTE in C-Ville, WIHT and WKYS in DC, and WRVQ in Richmond.

So, why, was there need for a station of their own?

You can still hear the alternative music online at www.wysk.com

Rock on,

Tybois
Thanks to 99.3, you can't hear Hot 99.5 in Fredburg and Spotsy County. The other three stations are sorta-DX catches, depending on where you are around here. So, for boom-box and clock-radio listening, 99.3's format is not a bad idea.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

[quote="VARTV.com"]OM Paul Johnson described The Vibe as “A blend of contemporary Urban, Rythmic, and Top 40. Our tag line is Fredericksburg’s New #1 Hit Music Station.â€
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

They always seemed short spaced to Hot. I know they're not technically, but...

Maybe they're somewhat playing off of Hot listeners doing the I-95 commute. Similar formatted station--just flip one down when the bleedover starts.

:P
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

Their COL is actually Spotsylvania C.H and the transmitter is down close to Lake Anna. Their service contour misses part of Fredburg city, so any chop-chop from Loblaw's mob is to be expected.
Bob Loblaw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bob Loblaw »

Listened to this station last night for about 90 minutes.

Just awful/entertaining.

3 or 4 Urban currents/recurrents in a row...then 2-3 golds in a row. About 5 diff. positioning statements. At one point, one said "your only station for Hip Hop" and then played Prince's I Would Die 4 U.

Very random.