FCC talks about requiring local programming on radio

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Force Commander

FCC talks about requiring local programming on radio

Post by Force Commander »

From allaccess.com

Could FCC Edicts Jeopardize 24/7 Programming?

While most of the media focus is on the FCC's DEC. 18th vote to allow limited cross-ownership, and Democratic Commissioner MICHAEL COPPS gripes about private equity station deals, a report being commissioned by the Commission could cause far more challenges for radio stations on the local level.

According to a story on the SEATTLE PI website, a FCC news release on that report proposes that stations "set up permanent community advisory boards," and that stations validate a certain amount of local programming as part of the "renewal application processing" procedure. "We tentatively conclude that all broadcasters must air a certain amount of local programming," FCC Chairman KEVIN MARTIN said in his statement.

What's not specified is exactly how much local programming radio stations must air -- and exactly what constitutes "local programming." Is it local news and traffic reports? Local music shows? A certain number of air shifts manned by local on-air talent?

The FCC's vagueness on this issue troubles GREATER MEDIA's PETER SMYTH, who took the FCC to task in his own column (NET NEWS 1/15). The SEATTLE PI story also quoted a more troubling scenario, courtesy of WASHINGTON STATE ASSOCIATION OF BROADCASTERS Pres. MARK ALLEN, "It wasn't that long ago that many stations signed off late at night," the story noted. "ALLEN says he's heard from some members that if the FCC requires studio staffing at all hours the station is on the air, they might go back to that pattern."

Original source article:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/tv/347616 ... eat17.html

This could have a interesting impact on the stations around here, and around the country for that matter. How many ownership groups in the various states that have pages on this site have stations in their cluster that have no local programming? Imagine every single station having to have at least one live shift. Almost sounds like the good old days.

I guess the other side is will companies continue to operate smaller sub signals when it starts costing more money to operate them? Maybe sell the smaller ones off? Ownership opportunities for new players again? Probably won't happen, but we can hope.

Now tell me what you think.
Last edited by Force Commander on Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We are the CC Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your broadcast stations. We will add your biological and creative distinctiveness to our own. Your broadcast personality will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

This could have some huge ramifications if the interpretations that many are making hold true.

Kevin Smith: "We tentatively conclude that all broadcasters must air a certain amount of local programming."

This, not satellite radio, should be the top concern of the NAB effective immediately.
On Twitter: @LouPickney
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

I just can't imagine all the FMs going off the air every night just because they're too cheap to pay a noob minimum wage.

That would even help competition like iPods and satrad, as not everyone sleeps at night.

The real question is, how much localism would be required? And what exactly is localism? In the internet age, it really doesn't matter "where" one is geographically as long as they are "here".

This is not as simple as it seems, as NAB lawyers will have a time picking this apart, and make the FCC be more specific.

And yes, the NAB made a huge mistake becoming so distracted by the XM/Sirius merger that it failed to notice more immediate threats like SoundExchange and the continued failure of HD.

And now, this...

At what point does Rehr get thrown to the wolves?
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Oh my God, not LOCAL content!!!!

ANYTHING but that! What if someone thinks we actually live in this community or worse yet, know something about it?
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
genlock

Post by genlock »

I don't think they are talking about jocks sitting in a local studio playing music. Maybe they are talking about communicating with the listeners.
Voice tracked jocks do not count even when the jock is local. Even commercials, when local and locally done, would be in the ballpark. I really liked the WVOW hair-removal clinic spots. Great for prom or any time the ladies want to go out. We might get back to radio yet.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Naaaaah..
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

daveinthemorning wrote:Oh my God, not LOCAL content!!!!

ANYTHING but that! What if someone thinks we actually live in this community or worse yet, know something about it?
I'm not against it... I just don't think the definition of it is so clear cut anymore.

A good example is syndication, as most shows have a base flagship in a certain market. Most New Yorkers thought of Stern as a local show, even though he was syndicated all over the country. To this day, you will occasionally hear a New Yorker call in to Stern's Sirius show and speak localisms. In their minds, Stern is still a "local" show, even though it's on a national radio service.

Also, I like to make the TV network analogy... Should the wildly popular AI be replaced by a more local version, just for localism's sake? How many "locals" would that piss off? My guess is that they want to see the real deal, even though it is filmed in Hollywood, and never has had anything to do with WV.

I don't see radio as being any different. Content is content. Rush even routinely says, "As long as I am here, it doesn't matter where here is". And on that issue, he is right.

I do agree with genlock, though. Communication is key. And it can still be done with non-local content.

Back to the original topic, I just cringe when the FCC wants to get into the content mandating and regulating business, regardless of what it is about. They should stick with field tests and proper frequency assignments, which is the main reason they were originally created.
Force Commander

K- wrote:I just cringe when the FCC wants to get into the content mandating and regulating business, regardless of what it is about. They should stick with field tests and proper frequency assignments, which is the main reason they were originally created.
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh Yeah!!!!!!!!!! Bravo!!!!!!!!! K for FCC commissioner!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
"We are the CC Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your broadcast stations. We will add your biological and creative distinctiveness to our own. Your broadcast personality will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

Being one of the few folks on this board who has actually done an ascertainment survey, what the pressure groups and FCC want is radio circa 1951:

A half hour program with the women from the garden club discussing the need for more petunias in the park.
Then a 15 minute city council report Then Congressman Blytxft's "report to the District." a half hour of Patti Page, the local high school glee club, then some Sinatra. Then the noon news.

If you talk to these guys, you soon realize that:
A: They don't listen to radio, or only listen to NPR;, and
B. What they really, really, want is for someone to start up another local newspaper that will print their 1,000 word "letters to the Editor" on the injustice de jure..
Force Commander

Tom Taggart wrote: If you talk to these guys, you soon realize that:
A: They don't listen to radio, or only listen to NPR;, and
B. What they really, really, want is for someone to start up another local newspaper that will print their 1,000 word "letters to the Editor" on the injustice de jure..
I have not spoke with all 5 commissioners, however the one I did fits that mold completely!
sportsvoice

Post by sportsvoice »

Force Commander wrote:
K- wrote:I just cringe when the FCC wants to get into the content mandating and regulating business, regardless of what it is about. They should stick with field tests and proper frequency assignments, which is the main reason they were originally created.
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh Yeah!!!!!!!!!! Bravo!!!!!!!!! K for FCC commissioner!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
Hell, they can't even take care of the field tests and proper frequency assignments part, or enforcing proper technical standards.
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

Well, yeah, that would require hiring engineers and technicians that understand RF instead of lawyers.
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Dave Loudin wrote:Well, yeah, that would require hiring engineers and technicians that understand RF instead of lawyers.
And not listening to the NAB's well-financed, dinner-buying lobbyists.

8)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

For one thing, we do need more petunias in the park.

I'm not a supporter of the analogy requiring certain things to be done on the air. I'm also a person who says we need a hell of a lot less government in EVERY aspect of our lives, however, it would be nice to hear more localism in radio without governmental action. I love to go to Radio Locator and just look at stations content across the country. I'm more likely to click on some small station in Minnesota than a station in New York. It always amazes me how many stations use satellite programming for their entire broadcast day, yet scream about being "Northern Minnesota's Best Country" or some shit like that. Their commercial breaks may be filled with "Carl's Tractor Sales" but as a listener (not a broadcast hack which I am) I would be a little skeptical when I hear those type commercials, followed by a perfect-sounding voice working for "Your stations playing the hits".
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Dave,

You are absolutely, 100% on-the-money correct. "Local content" can happen with sat fed programming, but the station must want and strive for that to occur. A strong local morning (and maybe afternoon) show. A local news department with hourly reports several times a day. A weekend public affairs program. High school sports team coverage and a rundown of local scores every Friday night and/or Saturday morning.

Keep the satellite "best mix of music that everyone in the office can agree on" for all your non-critical times, but spend the money to plug in local programming at key times. It can work, and it's truly the best of both worlds.

My biggest issue is with the totally automated plug-and-play stations out there.

8)
genlock

Post by genlock »

I agree with Daveinthemorning.
Esp about the titties and beer.

But is most cases today, an accomplished radio person is the one who programs the computer, not the personality who engages the audience.

BTW: Stern is a NYC program. He just depends on his listeners to think
they are in NYC. Arrogant, huh?

Newspapers, the local type, are in the process of ruining their business by
depending on national wire feeds to fill the number po pages they are
needing to haul the advertisements. By the time the papers publish, the news is days old and have been beaten to death on cable. It is too easy
to run wire copy rather than go outside and hunt for stories.

Music is not the key to future success in radio.
Relationship of the voice on the radio with the audience is that key.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Damn, we're all in agreement?

This calls for beer..and titties.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Are there any titty bars in Logan County?

:?

If not, I highly recommend Lady Godiva's in Barboursville.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Two, actually. Baby Dolls in beautiful downtown Cherry Tree, just outside Logan and Sheer Fantasy in Ellis Addition, again a suburb of Logan proper. Baby Dolls actually advertises with us. They want women to do their commercials, to sort of give the impression that the dancers are doing the spots. In reality, we have used a number of ladies for their ads, including the a friend of mine who work for the ambulance company, the girl who cuts my hair, etc.

The clubs are about what you would expect from strip joints in small town WV. You will come out wounded from something, a gun, a knife, or some sort of infection.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

It could be worse.

Are there any titty bars in MacDowell County?

8O