FCC talks about requiring local programming on radio

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

sportsvoice

Post by sportsvoice »

Hoosier Daddy wrote:
Dave Loudin wrote:It's more like 1 to 2 high schools per county.
This got me thinking ...

Number of High Schools per county in Southeast Ohio:

Lawrence County - 7
Jackson County - 3
Gallia County - 3
Meigs County - 3, there buddy.
Vinton County - 1
Pike County - 4
Hocking County - 1
Athens County - 5

It seems like Scioto and Ross Counties had probably 6 or 7 each, but I'm not for sure.

8)
Scioto has a total of 10 public high schools, one charter (Sciotoville Community, which was formed in what used to be Portsmouth East), and one parochial (Notre Dame). There may be other private schools that I'm missing.

As for Ross County, it looks like there are 8, but I don't know if their "Western" is actually spillover from Western Pike or if it's a different district.
Force Commander

Post by Force Commander »

Couple of articles from Radio Ink:

http://www.radioink.com/HeadlineEntry.a ... todaysnews

Couple of interesting quotes:
"New efforts are needed to ensure that licensees regularly gather information from community representatives" and tentatively concludes that "each licensee should convene a permanent advisory board made up of officials and other leaders from the service area of its broadcast station. We believe that these boards will promote both localism and diversity and, as such, should be an integral component of the commission's localism efforts."
the report notes that the FCC is currently seeking comment in another proceeding on a proposal that radio stations be staffed during all on-air hours and says the commision is "still considering" such a requirement.
"Requiring that all radio stations be attended can only increase the ability of the station to provide information of a local nature to the community of license," says the report. The commission is extending its request for comment on a continuous staffing requirement to TV stations as well.
The FCC is also seeking comment on whether it should return to its pre-1987 rule that required that a station's main studio be within its community of license
The commission is also looking into the prevalence and effects of voicetracking and seeking comment on "whether the commision can and should take steps to limit the practice, require disclosure, or otherwise address it."
"We do not believe that the record supports our prohibiting the use of national music playlists by licensees, nor do we believe that we should affirmatively require stations to give airplay to local artists." But it does want comment on whether licensees should be required to provide data on how much local music they play and on how they compile their playlists. The data would be used when a station's license renewal is considered.
That is quite a jump from where they are now. No telling if this all or even part will happen. However even seeing this in print I am sure scares some broadcast owners.

FCC Commissioner Jonathan Adelstein about the FCC's report:

http://www.radioink.com/HeadlineEntry.a ... todaysnews
"We are the CC Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your broadcast stations. We will add your biological and creative distinctiveness to our own. Your broadcast personality will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."
sportsvoice

Post by sportsvoice »

Force Commander wrote:
The FCC is also seeking comment on whether it should return to its pre-1987 rule that required that a station's main studio be within its community of license
They can start small by not handing out main studio waivers like candy to the K-Love people...
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

..."each licensee should convene a permanent advisory board made up of officials and other leaders from the service area of its broadcast station."
See, now, that right there is a problem.

"Officials and other leaders" completely excludes those not part of government, dependent on government, or who do not lump themselves into groups to lobby government. In other words, independent individuals are apparently left out despite their being the very nature of America and the Declaration and the Constitution being written from that paradigm and specifically for those individuals.

I, too, have endured many ascertainments. I, too, know them to be a huge, "you've got to be kidding me" joke.

sportsvoice wrote:
Force Commander wrote:
They can start small by not handing out main studio waivers like candy to the K-Love people...
If CCU is "The Borg," then I'm starting to think EMF is "Species 8472" or whatever they were called.....
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Force Commander

Post by Force Commander »

This was mentioned elsewhere on this site:

index.htm/viewtopic.php?t=14732

but deserves repeating here in this thread due to the serious nature and to make certain all here see this. This is the FCC's proposal to paperwork a TV station to death:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/a ... -205A1.pdf

Summary for you:

http://www.broadcastlawblog.com/archive ... ments.html

In case radio thinks they have dodged the bullet, read this excerpt:
This Report and Order only pertains to television stations, pursuant to the Notice in this proceeding. But we note
that we similarly sought comment on these issues as they pertain to radio in the Further Notice of Proposed
Rulemaking in the Digital Audio Broadcasting proceeding. See Digital Audio Broadcasting Systems and Their
Impact on the Terrestrial Radio Broadcast Service, Second Report and Order, First Order on Reconsideration and
Second Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, 22 FCC Rcd 10344, 10391 (2007).
"We are the CC Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your broadcast stations. We will add your biological and creative distinctiveness to our own. Your broadcast personality will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."