What Gives with 610AM?

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

The Big Ear

What Gives with 610AM?

Post by The Big Ear »

Are they purposely mixing in some reverb? I was listening to Rush the other day while tooling across the CBUS area and it sounded like he was in a tunnel. I thought maybe it was the reception, but it never changed as I got closer to town.

I remember some old time AM stations doing that... although I'm not really sure why. I admit my thimble-full of radio knowledge is showing here, so I ask the experts.

Why on earth would you add that in - in today's modern world of audio? It doesn't sound cool... or "BIG"... or even retro. It was annoying as all hell. I flipped around a bit to some other distant stations and heard nothing of the sort.

Could it be:
The satellite feed?
The reception of a particular frequency?
They are actually adding a little reverb?

This probably belongs in "tech" BUT - it's Ohio and it could possibly pertain to a philosophy of how a station is run... and how that effects listeners. It nearly drove me away...but it was the best signal for a few hours. It sounds a TON better on Htn & Chas stations.
contracteng

Post by contracteng »

As a kid in the 50s. listening in Cleveland, a Detroit area station, I thinkd WJR, ran for a very short time what they called "color radio" which was just added reverb.
t
Cameron

Re: What Gives with 610AM?

Post by Cameron »

The Big Ear wrote:Are they purposely mixing in some reverb?
yes
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Senior Member - SBE 68 Birmingham
Senior Digital Product Manager - Hibbett Sports|City Gear
Hoosier Daddy

Re: What Gives with 610AM?

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

The Big Ear wrote:I was listening to Rush...
There's your problem.

8)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.