New group to fight the new proposed rules on localism

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Force Commander

New group to fight the new proposed rules on localism

Post by Force Commander »

"We are the CC Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your broadcast stations. We will add your biological and creative distinctiveness to our own. Your broadcast personality will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

I can't think of a faster way to push even more audience to iPods and satellite...
sportsvoice

Post by sportsvoice »

Nice "astroturf" campaign. Guess the K-Love and AFR type folks are afraid someone might rescind all their main studio waivers.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

K-Love would write better.
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
contracteng

Post by contracteng »

This FCC proposal will kill more local, diverse programming than it would help.

One client I do work for would have to build two new studio locations and staff them plus the one they already have. One of which is an AM that would probably just get turned off and elimnate programming that seems to appeal to the senior generation. Night time programming after 11:00 p.m. (I believe FM’s are required to be on till 11:00 pm) would probably be done away with to save paying for a man on duty doing nothing but watching a computer during a non revenue producing time period. So much for being able to send EAS alerts between 11:00 pm and 6:00 am in a lot of small markets who would close down during those hour to save money.

Wouldn’t Kindred have to build studios in Ashland and well as maintaining one in Huntington?

Look how many studios Clear Channel would have to build.

Satellite program producers may suffer because if you got to pay a boardop to be on duty might as well have him DJ. Guess that could be a good thing!

A station doing nitch programming would probably have to look for programming to reach a bigger audience to be able to afford the additional expense.

“The FCC is even considering forcing stations to give away time to any community group that requests itâ€
t
goradiomic

Post by goradiomic »

contracteng wrote: So much for being able to send EAS alerts between 11:00 pm and 6:00 am in a lot of small markets who would close down during those hour to save money.
Hopefully any future nuclear attacks will come during daylight hours.
contracteng

Post by contracteng »

All tornados in small towns must be scheduled before 11:00 pm or after 6:00 am.
t
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

Hmmm. A warm body in the studio playing a box of records is always better than a personality sitting in Texas playing a box of records, right? Of course, I would have never gotten near a microphone if the northern Becker empire (WSGB) could have used remote talent.
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
genlock

Post by genlock »

It is diffacult for some guy recording bits on a computer to connect with an audience in a place he will never even visit. Or want to visit.
Radio studios used to have windows, comments could be made about the weather etc. I think Kindred has a window. Anybody else?
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

We have a window in the corner of the studio that faces the funeral home.
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

contracteng wrote: Wouldn’t Kindred have to build studios in Ashland and well as maintaining one in Huntington?
No.

Each AM, FM, and TV broadcast station shall maintain a main
studio at one of the following locations:
(1) Within the station's community of license;
(2) At any location within the principal community contour (5 mV/m AM, 3.16 mV/m FM) of any
AM, FM, or TV broadcast station licensed to the station's community of
license; or
(3) Within twenty-five miles from the reference coordinates of the
center of its community of license as described in Sec. 73.208(a)(1).

Twenty-five miles from our studios is Greenup. (12 mile buffer-zone)

3.16 mV/m is 70dBu. The 70dBu on WDGG goes from Olive Hill, KY to Milton, WV. WCMI has the same city of license as WDGG (paragraph 2 towards the end) and can have it's main studio anywhere in WDGG's 70dBu.

Clear Channel's current location is "in the Clear" for all of their current properties, as well.

If any of that changes, I volunteer to move my office to the Ashland studio. I'll put it on Morningside Drive so Mikey B. can wet his panties.
Last edited by Cameron on Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Senior Member - SBE 68 Birmingham
Senior Digital Product Manager - Hibbett Sports|City Gear
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

daveinthemorning wrote:We have a window in the corner of the studio that faces the funeral home.
That's gotta' help for the "on air obits".
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Yeah, we just watched them wheel them in, then if we are running light that day we scream, "Hey, who's the stiff?"
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Cameron wrote:If any of that changes, I volunteer to move my office to the Ashland studio. I'll put it on Morningside Drive so Mikey B. can wet his panties.
Terrapin Ridge.

:wink:
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

Cameron quoted the present rules. The FCC's proposal is to revert back to the old rules, which provided that the studio must be:

A. In the city of license;
B. At the transmitter site;
or, if an FM,
C. At the studio site of a co-owned AM station

Hence, the Dawg would be required to have studios in Ashland, at the transmitter site, or at the studio location for either 1340 or 930.
92.7 could have its studio site in Catlettsburg, at the transmitter site, or at the site of one of the AM stations.

The 1340 studio would have to be in Ashland or at the transmitter; the 930 studio in Huntington, or at the transmitter.

So, it would appear that no matter how you would slice it, a minimum of two studios would be required. E.G. The Dawg and 1340 at one site in Ashland; 92.7 and 930 at another studio in Huntington.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Hoosier Daddy wrote:
Cameron wrote:If any of that changes, I volunteer to move my office to the Ashland studio. I'll put it on Morningside Drive so Mikey B. can wet his panties.
Terrapin Ridge.

:wink:
You mean "Tarpin"?

The street sign up the ridge reads, "Tarpin".

Tarpin, though, isn't really Ashland city limits, it's kinda' Summit, Cannonsburg, Catlettsburg-ish. It depends on what utility you ask as to what town it's in. It's just the place the CBVFD keeps its still.
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
sportsvoice

Post by sportsvoice »

Tom Taggart wrote:Cameron quoted the present rules. The FCC's proposal is to revert back to the old rules, which provided that the studio must be:

A. In the city of license;
B. At the transmitter site;
or, if an FM,
C. At the studio site of a co-owned AM station

Hence, the Dawg would be required to have studios in Ashland, at the transmitter site, or at the studio location for either 1340 or 930.
92.7 could have its studio site in Catlettsburg, at the transmitter site, or at the site of one of the AM stations.

The 1340 studio would have to be in Ashland or at the transmitter; the 930 studio in Huntington, or at the transmitter.

So, it would appear that no matter how you would slice it, a minimum of two studios would be required. E.G. The Dawg and 1340 at one site in Ashland; 92.7 and 930 at another studio in Huntington.
Can't say I think that's necessary, but I'm definitely in favor of either getting rid of or putting a distance limit on main studio waivers for full power NCE and a distance limit for translator locations from the parent station. I don't see how the local area is being served by a sat dish fed from Rocklin, Twin Falls, or Tupelo.
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

does that mean an end to things like 12 hours of Lou Brutus??