WJZW flips to "True Oldies" 105.9

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

AmpedNow

WJZW flips to "True Oldies" 105.9

Post by AmpedNow »

From DCRTV:
105.9 Goes Oldies, Smooth Jazz To HD2 - 2/29 - DCRTV first tipped you off this morning. Citadel pulled the plug on Smooth Jazz 105.9, WJZW, at 3 PM Friday. The entire airstaff is gone. And it got replaced with "The New True Oldies 105.9 - DC's Greatest Hits." First song - Aretha Franklin's "Respect." Rock and soul oldies. Jockless for the foreseeable future. No new calls - yet. A barebones website at trueoldies1059.com. "True Oldies" is an ABC Radio Networks service voiced and produced by former WPGCer Scott Shannon. Citadel uses that format on one of its stations in Chicago. "I'm wondering if that looks like an inexpensive and fast way to plug oldies in there in DC," we hear from a national radio guru. As DCRTV told you, automated smooth jazz will continue on 105.9's HD2 digital subchannel.....

A format flip has been rumored for some time...

Another nail in the coffin for the Smooth Jazz format.

Also, this is part of a larger Citadel bloodbath in DC, with several WMAL vets being shown the door.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Unfortunate, unfortunate, unfortunate..... :(

( <------ Smooth Jazz fan....ish..... )

I wonder if this could be a case where the HD2 could/should get more bits than the 1.....
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
BobFrank

Post by BobFrank »

It's not a bad format, but I give it 6 months, 9 tops and it will be flipped.

For some reason, Oldies formats don't last long in Washington. I think only "Oldies 100" (the former format at WBIG) would be the exception as it was around for awhile, but it too was flipped.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

I remember "Xtra 104" being around for a few years before Oldies 100 came along and killed them off.

Anyway, the rumor mill is now reporting that the new morning show will be Imus.

If so, it will be the first time his show has been on FM in DC.

It may do better with Imus anchoring morning drive, But they still need to have a live afternoon show at the very least. VT/automated afternoons in a market this size is insanity...
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Imus is the new morning show, fwiw.