DTV in Pittsburgh

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Jon Fox

DTV in Pittsburgh

Post by Jon Fox »

Well I received my DTV converter coupons from the Government on Saturday and I went to Best Buy yesterday and bought a converter box. I have to say I was VERY impressed, I had never really seen DTV before. I'm just using a cheap UHF antenna and right now I receive:
2.1 KDKA
4.1 WTAE
4.2 Weather/Traffic Watch 4
11.1 WPXI
11.2 WPXI Weather Plus
11.3 Retro TV Network (I LOVE THIS CHANNEL... LAST NIGHT I WATCHED AN HOUR OF HOGAN'S HEROES FOLLOWED BY THE HONEYMOONERS)
13.1 WQED
13.2 WQED 2
13.3 WQED Neighborhood Channel
22.1 WPMY
22.2 WPMY 2
53.1 WPGH
53.2 WPGH 2

When I get paid again, I might go and get another one for my second tv. With the coupon I only paid about 21 dollars.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

What is the link for the converter coupon sign-up?
Jon Fox

Coupon LINK

Post by Jon Fox »

genlock

Post by genlock »

Did you get a converter with a by-pass on it so you could watch regular tv for the duration?
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
Jon Fox

Re: DTV in Pittsburgh

Post by Jon Fox »

I actually watch television the old fashioned way with rabbit ears, so no I don't go back and forth from digital to analog. I'm not home that much because of work and I didn't want to pay the outrageous rates for cable. I am a classic tv nut and WPXI's 11.3 channel is an affiliate of the Retro TV Network they air the stuff TV Land used to air (Hogan Heroes, My Three Sons, The Honeymooners, Petticoat Junction, Ironside, etc...) Its nice to get some good television and not have to pay the big cable bill.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

I have personally tested several of these devices in Huntington with several different antenna, including a television top UHF, one of those neat little plastic box looking RadioShack models, and a Wineguard omnidirectional.

I love the Zenith DTT900. It was simple to set up, had a very nice-looking, well designed menu, and a sleek remote.

I got the best results with the big Wineguard, which is roof mounted. But I have to give props to RadioShack's sleek plastic box looking antenna for only $49. From the east end of Huntington, it pulled in all the stations except for WPBY. I was very impressed.

I believe the Zenith sells for $69 so your coupon won't quite cover it. But, it is a neat little box.
Jon Fox

Post by Jon Fox »

I got the Insignia converter at Best Buy... It cost $21 after I used the $40 coupon. I already had a cheap set top VHF/UHF antenna from Radio Shack. Like I said in my previous post it does a good job, I get all the Pittsburgh DTV channels. I just wish WPCW 19 Pittsburgh's CW was broadcasting in HD, but it won't until WPXI signs off Channel 11 in 2009... that's WPCW's digital channel.