DJ Seeks Forgiveness For Crimes

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

GRAYSON COUNTY, Ky. -- Former radio personality Todd Smith, known by many as "Todd Kelly," stole tens of thousands of dollars from a charity he helped create.

http://www.wlky.com/news/15993632/detail.html
jag

Re: DJ Seeks Forgiveness For Crimes

Post by jag »

It's a sad thing that this fellow has compromised his personal and professional credibility. What's truly sad is that he's compromised the trust that people can have in donating to worthwhile causes.

ALS is one of the most devastating conditions with with one can be afflicted. I, myself, have known people who have lived with, and died from, the condition. That anybody could be so cavalier towards so dire a malady is beyond me.

I tend to agree with the expressed sentiment that "he's sorry he was caught." To feel justified in affording himself access to the funding just because he did so much of the work only emphasizes that his motives were not exactly solely for the good of the cause.

No doubt that he's telling the truth...people make mistakes. Some are just more honest (or in this case, less honest) than others.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

jag wrote:What's truly sad is that he's compromised the trust that people can have in donating to worthwhile causes.

Indeed. I get frustrated by all the door knockers (we have a lot of those in my community). At least once per month, I get a door knocker, carrying a jar with some cheesy black & white, label they printed with their dot-matrix printer, seeking donations for so-and-so's funeral expenses, or such-and-such church's "feed the hungry" crap. :x
amayo

Post by amayo »

Knowing Todd, (and I do), I have no doubt the only thing he's sorry about is that he was caught. I've covered this from the beginning, and have been in court for nearly every session. I can say without reservation that he not only did this on purpose, but his Mom knew the whole time.

As for the interview Mike was able to get, Todd wrote to every radio and TV reporter in Louisville--including everyone on our staff--offering himself for an interview. I even got a collect call from him making the same offer. I had no desire to give him more publicity, so I told him to take his interview and-----well you can imagine.

As a bit of background, here's what he was doing when he was busted. He had convinced the entire radio community in Louisville that he was dying of ALS, then came the 'tragic news' that he also had bone cancer which had spread to his brain. I was getting regular updates on his condition via his web site, and I figured I'd better get ready for a funeral.

But then a funny thing happened. After a year, he showed no ALS symptoms, and the cancer was 'in remission'. Having been heavily involved in the Muscular Dystrophy Telethon in West Virginia, I know a bit about ALS, and how quickly it can consume you once it strikes. Before I could say anything, someone blew the whistle.

He was convicted of stealing about 150,000 dollars, but I can confirm it was more like 300,000. That's what was raised at just half the fundraisers held for his Foundation. I'd like to see this bastard hung by his nuts. :|