K-92 HD

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

AmpedNow

K-92 HD

Post by AmpedNow »

K-92 in Roanoke has flipped on the HD switch.

http://www.k92radio.com/

No HD-2 stream yet.

I'd like to make that I-64 trip to Lexington to see how well the HD stays locked thru those mountains...

That is, if I had an HD radio.
Clay JD Walker

Re: K-92 HD

Post by Clay JD Walker »

I carried their HD through Bluefield and lost it in Beckley...it's processed quite well, in comparison to some of the HDs I've picked up. Can't hear it where I am, because of their direction protection from KRR, though
dhodges82

Post by dhodges82 »

I live in Blacksburg and the K92 digital signal is excellent in our area. I carried the digital signal on I-81 south to Wytheville. They've actually turned on an HD-2 signal in the past week -- however, I'm a little confused what they're doing with it. I thought I heard the HD-2 ID as WJJS which is the Clear Channel station in Roanoke. Doesn't quite make sense to me. I've been impressed with their HD though -- they've done a good job. I listened to some Knoxville and Chatanooga HDs in the past few weeks and none of them sounded as good and worked as well as K92s.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Clay JD Walker wrote:I carried their HD through Bluefield and lost it in Beckley...
dhodges82 wrote:I live in Blacksburg and the K92 digital signal is excellent in our area. I carried the digital signal on I-81 south to Wytheville.
Nice....

Any reports out of western Michigan? :)
(Sorry....haven't been keeping up as well as I should....)
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

Arp2 wrote:Any reports out of western Michigan? :)
(Sorry....haven't been keeping up as well as I should....)
Aw, WXLK only pushes 93Kw @ 2050'. That won't get you past, what, Charleston and Durham? Analog, that is.

Is there some quick-and-easy generalization about these HD FM signals, like "If the analog signal is solid for 50 miles, the HD will reach about X miles?"
Clay JD Walker

Post by Clay JD Walker »

The way it's been explained to me is that it takes 10% of your total analog output to create the same coverage in digital 'HD', therefore, in theory, 10K digital makes 100K analog.

Of course, that's the case if you're in the flat lands of North Carolina, and have no multipath to deal with. I've gotten my HD past Raleigh and in Wythville.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Clay JD Walker wrote:I've gotten my HD past Raleigh and in Wythville.
...a certified business location, of course.
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
dhodges82

Post by dhodges82 »

Correction to my previous statement: K92's HD2 is re-broadcasting the Vibe 100 signal also owned by Mel Wheeler.