WCVZ 92.7 Zanesville Sold to the WHIZ Group

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

djMatty

WCVZ 92.7 Zanesville Sold to the WHIZ Group

Post by djMatty »

See article below:

http://www.whiznews.com/article.php?articleId=23027

CVCO sells Christian AC 92.7 WCVZ to the folks who own WHIZ-AM-FM-TV. WHIZ plans to move their 102.5 WHIZ format to 92.7. I would think when WHIZ 102.5 moves to Baltimore sell 102.5.
Matt
Program Director/Music Director/Owner
X music Online "The X"
Positive Rock Radio
http://www.xmusiconline.com/
Ace Purple

Re: WCVZ 92.7 Zanesville Sold to the WHIZ Group

Post by Ace Purple »

It would make sense to sell the 102.5 license to an established radio group in Columbus once that move is complete, provided that there is a buyer out there willing to pay a reasonable amount of money for it (whatever that might be). At least there are a variety of potential buyers with FM broadcast outlets already in the market: Saga, Wilks, Dispatch Broadcast Group (Radio Ohio), Radio One, North American Broadcasting, Fun With Radio, Runnymede (also in the midst of a move-in with WVKO-FM), and Bernard Radio. Clear Channel is maxed out there AFAIK, but they're not exactly in the buying mode right now anyway.
On Twitter: @LouPickney
djMatty

Post by djMatty »

It will be an interesting year for Radio in Columbus with the two move in's which should I would think be built sometime in 2009.

I don't see Dispatch picking up either station with them owning a news paper, TV and AM and FM already.

Don't see Clear Channel either but Wilks I think could easly try to sell off say 107.1 and pick up 102.5 or 101.7... heck 101.7 is beating their 107.1 in the latest book.
Matt
X music Online "The X"
Positive Rock Radio
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

Three move-ins: 102.5 to Baltimore, 101.7 to New Albany, and 104.3 into south Columbus (believe the city of license is supposed to be West Jefferson).

Last I saw, 102.5 move stalled due to zoning problems.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Anything more on 96.7 being pulled up this way from Jackson, Tom?

:?
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
sportsvoice

Post by sportsvoice »

Hoosier Daddy wrote:Anything more on 96.7 being pulled up this way from Jackson, Tom?

:?
I don't think that application has been approved yet. Several objections were lodged which should hold it up for a little bit at least.

The question I would have is if this takes the prospective buyer for the relocated WKOV off the table. The story seems to be that the money from this sale is financing CVCO's purchase of WRFD(AM) in Columbus, which will probably continue to give them a nice cash flow from its load of pay-for-pray programming.
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

Speaking of WCVZ, All Access reports that the FCC has rejected an appeal by Christian Voice of Central Ohio, Inc. (the station's former owners) of a $9,000 fine for airing ads on WCVZ.
sportsvoice

Post by sportsvoice »

Ace Purple wrote:Speaking of WCVZ, All Access reports that the FCC has rejected an appeal by Christian Voice of Central Ohio, Inc. (the station's former owners) of a $9,000 fine for airing ads on WCVZ.
That mess has been going on for a while. Apparently at one point they were licensed non-commercial and got busted for underwriting violations. Since then, they had the license modified to a commercial license.
djMatty

Post by djMatty »

The change over happened about 12:06 am, The WCVZ automation faded out into about 10 seconds of dead air then into the middle of a song that was on Z102 into ABC News then after the news the stations id' as "Today's Hits and Yesterdays Favorites Z102 and 92.7" they do ocassionaly run a promo from The River that says "please tune down to 89.3 to hear positive and encourging music"
Matt
X music Online "The X"
Positive Rock Radio
kentuckymedia

Post by kentuckymedia »

96.7 is rumored to be in negotiations with Coshocton Broadcasting. This new Frazeyburg signal would give them ample coverage into all three counties with overlap into Knox. Supposedly they want to launch a Rock format on the signal.
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

AllAccess.com reports that Southeaster Ohio Broadcasting has closed on its purchase of 92.7 WCVZ. Moreover, the report reveals that Southeastern has moved the country format from 102.5 WHIZ-FM to 92.7 in advance of 102.5 moving into Columbus market with a new COL of Baltimore, OH.

It's not clear at this point if 102.5 is simulcasting on 92.7 or if another format has surfaced yet on 102.5.
sportsvoice

Post by sportsvoice »

Ace Purple wrote:AllAccess.com reports that Southeaster Ohio Broadcasting has closed on its purchase of 92.7 WCVZ. Moreover, the report reveals that Southeastern has moved the country format from 102.5 WHIZ-FM to 92.7 in advance of 102.5 moving into Columbus market with a new COL of Baltimore, OH.

It's not clear at this point if 102.5 is simulcasting on 92.7 or if another format has surfaced yet on 102.5.
I thought the AC format moved from 102.5 to 92.7 (as "Z92"), and they were running automated country on 102.5 as ("Highway 102") pending a future move and sale. I'm not sure if they have found a usable site for the 102.5 tower yet, since it got tied up with zoning issues.

I would think that the economy and lack of potential buyers would slow down the move-in frenzy somewhat. In the case of selling WHIZ-FM, they are going to have to get $3.2 mil out of the sale to break even (make up the $2.2 mil they paid for WCVZ, plus they paid Vern Baldwin about $1 mil to dismiss a competing application to move 102.3 Wilmington closer to Columbus).

This sale also gives the WCVZ owners the cash they need to close their deal with Salem for WRFD-AM. They are forking out $4 mil for that AM daytimer, but I would figure it turns good money from all the paid preaching.
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

The 102.5 format moved to 92.7 last fall under an LMA, 102.5 has been automated country.
The WHIZ-FM app. was modified to an existing tower SW of Carroll, Ohio, NW of Lancaster (believe I've seen this tower--it's an old ATT microwave tower owned by American Tower.

As far as the various move-ins:

WNKO, 101.7 to New Albany from Newark has been granted
WKOV-FM, 96.7 from Jackson to Frazeysburg: still pending
WCMJ, Cambridge, change to 102.7, still pending
WCVO, 104.9--minor move north to accommodate WODB, West Jefferson--NIMBYS killed this move, they are now scrambling to find temporary site just north of Gahanna;
WODB, 104.3 from Richwood to West Jefferson: probably will be modified further as site south of downtown Columbus can no longer be used due to WCVO relocation failing. They have changed from smooth jazz to oldies; leaving the sister Pickerington 103.5 station as the only smooth jazz in Columbus
djMatty

Post by djMatty »

Tom Taggart wrote:The 102.5 format moved to 92.7 last fall under an LMA, 102.5 has been automated country.
The WHIZ-FM app. was modified to an existing tower SW of Carroll, Ohio, NW of Lancaster (believe I've seen this tower--it's an old ATT microwave tower owned by American Tower.
Tom,

Yes its a big microwave tower there south west of Carroll near pickerington rd NW/Lithopolis Rd NW... I drove by the area that the cordinates for the CP Mod show this past fall.. So all it would take to put this on would be mount up an FM antenna and install a transmitter/STL.

Their CP expires in 10/09 so I suspect we'll see them bulid this out sometime this summer... I don't think they would let that lapse with them wanting to sell.
Matt
X music Online "The X"
Positive Rock Radio
djMatty

Post by djMatty »

Tom Taggart wrote: WCVO, 104.9--minor move north to accommodate WODB, West Jefferson--NIMBYS killed this move, they are now scrambling to find temporary site just north of Gahanna;
WODB, 104.3 from Richwood to West Jefferson: probably will be modified further as site south of downtown Columbus can no longer be used due to WCVO relocation failing. They have changed from smooth jazz to oldies; leaving the sister Pickerington 103.5 station as the only smooth jazz in Columbus

Looks like they amended their app (WCVO) to move to a tower off Hamilton Rd in NE Columbus. The prior Application (which wasn't approved yet) was for a site off Harlem Rd near Hoover Dam.

WODB wanted to move to a tower near Grove City (off Route 62/3) but we'll see what happens if WCVO's move is approved and with WCVO finally vacating the studios on Reynoldsburg/New Albany Rd... I would think they want out of that property sooner than later. (I would think they would sell it to some rich New Abany developer with all the big expensive houses near the WCVO site).

The big kink is if WCVO sells their current transmitter propertly that leaves the WNKO 101.7 move in without a transmitter site (if the tower is removed).
Matt
X music Online "The X"
Positive Rock Radio
sportsvoice

Post by sportsvoice »

djMatty wrote: The big kink is if WCVO sells their current transmitter propertly that leaves the WNKO 101.7 move in without a transmitter site (if the tower is removed).
Oops.

I had heard some story once that a developer wanted to buy that property and get rid of the tower.
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

WCVO's present site has been sold and they need to vacate by November. They were going to move into Plains township, near the Delaware county line, to allow WODB to move to a site directly south of downtown Columbus, as opposed to over by the Franklin county line. This is the site the NIMBYs nixed. So the new move is to have some kind of tower site.

Never did check as to where WNKO was going to move to, except that it was somewhere in New Albany.
djMatty

Post by djMatty »

Tom Taggart wrote:WCVO's present site has been sold and they need to vacate by November. They were going to move into Plains township, near the Delaware county line, to allow WODB to move to a site directly south of downtown Columbus, as opposed to over by the Franklin county line. This is the site the NIMBYs nixed. So the new move is to have some kind of tower site.

Never did check as to where WNKO was going to move to, except that it was somewhere in New Albany.

Didn't know they where being kicked to the curb that soon. I know they had moved their studios last year.

Yeah they wanted a site north of New Albany orginally and that got NIMBY'ed and then they proposed another site near Hoover Dam and from what you say that was NIMBY'ed too... so yeah I guess their in a rush now to get approved somewhere (so the present tower on N Hamilton Rd works for them.

(bummer for WODB though)

Yes WNKO was to move to the present WCVO tower... but as we know that tower will disapear likely sometime after Nov.
Matt
X music Online "The X"
Positive Rock Radio
djMatty

Post by djMatty »

Just a heads up for anyone that cares.

As of Wednesday night at 7pm. WHIZ-FM 102.5 became WCVZ 102.5 and signed on from its new broadcast tower in Carroll (COL baltimore) serving columbus ohio... Still running the same automated country format out of Zanesville. (They are even running "ads" on there for Zanesville businesses (assume these where buys for Z92 and WHIZ-AM and included 102.5 also).
Matt
X music Online "The X"
Positive Rock Radio
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

Running out of time on the CP--they were delayed by NIMBY's at the original site near Baltimore.

This station is for sale--may even be a sale once the license is issued to cover the c.p.