BTLS to do mornings on WDYL

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Ace Purple

BTLS to do mornings on WDYL

Post by Ace Purple »

My former boss Bubba the Love Sponge has landed his first-ever Virginia affiliate, signing with Cox Radio's WDYL (Y-101) in the Richmond, VA market. His syndicated morning show goes on the air there on 1/5/2009 (along with debuting in Miami, Orlando and Ft. Myers that same day).
On Twitter: @LouPickney
AmpedNow

Re: BTLS to do mornings on WDYL

Post by AmpedNow »

I think Bubba will once again be a biggie in morning syndication. Congrats to him.

Y-101 is a marginal signal in the market, though. only 4kw @ 367'. They are also subject to enormous interference by co-channel DC-101 when the wind blows the wrong way. Even during normal conditions, interference from DC-101 is bad beginning around King's Dominion on I-95.

However, they have a CP to move to 100.9 and upgrade from an A to a B1 -- 15kw @ 427'. This is a substantial upgrade from their current facilities. Also the DC-101 interference issues will be put to rest.

Anyway, Bubba will be heard by more ears after the upgrade.

8)
Clay JD Walker

Post by Clay JD Walker »

BTLS is the only reason why I have a Sirius unit in the car...his damn show just sucks you in and you can't help but stay...which makes those 6 hour one way trips to West By God much easier. Lou, that must have been a cool job.
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

Working for Bubba was definitely a cool job, particularly the era when I was handling his syndication. I can assure you that it never got boring in my time with the show.
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

Clay JD Walker wrote:BTLS is the only reason why I have a Sirius unit in the car
Bubba won't be on Sirius beyond this month. He's addressing his status there on his show right now. I don't think that the powers-that-be in management at Sirius realize what they are about to lose.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Ace Purple wrote:Bubba won't be on Sirius beyond this month. He's addressing his status there on his show right now. I don't think that the powers-that-be in management at Sirius realize what they are about to lose.
Agreed.

I know Sirius is broke, but the last thing they should lose is talent that is hard to find anywhere.

This goes for the rest of the industry, too.

On satellite, I bet O & A get moved back to afternoons. R & F stay in middays, and Ferrall stays on at night. This will be close to the awesomeness of the WJFK/CBS hot talk era of 2001-2003.

8)
Clay JD Walker

Post by Clay JD Walker »

BTLS is the only reason I still own Sirius...when he's gone, so is my subscription...which is fine...more security in my own industry, ya know. Kinda felt bad having it in the car in the first place.