CC & CBS swap stations

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Bar Rat

CC & CBS swap stations

Post by Bar Rat »

Here in Border Patrol because one of them is a Maryland station...

http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/market ... -stations/
NEW YORK -- CBS Corp. said Monday that its radio arm has agreed to swap five mid-size market radio stations for two large market stations with Clear Channel Communications. "This deal represents a financially advantageous opportunity for us to shed some of our mid-size market stations while expanding in a top 10 market, which is our focus," said Leslie Moonves, president and chief executive officer of CBS. Clear Channel said the deal satisfies conditions that the Department of Justice placed on its approval of Clear Channel's merger with Thomas H. Lee Partners and Bain Capital Partners earlier this year. The deal will see Clear Channel obtain KBKS-FM (Seattle), WQSR-FM (Baltimore), KXJM-FM and KLTH-FM (Portland, Ore.), and KQJK-FM (Sacramento, Calif.). In return, CBS will acquire two stations in Houston, the sixth-largest radio market in the U.S.: KLOL-FM (Mega 101.1) and KHMX-FM (Mix 96.5).

Copyright © 2008 MarketWatch, Inc.
Ace Purple

Re: CC & CBS swap stations

Post by Ace Purple »

Very interesting about Clear Channel acquiring WQSR/Baltimore and KQJK/Sacramento. Both of those are Jack FM stations, and Clear Channel has only had one of those *ever*, and that was on a station in Amarillo, TX that the company was already in the works to sell off and that ended up going to Gap Broadcasting.

I suspect that Clear Channel might jettison the format in Sacramento once that station's licensing deal with Jack FM expires (or just change the name but keep the format). WQSR/Baltimore has been doing alright as far as I know, though with only the 12+ numbers to see I don't know. Clear Channel has a select few Variety Hits stations, including WLUE-FM in Louisville which has been doing great 25-54 numbers. It's not the company's forte, but it's not like Salem when they bought Bob FM in Honolulu in the early years of the format and everyone knew that they would ditch the Variety Hits format there (which is exactly what happened).
On Twitter: @LouPickney
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

There's significant overlap between WQSR and CC's DC FM signals, including some CHR that nobody's ever heard of... :wink:

'QSR was CBS's best signal in Baltimore. They recently flipped their worst signal (a highly directional, short-spaced Class B) 105.7 to sports WJZ-FM.
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

There is some interesting things here....

First, one has to wonder if CC will dump Jack from WQSR and flip it back to CHR. They were CHR as "B 102.7" in the late 90s/early 00s. Baltimore has been CHR-less since 2003 or so.

Second, KBKS Seattle is already a CHR known as "Kiss 106.1", and is doing really well. Obviously, I don't expect a name change anytime soon. Maybe a slight tweak from the L.A. KIIS influence, though. Seacrest probably lands another de facto major market.

As for KLOL/KHMX Houston, it will be interesting to see what they do, if anything. KLOL is Regional Mexican, and is doing pretty well. However, there is speculation that CBS may flip it to either active rock or sports talk. I would guess the latter if a flip happens... There more money there.

KHMX is a Hot AC consistently in the top 5. No change there.

An interesting HD side note: KLOL simulcasts n/t KTRH-AM on its HD-2. I wonder where CC will stick it now, since I'm certain CBS won't be interested in carrying it...
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

Clear Channel gains ownership of 102.7 Jack FM (WQSR) at midnight tonight. No April Fools' joke there. What they do with it remains to be seen. CC has only had one other Jack FM in its ownership ever, and that was in October 2007 on a station in Amarillo, TX that it was about to sell off.
On Twitter: @LouPickney