Angry Guys lawsuit (Cumulus/Cincinnati)

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Ace Purple

Angry Guys lawsuit (Cumulus/Cincinnati)

Post by Ace Purple »

This is an interesting story out of Cincinnati...

-----
Richard Skinner, half of the "Two Angry Guys" who was let go by Cumulus' WFTK-FM (96.5 ROCK) in November, has sued Cumulus in federal court for continuing to use the "Angry Guys" morning team name after his termination. He seeks unspecified damages for unfair trade practices and "trademark dilution."

Link to the full Cincinnati Enquirer story
On Twitter: @LouPickney
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Re: Angry Guys lawsuit (Cumulus/Cincinnati)

Post by Jay Nunley »

What are his chances?
genlock

Post by genlock »

I wonder if this guy was one of "Two Angry Guys" before working for the station?
I also wonder if he spent any personal money whatsoever on the promotion of the persona?
Otherwise, It would be like Tim Irr quitting and wanting to take the "Newschannel 3" moniker away exclusively.
He will waste a lot of money on lawyers.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
sportsvoice

Post by sportsvoice »

His chances could be pretty good...the article says that the name was registered as a service mark to him and not to the station.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

genlock wrote:I wonder if this guy was one of "Two Angry Guys" before working for the station?
Yes. The show had previously been on another station in the market.

I think.

My memory's fuzzy because the show was essentially....well, not particularly relevant to much.

But, yes, it did have enough of a following that you'd want to protect the name. I'll make an obscure reference that no one might get, but it's a pretty good analogy -- The Screensavers with Leo LaPorte, Patrick Norton, and Kevin Rose (yes, that Kevin Rose). Almost nobody saw it, but it had a passionate and consistent following plenty valuable enough to be easily monetized and that would immediately start watching it again if it were to come back anywhere.
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
sportsvoice

Post by sportsvoice »

Arp2 wrote:
genlock wrote:I wonder if this guy was one of "Two Angry Guys" before working for the station?
Yes. The show had previously been on another station in the market.

I think.

My memory's fuzzy because the show was essentially....well, not particularly relevant to much.

But, yes, it did have enough of a following that you'd want to protect the name. I'll make an obscure reference that no one might get, but it's a pretty good analogy -- The Screensavers with Leo LaPorte, Patrick Norton, and Kevin Rose (yes, that Kevin Rose). Almost nobody saw it, but it had a passionate and consistent following plenty valuable enough to be easily monetized and that would immediately start watching it again if it were to come back anywhere.
I think it was on two other stations prior to going to 96.5 -- 1160 WBOB when it was sports "1160 BOB" and then on 1360 Homer (can't remember callsign there).