Hornets, snakes, and thieves, oh, my!

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Dave Loudin

Hornets, snakes, and thieves, oh, my!

Post by Dave Loudin »

RADIO STATIONS WPAY/WPFB, INC. wrote:AS REPORTED IN THE LICENSEE'S INITIAL STA REQUEST, THE WPAY (AM) GROUND SYSTEM HAS BEEN STOLEN. BEFORE THIS LATEST INCIDENT, THE LICENSEE PREVIOUSLY REPLACED THE GROUND SYSTEM TWICE. IN BOTH CASES IT WAS STOLEN WITHIN DAYS.

BECAUSE OF THESE CIRCUMSTANCES, IT HAS BEEN NECESSARY FOR STATION WPAY TO REDUCE ITS ANTENNA INPUT POWER FROM 800 WATTS TO APPROXIMATELY 250 WATTS PENDING REPLACEMENT OF THE GROUND SYSTEM.

BECAUSE OF NUMEROUS DIFFICULTIES ENCOUNTERED, THAT REPLACEMENT HAS NOT YET BEEN COMPLETED.

THE WPAY SITE IS SOMEWHAT REMOTE AND THE LICENSEE HAS HAD TO DEAL WITH PROBLEMS OF INFESTATIONS OF SNAKES AND HORNETS AT THE SITE AND THE NEED FOR SECURITY TO AVOID FURTHER THEFT. ON TWO OR THREE OCCASIONS, THE LICENSEE HAS HIRED AN INDIVIDUAL TO DO THE TRENCHING WORK FOR THE NEW GROUND SYSTEM ONLY TO HAVE THE PERSON HIRED FAIL TO GO FORWARD WITH THE WORK BECAUSE THE PRESENCE OF SNAKES AND HORNETS.

THE LICENSEE NOW HAS HIRED A COMPANY THAT IS MAINTAINING THE GROUNDS ON A WEEKLY BASIS IN AN EFFORT TO CONTROL THE SNAKE POPULATION. THE LICENSEE PRESENTLY HAS ADDITIONAL APPLICATIONS FOR INDIVIDUALS TO DO THE FIELD WORK FOR THE NEW GROUND SYSTEM AND HOPES TO HIRE SOMEONE IN THE NEAR FUTURE. THE LICENSEE IS STILL WORKING ON THE PROBLEMS OF SITE SECURITY AND CONTROL OF THE HORNETS.

THE LICENSEE IS HOPEFUL THAT IT WILL BE ABLE TO OVERCOME REMAINING PROBLEM AND RESTORE THE GROUND SYSTEM WITHIN THE NEXT 180 DAYS.
I checked - no ground system in any of my pockets. You guys find any?
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
genlock

Re: Hornets, snakes, and thieves, oh, my!

Post by genlock »

Use railroad rail and concrete instead of that expensive copper.
Use less than 120 radials. Maybe 12.
Snakes and hornets? I would hire experienced minority workers to do the job.
Or out of work radio announcers.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
Jet Black

Post by Jet Black »

Remote location? Theft a problem? Snake infestation? The clever hillbilly could be engaged to form a solution involving a .22 Long Winchester Gallery gun, one jug of corn squeezin's, six boxes of large twist connectors, and about a cubic yard of unsuspecting copperheads. It could work!
God Bless Us, Every One.
sportsvoice

Post by sportsvoice »

Here's a novel idea: Take it dark and turn in the license! I doubt the station even bills enough to cover the repairs, or even its own electric bill. The signal is worthless with the horrible ground conductivity there anyway.
contracteng

Post by contracteng »

I told Jay at the time they had him laid the radials on top of the ground that it wouldn't last.
t
genlock

Post by genlock »

As lazy as I am, laying the radials on the ground might be tempting.

Yes, give it up.
Nobody would be stupid enough to put an AM like that on from scratch.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
sportsvoice

Post by sportsvoice »

For a while they had an application to diplex it onto the WIOI tower. Should have done that. The ground conductivity would probably also be better down by the river than on top of that hill. Of course, I have no idea what kind of shape the WIOI ground system is in.

I guess snakes and hornets aren't enough to deter the determined tweaker.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Not only do they need a ground system but the monopole needs serious help. When the wind blows the wires are so loose that they hit the tower. The whole thing is homemade which is not a bad thing it just needs fixing up a bit.
contracteng

Post by contracteng »

I would be surpised if WPAY AM is even running full power.
t