Sirius XM has 15% of all audio listenership

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

AmpedNow

Sirius XM has 15% of all audio listenership

Post by AmpedNow »

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/hey-s ... audio.html

Interesting pie charts here.

Satellite Radio still has significant competition in terms of capturing the ears of U.S. adults. Here's how other mediums stack up in terms of Daily Reach:
Broadcast Radio: 77.3%
CDs/Tapes: 37.1%
Satellite Radio: 15.3%
Portable Audio (MP3/iPod): 11.6%
Digital Audio (on computer): 10.4%
Digital Audio (streamed): 9.3%
Audio via Mobile Phone: 1.6%

Still pretty impressed considering that out of all those mediums, satellite radio is the only one you need to individually pay for as a subscription (mobile audio doesn't count since it's part of a greater mobile data package).
Another interesting thing from the study is how much more men tend to listen to satellite radio over women (daily average): 115 minutes versus 54 minutes. That's more than double the amount of listening!
Maybe women do most of their listening in the car.
Also, the satellite radio listeners tend to be in the 35-54 age range, have advanced education degrees, and have two of more kids in the household.
So that's where the money demo is going...
Tom Taggart

Re: Sirius XM has 15% of all audio listenership

Post by Tom Taggart »

Muzak went belly-up because many restaurants and other businesses bought a satellite receiver and piped XM or Sirius into the PA. One source of elevator music is as good as another, especially if it is cheaper.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Tom's right. Virtually every public place has SiriusXM patched into the PA. I have seen this more and more and doctors' offices.
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

I'm surprised that satellite radio's percentage is that high given the economic conditions out there. Something bolstering that stat might be that SiriusXM music (and some talk programming) is also available via DirecTV.
On Twitter: @LouPickney
DJSHOCKLEY

Post by DJSHOCKLEY »

I simply don't buy it..

They gotta do SOMETHING to convince advertisers to invest in Sat radio... Putting out flawed research designed to convince that more people listen to Sirius than actually do is part of the game plan... Nothing new..
Who killed the radio star??
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

DJSHOCKLEY wrote:I simply don't buy it..

They gotta do SOMETHING to convince advertisers to invest in Sat radio... Putting out flawed research designed to convince that more people listen to Sirius than actually do is part of the game plan... Nothing new..
There's still tons of potential with the service as a whole. They can use it for more than "radio".

Terrestrial and even 3G mobile streaming cannot provide almost seamless, coast to coast coverage. That alone is worth something.

Unfortunately for SIrius XM, many still see pay radio as a expendable luxury. Esp in these economic conditions.

I think there is still slow and steady growth in the long term, as satellite receivers are becoming integrated into so many different things.

I still can't do without it. It would be easier in a larger market with more stations and choices, HD or otherwise. But definitely not around here.
DJSHOCKLEY

Post by DJSHOCKLEY »

AmpedNow wrote:
DJSHOCKLEY wrote:I simply don't buy it..

There's still tons of potential with the service as a whole. They can use it for more than "radio".

Terrestrial and even 3G mobile streaming cannot provide almost seamless, coast to coast coverage. That alone is worth something.

Unfortunately for SIrius XM, many still see pay radio as a expendable luxury. Esp in these economic conditions.

I think there is still slow and steady growth in the long term, as satellite receivers are becoming integrated into so many different things.

I still can't do without it. It would be easier in a larger market with more stations and choices, HD or otherwise. But definitely not around here.

Tru dat
Who killed the radio star??
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

It took more than 20 years for the public to fully accept FM radio as being superior to AM.
Longer than that for the majority to warm up to cable vs. over the air television.
Satellite radio is in its infancy.
Long term marketing plus integration into car radios, home radios, phones, etc. will help.

:)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Step-grandfather put WPDX-FM on the air, and removed it 2 years later as a failure. It was several more years before it returned.

Satellite radio is here to stay... time to figure out how to adapt, while keeping local flavor and flair in your terrestrial broadcasts... or die.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Hoosier Daddy wrote:It took more than 20 years for the public to fully accept FM radio as being superior to AM.
Longer than that for the majority to warm up to cable vs. over the air television.
Satellite radio is in its infancy.
Long term marketing plus integration into car radios, home radios, phones, etc. will help.

:)
The same could be said for HD Radio, although the advent of smartphones and 3G mobile streaming has changed it from a "standalone" feature to a "soft evolution" of broadcasting, imo.

Put the chips in more radios so that it's just "there", more people will discover its existence.

Sirius and XM knew this from the start, which is why they struck deals with automakers years before the service even existed.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Lester wrote:Step-grandfather put WPDX-FM on the air, and removed it 2 years later as a failure. It was several more years before it returned.

Satellite radio is here to stay... time to figure out how to adapt, while keeping local flavor and flair in your terrestrial broadcasts... or die.
This.

Unless you compete with the advantage you have (locality), you will lose, because sounding like the satellite is a no win scenario, they will beat you with variety and bandwidth every time.

Hint: I have had Sirius since 2004... I live in Huntington, WV. There is NO local content or information on the satellite radio, I have to go to AM and FM for that.

Unfortunately there isn't much local information there either, except someone in the mornings and afternoons reading me stories from the Herald-Dispatch website. Which I have actually suggested to my bosses (at Champion) that we should send Clear Channel a bill for!
"Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached"
-Manuel II Palaiologos
Byzantine Emperor (1391-1425)