The Sports Machine is gone

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Mr. Jones

The Sports Machine is gone

Post by Mr. Jones »

DCRTV:
Breaking: 4 Legend George Michael Dies - 12/24 - First here. DCRTV hears that legendary DC sportscaster George Michael (right) died early this morning after battling cancer for two years. He was 70. A native of St. Louis, Michael anchored the sports desk at Channel 4/WRC from 1980 to 2007. He also hosted numerous sports programs for the NBC station, including his "Sports Machine," which was nationally syndicated. Previously, he was a DJ at NYC "top 40" outlet WABC, where he was noted for his boisterous personality and energetic style. Before that, Michael was the popular evening deejay at Philadelphia's "top 40" WFIL radio from 1966 until his move to WABC radio, where he also did sports work at sister WABC-TV before joining WRC. More: WTEM reported the news at 9:50 AM, confirmed by "multiple sources." And there's a posting from a longtime friend on the NY Radio Message Board. The Washington Post confirmed the news at 10:30 AM.
:(
genlock

Re: The Sports Machine is gone

Post by genlock »

For a while George used an RCA TR-70 vtr as a prop.
He pretended to roll his own tapes.
It was an "A" model, I think.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
AmpedNow

Re: The Sports Machine is gone

Post by AmpedNow »

Used to watch him every evening on News 4. He made the sports just as interesting as Bob Ryan did the weather.

His coverage from Redskin Park with Sonny Jurgensen throughout the NFL season was always fun to watch.

He was an institution in DC. Probably the best sportscaster I have ever seen, period. He will be missed...

Here's a clip I found from "The Redskins Report" where they discuss Jessica Simpson's "man face".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENF-ELbGNsM

Here's one that was posted on here awhile back of him and Jim Vance cracking up on the news about a model falling down on a runway. Classic.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/station/Mo ... on_DC.html

Here's a tribute to him, with him being introduced by Johnny Carson when he went on the Tonight Show, along with more news highlights.

:(

Come to think of it, NBC 4 News with him, Bob, Jim, and Doreen was the best news operation I have ever seen. Period. I feel lucky that I was able to watch them together for several years.