WKKS FM on a new transmitter

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

contracteng

WKKS FM on a new transmitter

Post by contracteng »

As about 1:00 p.m. on April 2 WKKS FM Vanceburg, KY is operating on a new Armstrong 2.5 KW solid state transmitter.
t
sportsvoice

Re: WKKS FM on a new transmitter

Post by sportsvoice »

contracteng wrote:As about 1:00 p.m. on April 2 WKKS FM Vanceburg, KY is operating on a new Armstrong 2.5 KW solid state transmitter.
What did they upgrade from?
contracteng

Post by contracteng »

Harris 2.5K
t
genlock

Post by genlock »

contracteng wrote:Harris 2.5K
Sounds like a good choice.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
sportsvoice

Post by sportsvoice »

genlock wrote:
Yeah, I've heard Harris is really doing a crap job of support these days and has cut off support for a number of their older units.
contracteng

Post by contracteng »

One of my biggist faults with them is that they all go to lunch from 1-2 eastern time so you can't get any help till they get back from lunch.
t
Mike

Post by Mike »

sportsvoice wrote:
genlock wrote:
Yeah, I've heard Harris is really doing a crap job of support these days and has cut off support for a number of their older units.
An engineer friend of mine once told me that Harris transmitters (the modern company) are good only as fire hazards. Their old school stuff, such as the MW-1 and MW-5, good, but as you say, they probably have no clue as to how to support them anymore.

WCMI, from what I recall, had one of the original MW-1, which replaced an old Gates BC-1G. Don't know what it's using now. They were still using the MW-1 at the old 47th and Clay street transmitter site (which WCMI had broadcasted from since the early 40's and was where WCMI-FM (93.7) originally also broadcasted from from 1948 to the 60's)

WCMI also used to have a Blaw-Knox 1/2 wave freestanding tower. Sad that this is gone too. Those were RARE. Same company that made WLW's tower. That tower probably should have been on the national register of historic places. WCMI is Kentucky's oldest surviving radio station. WCMI-FM (93.7) is also Kentucky's oldest FM station, and by years the oldest Tri-State FM...

WIRO also used a MW-1. Which I got to see once, it was in great condition 10 years ago. Have no idea if its' still in service. 107.1 also used a Harris 3K FM transmitter, in the same building on the same tower. Which has moved.

I wonder if WKEE-FM is still using their old Rockwell-Collins?
"Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached"
-Manuel II Palaiologos
Byzantine Emperor (1391-1425)
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

Difficult to get some of the transistors used in the MW-1 modules. Also, older transmitters would develop cracks in the circuit traces (esp. oscillator board) & "Molex disease" ( the pins of the Molex connectors would corrode, not make good contact).