Random observations

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

sportsvoice

Random observations

Post by sportsvoice »

WNXT-FM has some odd sounding processing...very "tubby" low-end but with a "swishy" sound like a low bitrate .wma file on the high-end. Doesn't have the clippy sound like most processing now but it seems like a multiband compressor with the release time cranked up super-fast and heavy drive into gain-reduction as it really sucks up the noise big time in fades and low volume sections. Old 8100A maybe? Not sure where the digital-like swishiness would be coming from though unless it's in their automation system. Funny part is that sister station WZZZ sounds nothing like this.

WPAY is, well, WPAY. Processing sounded okay, didn't get to roll tape for gaffes from what passes for jocks at that station. I need tape of Tara because she is so awful that words fail to convey an adequate description.

I like the Dial Global "Hits Now" format on WXZQ but their audio is absolute crap. It was horribly muddy compared to Sirius...it's usually the other way around with the heavily bit-reduced codec on Sirius vs. FM.
RadioGeek

Re: Random observations

Post by RadioGeek »

If you think WXZQ sounds bad go up the dial a little more to their sister station 100.9 WXIZ. Wow. Just. Wow.
sportsvoice

Re: Random observations

Post by sportsvoice »

RadioGeek wrote:If you think WXZQ sounds bad go up the dial a little more to their sister station 100.9 WXIZ. Wow. Just. Wow.
Agreed, it's been terrible as long as I can remember.