WLW fires Eddie Fingers from top-rated afternoon drive show

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

EZ103.3FM

WLW fires Eddie Fingers from top-rated afternoon drive show

Post by EZ103.3FM »

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/tv/2010/10/ ... s-fingers/

Excerpt:
When long-time radio personality Eddie Fingers was summoned to a contract renewal meeting Thursday morning, he thought that he would “sign it and we’d hug.” He was fired instead. His absence from Thursday’s 3-6 p.m. WLW-AM show prompted speculation that his dismissal was another one of the station’s scams during an employee’s vacation.

“I can verify this is not a stunt. Apparently I (infuriated) the wrong guy,” Fingers said from his home this morning. He said he plans to resume his radio career after his six-month “non-compete” clause expires. He also agreed to chat with his fans online noon Tuesday at Cincinnati.com to explain why WLW cut off its Fingers. (Sign up for a reminder below.)

Fingers, 53, just celebrated his 25th anniversary with sister stations WLW-AM (700) and WEBN-FM (102.7). After Gary Burbank retired, he moved to the AM in January 2008 with former Reds player Tracy Jones.

About a month ago, Fingers he exchanged emails about his contract with an out-of-town executive for San Antonio-based Clear Channel, he said. The company had offered him a new contract; Fingers responded by saying he already had an option for a third year on the contract he signed two years ago, he said.

“They pretended that the option didn’t exist,” Fingers said. He countered by proposing to eliminate a bonus, but “keep the basic (contract) structure in place,” he said.

Fingers, whose “Eddie & Tracy Show” was No. 1 in afternoon drive, said he was told a corporate executive above Clear Channel’s six stations here decided to terminate him. Cincinnati market manager Chuck Fredrick and AM operations director Darryl Parks wanted him to stay, Fingers said. Fredrick and Parks have not responded to requests for a comment.

“I was told, ‘We reached an impasse,’ and goodbye,” Fingers said. “I did ask Chuck at one point, ‘If I offer to take two-thirds of my salary, I’m still fired?’ And he said, ‘The call has been made.’ I’ve been told by many others that I was chosen to make an example for Clear Channel. If they can fire Eddie Fingers from a No. 1 show, they can fire anyone,” he said.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going, everybody was talking too much." - Yogi Berra
the voice

Re: WLW fires Eddie Fingers from top-rated afternoon drive show

Post by the voice »

Just shows you how the CC goons work.
Mike

Post by Mike »

CC is a dinosaur basking in the frozen winter paradise of Algore's man made global warming (and dying because of it yet blaming it on the heat).

In other words, it is living in an alternative reality of it's own delusional creation ignoring the fact that what is really happening is the 180' opposite of what they think is happening.

CC is doomed. So is radio, really. The future of broadcasting IS the Internet, and this reality is here, now.
"Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached"
-Manuel II Palaiologos
Byzantine Emperor (1391-1425)
Bar Rat

Post by Bar Rat »

rumor has it that Matt Bruning is covering the statehouse for WLW