98X Charleston, SC

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Ace Purple

98X Charleston, SC

Post by Ace Purple »

I know South Carolina isn't a border state, but I thought it was worth noting that LM Communications (which also has stations in Charleston, WV and Lexington, KY) debuted my old boss, Bubba the Love Sponge, in mornings on rock station 98X in Charleston, SC this morning. 98X used to be a Howard Stern affiliate from 2002 until Stern left for Sirius at the end of 2005. Morning show syndication for male-skewing shows has been very difficult as of late for everyone in the game (PPM markets are especially tough), so I'm happy that BTLS landed a new affiliate.
On Twitter: @LouPickney
AmpedNow

Re: 98X Charleston, SC

Post by AmpedNow »

I'm really disliking PPM as time goes on.

Its methodology favors high-cuming, low TSL formats over low-cume, high TSL formats.

The FCC's fear-mongering of several years ago brought hot talk to its knees.

PPM finished it off.
Bob Campbell

Re: 98X Charleston, SC

Post by Bob Campbell »

AmpedNow wrote:I'm really disliking PPM as time goes on.

Its methodology favors high-cuming, low TSL formats over low-cume, high TSL formats.

The FCC's fear-mongering of several years ago brought hot talk to its knees.

PPM finished it off.
PPM doesn't "favor" cume over TSL, it has revealed that real listening patterns are different than what diaries recorded. People who are P1s of a Rush or Bubba, who use to listen for a short period but write them in in the diary for a longer period, are now not getting away with it. The PPM, for all its faults, and there are many, does not lie about what is being listened to. It's not hurting Hot talk that has great content. See KRXQ Sacramento, with an all talk morning show and nearly all talk afternoon show. They have dominated not only their target demos but everybody else's since PPM came in. PPM is killing a lot of heritage morning shows that have been relying for years on fans filling out diaries whether the station was on them or not. Shows providing compelling content are kicking ass. The old adage is truer now than ever; "Content is King".