Junkies rant about CBS, WJFK

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Ace Purple

Junkies rant about CBS, WJFK

Post by Ace Purple »

The Sports Junkies, who do mornings for 106.7 the Fan in Washington, went off about the problems they have with the station on today's show. Segment 9 in particular was interesting -- and I can understand their anger/frustration with 106.7's signal having problems, particularly with PPM being able to demonstrate its impact to their core demo.

http://1067thefandc.cbslocal.com/2010/1 ... r-4-11910/
On Twitter: @LouPickney
Tom Taggart

Re: Junkies rant about CBS, WJFK

Post by Tom Taggart »

WJFK is shoe-horned in, very short-spaced. Absent copious applications of money it would be a far-suburban Virginia station.
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

CBS has notoriously underfunded that station. The Junkies have regularly complained about the state of their studio, with wires of all sorts dangling at their feet. I think CBS is wanting to move 'JFK to their complex in Lanham, MD, so they don't want to spend anything in Fairfax if they don't have to.

Lanham is over 25 miles from Manassas, but may be inside the 54 dBu contour.
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

JFK is pretty much a Northern VA station. While they lack full market coverage due to short spacing in Baltimore, it didn't really matter because they cover the highly affluent suburbs. This is why they were a huge money maker during the Stern days.

But now with the recession and the fact their listenership is a fraction of what it once was, I can see where it would be neglected now.

I don't see how they can Lanham with their 54 with their directional null in that direction. Also it's at that point that 106.5 really starts stomping on them.

There's no way to correct these problems, either. They are as close to DC as they can get.
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

AmpedNow wrote:But now with the recession and the fact their listenership is a fraction of what it once was, I can see where it would be neglected now.
The Junkies were talking about finishing in the top two M25-54 in their morning drive timeslot on a regular basis, so at least they are hitting their demo consistently if what they said is true. If they are doing so with a weaker signal, then all the better for them. But it's DC, not market #150, and you'd think that CBS Radio would want to keep the signal as strong as possible if doing otherwise would hurt the ratings of a show drawing consistent #2 M25-54 ratings in the PPM weeklies.

I know that WJFK-FM is short-spaced, but that seems different than having transmitter problems making a challenging signal even weaker. Is there more to this that I just don't know about?
On Twitter: @LouPickney
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

OK, am I missing something here? Will someone please explain to me what gives these DOUCHEBAGS permission to go on the air and rip their station like this? Maybe its because I nearly went blind staring at those God-awful Redskins colors (die hard Cowboys fan here) but I have a hard time having sympathy for these morons. Do they think that airing their laundry on the air is going to help their cause? Shut the fu%K up and do your jobs.

'Just sayin'....
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

daveinthemorning wrote:OK, am I missing something here? Will someone please explain to me what gives these DOUCHEBAGS permission to go on the air and rip their station like this? Maybe its because I nearly went blind staring at those God-awful Redskins colors (die hard Cowboys fan here) but I have a hard time having sympathy for these morons. Do they think that airing their laundry on the air is going to help their cause? Shut the fu%K up and do your jobs.

'Just sayin'....

Well said. If I were the CE, I would do only what is absolutely necessary to 1) maintain the license 2) not get fired. If I were the GM, I would show them the door.
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

It's been part of the shtick of just about every show at WJFK for years. Even G. Gordon Liddy bashed the "East German" transmitting equipment when he was on mid-days ( his first radio gig, BTW). EB is famous for his rants, and the meltdown he had at WHFS after the wardrobe malfunction was epic.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

This is true. It's almost some sort of warped tradition for WJFK hosts to bash the station itself. Even Stern used to wonder out loud at times why they put him on "an inferior signal" in DC.

If I remember correctly, their backup transmitter is in Centreville, located off the Fairfax County Parkway. This site is about 10 miles to the west of their main TX site, with a lower HAAT.

There's no way it offers the same coverage, esp to points east of town. The backup signal would be virtually nonexistent in Lanham. Moving the studios there would require not only a COL change, but a TX site change as well. Neither of which the FCC would likely approve.

What they need to do is take that sorry wheel of failed formats off of 94.7 and put the WJFK format and calls on its superior signal, and make 106.7 the failed formats frequency.

Or bring the old HFS back...
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

The backup is south of Fairfax at the intersection of rt. 123 (Ox Rd.) and the Fairfax County Parkway. The tower was home to channel 66 before everything went digital.