Are CD101's Days Numbered?

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Mr. Jones

Are CD101's Days Numbered?

Post by Mr. Jones »

In June 2010, Fun With Radio’s “CD101” WWCD Grove City/Columbus, OH sold off its longtime time home at 101.1 and began leasing 102.5 from Southeastern Ohio Broadcasting System.

Based on a pair of domain registrations it appears the station may soon come under the control of Salem Media.

Ryan Moran, Operations Manager of Salem’s Christian Talk 880 WRFD registered 1025TheFish.com and FMTalk1025.com on behalf of Salem Media of Ohio, the licensee of WRFD. The former would seem to indicate Salem’s Christian AC brand, the latter a Conservative Talk mix using the usual array of Salem’s in-house syndication and other syndicated hosts not currently cleared in the market.

The question now becomes will Salem be purchasing 102.5 outright or replacing CD101 as leased operator of the station. Will CD101 move to another frequency in the market, or is it at the end of its journey?
http://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/ ... -numbered/
Hoosier Daddy

Re: Are CD101's Days Numbered?

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

I'm surprised they lasted this long. Columbus is a brutal radio market, and I believe CD101 was the only stand-alone, locally owned station on the dialscape.

8)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
djMatty

Post by djMatty »

Hoosier Daddy wrote:I'm surprised they lasted this long. Columbus is a brutal radio market, and I believe CD101 was the only stand-alone, locally owned station on the dialscape.

8)
104.9 WCVO is a locally owned CCM in the market.. Naturally you can't put them in the same league as CD101 as they have a different target/goal..

Could "Fun with radio" be fishing for another station in the market? rumors elsewhere is that CD101 @ 102.5 might try to LMA 101.7 WNKO which reaches the market from the North East.

Naturally SOUTHEASTERN OHIO BROADCASTING SYSTEMS, INC. doesn't want to hold onto the 102.5 license forever (they did not upgrade it to keep it) ... Despite FUN With Radio making a few pennies off the sell of 101.1 Mhz to tOSU ... I am sure most of that is going to the LMA payments to SOUTHEASTERN OHIO BROADCASTING SYSTEMS, INC. for the use of 102.5... and if someone else is willing to bring more cash to the table... then WWCD goes bye bye... I am pretty sure there is an "out clause" in the LMA agreement with Fun With Radio .. that says "If we sell the station, you don't get to program it anymore" ...

Will salem put a Fish on in the market? That remains to be seen.. WRFD AM 880 is a pay to play station.. ALL of the ministries outside of Salem's own programs are paying to air on that station... think of it as a Brokered Christian station.. I am sure their making a profit for being a daytime only license. Elsewhere people are rumoring that Salem could go talk in Columbus ... however I don't see that likely ... but we'll see..

Radio in the Capital city could get interesting.. (people never thought WLZT would drop that sleepy AC format to take planks off the Sunny ship for their current mix of Classic Hits/Oldies .. ) but it happened :)
Matt
Program Director/Music Director/Owner
X music Online "The X"
Positive Rock Radio
http://www.xmusiconline.com/
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

Update (again, from RadioInsight):
Update 10/25: In a comment on their Facebook page in regards to our report, CD101 made the following statement on their status:

We have an LMA in place with Southeast Ohio Broadcasting, which we have been operating under since WWCD started broadcasting from 102.5. A sale of the station would not affect the LMA, and WWCD looks forward to continuing to provide independent radio to central Ohio listeners for years to come.

Instant Insight: What is telling about the statement is that CD101 acknowledges a sale of the station could be taking place. I hope for their sake there is no way for Salem or any other future owner to break the lease, as these domain registrations make it clear someone in Salem’s management structure is already making future plans for the station.
https://www.facebook.com/cd101/posts/149820355115447
djMatty

Post by djMatty »

rumors elsewhere put it in Salem's hands by Dec 1st... Will be interesting to see if this all comes true.. Needless to say the last few months for Columbus Radio has been interesting (93.3 going oldies/classic hits) 98.9 going from Urban to Rock (Classic Hits as Jack FM) ... and now the possible end of CD101...
Matt
X music Online "The X"
Positive Rock Radio
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

djMatty wrote:rumors elsewhere put it in Salem's hands by Dec 1st... Will be interesting to see if this all comes true.. Needless to say the last few months for Columbus Radio has been interesting (93.3 going oldies/classic hits) 98.9 going from Urban to Rock (Classic Hits as Jack FM) ... and now the possible end of CD101...
Something's always changing in Columbus radio, that's for sure.

8)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
djMatty

Post by djMatty »

Looks like "FM Talk 102.5" is becoming closer to reality...

http://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/ ... rkLMPJjPqG
Matt
X music Online "The X"
Positive Rock Radio