Reds radio on WLW

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

EZ103.3FM

Reds radio on WLW

Post by EZ103.3FM »

THE POWER OF REDS RADIO
(from John Kiesewetter's blog at cincinnati.com: http://cincinnati.com/blogs/tv/2012/09/ ... /#comments)
Reds fans have told Marty Brennaman how much they love listening to games on the radio for years, and now he has more proof.

New Arbitron data released Friday says 29 percent of men age 25-54 listen to the Reds on WLW-AM (700).

That’s the highest quarter-hour audience share of all Major League Baseball teams for that target demographic, said Chris Meinhardt, the Atlanta-based manager for Arbitron Sports research.

“It’s a way of life in Cincinnati,” said Brennaman, 70, in his 39th season as Reds radio voice. “People will listen regardless, whether they win 100 games or lose 100 games.”

With the Reds on pace to win over 90 games, Arbiton’s data shows that the Reds’ game audience in that demographic is almost three times the audience share for any other station here.

“People go to the Reds on radio when they’re on, no matter what format they listen to – country music, rock or pop,” said Bill Reinberger, Reds vice president for corporate sales.

Reds fans from other stations boost WLW-AM’s audience by about 15 percent, said Meinhardt, a Springboro native who co-hosted the “Fox 45 Kids Club” on Dayton’s WRGT-TV in the early 1990s. He has worked for Arbitron since 1998.

Reds games also are the top draw for women 25-54, he says. The 10.9 percent audience share during games beats all stations here, too.

“People have always told me the same thing – They turn down the (TV) sound and listen to the radio,” Brennaman said. “This was a radio town before I go here, and it will be a radio town after I leave.”
"It was impossible to get a conversation going, everybody was talking too much." - Yogi Berra