The CW Shifts In Cleveland

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Mr. Jones

The CW Shifts In Cleveland

Post by Mr. Jones »

From WBNX to WUAB, beginning Monday:

https://www.cleveland.com/tv-blog/index ... he_cw.html
By Mark Dawidziak, The Plain Dealer
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- WUAB Channel 43 becomes the new Northeast Ohio home for the CW starting Monday, July 16. WBNX Channel 55, based in Cuyahoga Falls, has been the area's CW affiliate since January 2006, when the network was launched after a merger of two mini networks, UPN and the WB.

The CW has programmed 10 prime-time hours a week, 8-10 p.m. Monday-Friday. In the fall, it will add a sixth night, with 8-10 Sunday programming.

The CW's fall lineup includes such returning shows as "Arrow," "Black Lightning," "Crazy Ex Girlfriend," "Dynasty," "The Flash," "Legends of Tomorrow," "Riverdale," "Supergirl" and "Supernatural" (the only show from the WB days still on the air). Starring Cress Williams in the title role, "Black Lightning" features a lead character created by Cleveland native Tony Isabella.

Channel 43 is the sister station of Cleveland CBS affiliate WOIO Channel 19, both owned by Alabama-based Raycom Media. Before the creation of the CW, WUAB carried UPN programming and WBNX carried the WB.

Calling itself CW 43, WUAB also will carry the CW's exclusive TV events, including the iHEARTRadio Music Festival. Channel 43 will continue to air such syndicated programming as "The People's Court," "Mom" and "Family Feud." Following the CW's primetime lineup, Channel 43 will extend the 10 p,m. newscast to a full hour.

"The CW has some of the most popular series on television among young adults," WOIO and WUAB vice president and general manager Erik Schrader said in a statement released by the stations. "Now along with our sister CBS affiliate Cleveland 19, we will be able to offer both viewers and advertisers a wide range of entertainment options."

"We're so pleased to partner with WUAB to bring Cleveland some of the most talked-about series on television, from 'Riverdale' and 'Black Lightning,' to our upcoming new series 'Charmed,' 'All American' and 'Legacies,' " said Chris Brooks, the CW's executive vice president for network distribution. "We've had a long and successful relationship with Raycom in other markets around the country, and we're very excited to expand that partnership to include Cleveland. We're looking forward to working together with WUAB this summer and in the years to come."
darkpower

Re: The CW Shifts In Cleveland

Post by darkpower »

Few points:

1. Found out that the guy that owns WBNX, Ernest Angley (sp?), a well known televangilist in the Akron area, defaulted on a loan for the station. He's been in financial trouble for some time - he owes 3 million plus back to Beck Energy for the station - which might have been the cause for why he let the CW go to Raycom (who has a much better relationship with The CW, as I have heard). Right now, WBNX is Independent. I remember living close to Cleveland and watching FOX Kids on that station when I was a teen (yes, child at heart I was and still am). I remember when they got the WB affiliation and WUAB was trying to juggle the UPN and WB affiliations.

2. This officially means that the DirecTV Wheeling channel lineup will finally have some sort of MNTV affiliation to it. It was carrying WBNX as the default CW affiliation since the only CW affiliation that Wheeling has is the Xfinity only WBWO. MNTV might not be a big get unless you consider who the Wheeling MNTV affiliation is: WTRF-DT2, which also carries a 10PM newscast there. DirecTV simply REFUSES to carry this subchannel for some odd reason, with them giving me some BS about how WTRF would refuse to allow DTV to carry the My Network TV channel on their service when WTRF CBS and WTRF ABC is present on DTV (and no MNTV offerings from NY/LA exists on the lineup for whatever reason, so I have no CLUE what gives there). It's not the MNTV affiliation specifically that bothers me, but the 10PM newscast that would serve as an alternative to Sinclair 9...I mean, WTOV's 10PM newscast on their FOX affiliation subchannel. That's another form of competition for that channel's newscasts. I have no clue why DTV is spinning that story, because the story I got makes no sense at ALL.

But the MNTV half of that is resolved with this change (in the event you were ever curious as to what MNTV broadcasts or cared enough to take a peek). I just found out this change tonight when I noticed they removed WBNX and added WUAB. The reactions are mixed (WBNX reportedly had The CW affiliation locked up until 2021, so SOMETHING happened). Some are not happy due to a few believing that the reception was not good on those two channels, but others see that this is Angley's troubles just continuing to get worse, and that he just didn't care to pay off that loan.

Now, if anyone can please explain to me that whole issue with DirecTV and the REAL reason they won't add WTRF-DT2...