Country versions of rock and/or pop songs...and vice versa.

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

Lee

Country versions of rock and/or pop songs...and vice versa.

Post by Lee »

Yesterday while getting my tires changed I heard a country version of Hinder's "Lips of an Angel" sung by some country artist/group.

Years ago I remember All 4 One doing John Michael Montgomery's "I Swear" and "I Can Love You Like That."

And a few years ago I heard a country version of Vertical Horizon's "Everything I Want."

Lack of creativity? Pressure from labels to milk the "hottest" song by performing it in every plausible genre?
twitter.com/CrypticBullshit
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Actually All 4 One did their verisions first. The "Lips of an Angel" country version is by Jack Ingram, who is very good and doesn't need to cover other people's stuff. Don't know why he did that.
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

daveinthemorning wrote:Actually All 4 One did their verisions first.
:?: :?: :?:

I know I'm not real good with timelines in my head, but.....
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

I may be wrong about that.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

All4One's album came out about 3 months after JMM's. Don't know if that's relevant or not.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Artist exclusivity isn't a guarantee anymore. Typically, if a song does well in one genre, and it translates to another, it will be offered. I believe this is up to the song writer, isn't it?

Both of John Michael's versions were certainly released as singles before All 4 One's.
herdgirl72

Post by herdgirl72 »

I like Jack Ingram but I can't stand the Lips of an Angel
song....his or Hinder's....

I do love Allison Krauss & John Waite's remake of Missing You...
There is something about that guy's voice that still gives me
chills...woof...
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

I heard Hinder's version long before the country version, and thought to myself, "What are country lyrics doing in a pop-ternative song?"

Then I heard the country version and laffed...

8)
herdgirl72 wrote:I do love Allison Krauss & John Waite's remake of Missing You...
I have to agree that it is a good remake. Not too twangy, either.
CoolBreeze

Post by CoolBreeze »

Every morning on an AM.... I hear the Wolf doing a live promo. The music playing in the background is the rap song "Hey ya". Was that a country hit?
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

They use "Marcarana" a lot for beds, too.
wvuslosh

Post by wvuslosh »

'Friend of the Devil'

Grateful Dead covered by Lyle Lovett.
jag

Post by jag »

I still wake up screaming some nights when I remember Conway Twitty's version of the Pointer Sisters' "Slow Hand." Ghastly, it was!
Scott Reppert

Post by Scott Reppert »

All I know is that the version of "Sweet Child Of Mine" by a female country artist I heard in the Frostburg Sheetz parking lot about five years ago was killer.

As far as what passes as "country" music these days is concerned, all some country male vocalist that is in desperate need of a hit do is re-record either "Live It Up" from Mental As Anything or "I Knew The Bride" from Nick Lowe. Instant country success in this day and age and not a single redneck NASCAR fan will ever know where they came from...
Last edited by Scott Reppert on Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Reppert
Music Director/Program Director/On-Air Personality
WTCS/WFGM/WMQC/WAIJ/WLIC/WRIJ/WKJL/WRWJ/WPCL/WWPN
Operations Manager: Hope Radio, T8WH, Palau
Production/Editor: "Believe Right" and "MFC WorldWide"
"For mine eyes have seen Thy salvation"--Luke 2:30
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

..as a white trash NASCAR fan I resemble that remark.
Scott Reppert

Post by Scott Reppert »

daveinthemorning wrote:..as a white trash NASCAR fan I resemble that remark.
And I own 95 ties... :D :wink: :D :wink:

Anyway, that was a tad harsh ("Good evening. I'm Tad Harsh..."). I have edited the post. It's a sign of the newer, calmer, more peaceful NASCAR despising Scott...
Scott Reppert
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

Scott Reppert wrote:the version of "Sweet Child Of Mine" by a female country artist
partially correct it was Sheryl Crow. i wouldn't consider her a country artist even though she's had or been involved in at least 1 country "semi-hit"

it wasn't bad. but being an ol'skool rock guy... i wasn't impressed... just personal taste.
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
Scott Reppert

Post by Scott Reppert »

Zak Tyler wrote:partially correct it was Sheryl Crow.
Thanks for the info. I had actually never known who did that and have never taken the opportunity to research it.

It does go to show, however, what I meant by "country music in this day and age". Sheryl Crow sounded country to me, and in exchange I believe that a great portion of today's country music could have been recorded by rock artists.

I in no way am a Guns And Roses fan, but evenso I would still strongly consider "Sweet Child Of Mine" to be in the Top 5...if not THE best...rock song ever recorded, if it were not for the horrendously stupid ending that negates the previous three and half minutes of rock and roll genius.
Scott Reppert
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

I think years from now people are going to talk about what a revolutionary album GNR's "Appetite for Destruction" was.

Agree with the Scott's statements about country music. Regulars to this board are tired of hearing me harp about it. I would recommend for those who would like to check out what I call real country music get some Billy Joe Shaver and we'll talk. If you have never listened to any of his stuff get a copy of "Ragged Old Truck" and give it a listen. It should be available on any of his compliation albums.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

Scott Reppert wrote: I in no way am a Guns And Roses fan, but evenso I would still strongly consider "Sweet Child Of Mine" to be in the Top 5...if not THE best...rock song ever recorded, if it were not for the horrendously stupid ending that negates the previous three and half minutes of rock and roll genius.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scott Reppert wrote:, what I meant by "country music in this day and age". Sheryl Crow sounded country to me, and in exchange I believe that a great portion of today's country music could have been recorded by rock artists.
very well put. and in this latest incarnation of pop country you're absolutely right. and nashville agrees with you. my OM and the APD of the country station in my building that i worked for before moving to Max fm are actually going to see a performance from Jon Bon Jovi while at CRS (country radio seminar) next week. a little less than 2 years ago, Brett Michaels (Poison) was tooling around Nashville trying to get something worked out. I'm sure JD can catch us up on all the latest country colab's. i can't since i've been out of the format for over a year and a half.
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Who was the guy with the "guit-steel", round about the mid 90s? He was awesome, and I'm no fan of country music.