Country versions of rock and/or pop songs...and vice versa.

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Junior Brown..he is still quite big on the Americana scene.
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

That's the guy! He was AWESOME! He used to crop up a lot on CMT Europe which, rather tragically, closed down about a year before the Faith Hill/Shania Twang country crossover happened.

I will admit my other country tolerance; that I have a thing for Trisha Yearwood.... :oops: And if Trisha happens to be reading and wants to collect that thing....
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Has anyone ever really listened to the Carrie Underwood song "Before He Cheats"? It has crossed over to the pop charts. Can you imagine what would happen if a MAN recorded lyrics which talked about destroying a WOMAN'S car and the like because he was cheating?

As far as country chicks go, Spike, I will take Miranda Lambert or Sara Evans. I was also a huge fan of Suzy Boggus and Mary Chapin-Carpenter (both now too old for Nashville)
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
herdgirl72

Post by herdgirl72 »

I'm right there with you Dave on Mary Chapin Carpenter...
her music is what got me started into country....its kinda folksy...
I love her stuff...Miranda Lambert too.....

Carrie's stuff is crossing over because of the whole AI thing...but
so is Rascall Flatts....What Hurts the Most went CHR...but when it
first came out the first thing that came to my head was it would make
a great R&B song....
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Suzy Bogguss I had an appreciation for, but my mum was far more into MCC than I ever was. Apparently she and Shawn Colvin put on a great show together in Glasgow about a year or so ago.
jag

Post by jag »

Spike, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks of Ms Twain as Ms Twang!

Also, let me vent my spleen on this: While I liked their work, I was not exactly the most enthusiastic fan of Big Brother & the Holding Company. However, Faith Hill's version of "Piece of My Heart" was wretched by comparison. It's bad enough that she can't sing, but also to have been so woefully misguided as to try to interpret that song as she did in that recording is a travesty and a tragedy.
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

jag wrote:Spike, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks of Ms Twain as Ms Twang!

Also, let me vent my spleen on this: While I liked their work, I was not exactly the most enthusiastic fan of Big Brother & the Holding Company. However, Faith Hill's version of "Piece of My Heart" was wretched by comparison. It's bad enough that she can't sing, but also to have been so woefully misguided as to try to interpret that song as she did in that recording is a travesty and a tragedy.
I guess its a blessing I don't listen to country. I mean...whats country music about. My house left me, my wife took the truck, and the dog wants a divorce.
nuggie99

Post by nuggie99 »

daveinthemorning wrote:They use "Marcarana" a lot for beds, too.
I hate to drag up an old thread, but my account just got created. Anywho, if I'm not mistaken, the Wolf uses the bluegrass version of the Macarana (done by the "Groove Grass Boys" (Del McCoury, Mac Wiseman and Doc Watson))