Cuecat returns

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

genlock

Cuecat returns

Post by genlock »

Mobile groups study barcode plan

By Richard Waters in San Francisco

Published: February 26 2007 19:07 | Last updated: February 26 2007 19:07

Leading mobile communications companies are due to meet in London on Tuesday to consider a plan that would help turn handsets into personal barcode readers – a move that could stimulate the first big mobile-driven advertising market.

By pointing their camera phones at special 2D barcodes printed on advertisements or product packaging, users would be able to find out more information or instantly download coupons or other marketing offers, supporters of the plan say.

Though already common in Japan and South Korea, the use of mobile phones to read 2D barcodes remains rare elsewhere.
Oldiesdude

Post by Oldiesdude »

Reminds me of the "Scan Kat".... (think that was the name). Free from Radio Shack about 6 years ago. You could swipe it over the catalog from them, and your computer would look up more info on the product, or something. Think they are still around and had found a new life on ebay, re-tooled. I also think I have one or two buired somewhere downstairs.