No wonder people drive Hummers...

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

Mark Hallburn

No wonder people drive Hummers...

Post by Mark Hallburn »

News For Putnam County
www.PutnamLIVE.com
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

I might use a cell phone while driving, but I refrain from IM'ing, texting and other tasks that require me to look away from the road. I also am addicted to the use of headsets while in the car.

Also, I at one time attemtepted to use a laptop for naviagation in 1999 while traveling down the road. I figured out real quick how bad that concept really is. Although, I know people who will not leave on a trip without having their laptop with satellite navigation running as well as other services including messaging. My only response is that they are fools. I will stick to memorizing maps and then having a cheat sheet to use for navigation.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

We're men. We need no map!
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

I, too, have set up my laptop on the passenger seat. Any and every time I would come to a stop, I would search for an open Wi-Fi, connect, refresh some windows, check email, and so on. I've streamed radio -- and TV! -- stations while stopped.

Navigation? Sorry....I'm gifted in that area and just don't need it after one look at a map. Well, you know, unless I'm going deep into a residential area or winding office park or something....
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
herdgirl72

Post by herdgirl72 »

fanofbigmedia wrote:We're men. We need no map!
Good grief!
:roll:
genlock

Post by genlock »

I have an incredible sense of direction. I can and have returned to spots that I visited 45 years ago without maps or guidance from others. I do have a gps and laptop with mapping only because they are neat. As I get older tho, I sometimes forget where I parked the car.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

genlock wrote:I can and have returned to spots that I visited 45 years ago without maps or guidance from others.

derrrrrrrrrnnnn, my mom was like 8 years old 45 years ago... good memory man!
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
genlock

Post by genlock »

But I only remember old, useless shit.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

:lol:
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

genlock wrote:I have an incredible sense of direction. I can and have returned to spots that I visited 45 years ago without maps or guidance from others. I do have a gps and laptop with mapping only because they are neat. As I get older tho, I sometimes forget where I parked the car.
Forgetting where you park the car is not a problem. Forgetting what kind of car you drove and parked in the lot is a completely different issue that I have had to tackle in my lifetime. But that comes from having a differnt rental car every three days and forgetting what color and type of mid-size blob that you rented from Hertz was parked in the lot. It has been more than once I have had to read the key fob to figure out what I needed to start looking for in the parking lot. Also part of the reason I switched to Avis because I could get cars with slightly more style that I could remember what they were. Taurus, Sables and Hyundais are so bland that you want to forget that is what you are driving.

Sad part I had that issue when I was 25 and incredibly busy.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

genlock wrote:But I only remember old, useless shit.
And why is that???? The useful stuff just does not stick as well.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

With these in-dash navigation screens becoming commonplace, and the Wi-Fi internet/media they will soon be displaying, it makes you wonder how much worse this problem will get.

They will probably mandate safey laws, such as the keyboard being disabled while the vehicle is in motion.

I've questioned the idea of even having full-color LCD screens built into dashboards... But I guess people will adapt to that distraction in time.

Remember how many crashes there were back in the 80's when people couldn't stop messing with their simple digital radios...

:)
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

K-Rock wrote:Remember how many crashes there were back in the 80's when people couldn't stop messing with their simple digital radios...
The FM converters were hell back in the day. Set the analog AM radio to 1400 kc., turn on the underdash FM converter, then tune that thing to your FM station of choice. If you were in Huntington, WKEE and WAMX splattered in at 5 different places on the dial, interspersed with Percy Faith, Andre Gagnon, and the Silver String Quartet from EZ103 FM.

So much fun to find your station while driving. Once you got good at it, you did all the tuning by ear and kept the other hand on the wheel.

8)

Feeling very old tonight. I need a Grandpa emoticon.
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

:wink:
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

K-Rock wrote:Image
Oh yeah!!! :lol:
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
herdgirl72

Post by herdgirl72 »

K-Rock wrote:With these in-dash navigation screens becoming commonplace, and the Wi-Fi internet/media they will soon be displaying, it makes you wonder how much worse this problem will get.

They will probably mandate safey laws, such as the keyboard being disabled while the vehicle is in motion.

I've questioned the idea of even having full-color LCD screens built into dashboards... But I guess people will adapt to that distraction in time.

Remember how many crashes there were back in the 80's when people couldn't stop messing with their simple digital radios...

:)

I have a Toyota Prius with the Nav and Bluetooth, blah blah blah...anyway...when in the phone screen and the car is running over
5mph..it disables the keypad etc and the only thing you can do on the
screen is 1 touch dial...but you have to remember which number you put where as its blacked out....its kind of annoying but you get used to it...if you want to dial out while driving you have to use your phone and not the screen, which defeats the whole purpose but its still hands free as it connects to the speaker phone....
Its the same thing in the map mode, you can't put in new coordinates while driving...which is good if you are alone but if you have a passenger who can do that for you its still disabled....