John Belushi, 25 years gone

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- When a force of nature like John Belushi is lost, 25 years isn't time enough to ease the grief or erase the laughter.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/03/0 ... index.html
Mark Hallburn

Post by Mark Hallburn »

I remember the day Belushi died.

I had a job interview with America's Top 40 TV show.... The guy interviewing me was crying... He said he knew Belushi personally... First thing he did was apologize & said he wouldn't hire me because he would connect me with Belushi every time he saw me...

Here's an irony... He was editing a Carpenters video into the show... stopped the editing to interview me... A couple of years later Karen Carpenter died young....

Hollywood is a strange town...
News For Putnam County
www.PutnamLIVE.com
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

^^^^^^^^^^:roll:

I'll have four fried chickens and a coke today to remember him by.

And maybe some dry white toast.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

:lol:

sorry i had a nice long reply all typed out, but my finger got caught on the delete key and it all went poof........ probably a good thing.
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

I fed him the speedballs. I also shot John Lennon... but don't be too harsh on me; I turned the key that let Nelson Mandella out of his cell. This was before I won that Oscar, of course.
Lee

Post by Lee »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea9mV9EhPvE

They don't make 'em like they used to.

A comedy genius if there ever was one.

Dane Cook? Overrated!

Notice how skinny Dan Akroyd was in that clip...also...remember how FUNNY Dan Akroyd was?
twitter.com/CrypticBullshit
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

I think this best describes (mun)Dane Cook: http://www.theonion.com/content/news/da ... urger_king

I'm surprised YouTube doesn't have the Schiller's Reel (SNL Digital Short for old people) of John Belushi dancing on the graves of the Not-Ready for Prime Time Players. Excellent, and eerie clip.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Agreed. That skit was eerie.

I LOVED the "Cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger" skits....
twitter.com/CrypticBullshit
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

The Olympia Diner. Excellent bit. My dad used to tell me of a Greek restaurant (near Marshall. perhaps) that was very similar. "Wasawanonitbuddy?"

Looks like I need to break out my old "Best Of" VHS and start doing some YouTube rips.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Lee wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea9mV9EhPvE

They don't make 'em like they used to.

A comedy genius if there ever was one.
That's a fact...and the subject of that video was pretty good, too. I had the Blues Brothers album, and somebody stole it. After getting a P2P thingy, one of the first things I did was go looking for "Soul Man," "Rubber Biscuit," and other songs. I have "Soul Man" on my MP3 player and recently played it with other people present, causing a really strange look from a younger person. "Hey, that's awesome stuff," I said, earning me an even stranger look.
Dane Cook? Overrated!
Indeed.

I didn't even know who he was until close to when he appeared on SNL. I then heard him on O&A, where O&A all but bowed before his presence on the phone and kiss his phone feet, and saw him on HBO. In four hours of exposure, I'm not sure I recall laughing once. He's kind of a "comedy mimbo."

I imagined a hypothetical meeting....

"Yeah, Dane, I just looked over this material, and none of it seemed funny to me."

"Oh, wait, wait, dude...check this out! That's just the rough draft. The ROUGH....DRAFT. I'm going to add 'f---' to every sentence there and 'f---ing' in front of every noun. Then, see all those marked syllables? I'm going to scream all those syllables. And I'm going to insert 'like' about every third word. And, if half of them are still not laughing, I'll do this little 'stoner grunt and laugh' I do and pop that other half. Dude, it'll be awe...SOME!"

"Um, well, uh, yeah, I still don't think it'll be funny."

"DUDE! Just remember -- my target audience grew up watching MTV the LAST TEN YEARS!"

"Oh......well, in that case,....."
Notice how skinny Dan Akroyd was in that clip...also...remember how FUNNY Dan Akroyd was?
Absolutely.
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

Arp2 wrote: That's a fact...and the subject of that video was pretty good, too. I had the Blues Brothers album, and somebody stole it. After getting a P2P thingy, one of the first things I did was go looking for "Soul Man," "Rubber Biscuit," and other songs. I have "Soul Man" on my MP3 player and recently played it with other people present, causing a really strange look from a younger person. "Hey, that's awesome stuff," I said, earning me an even stranger look.
Ahhhh...nothing like the classics. I've got The Definitive Collection running right now on the old tape player.