Obit: Boston lead singer Brad Delp dead at 55

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

unchoopfan

Obit: Boston lead singer Brad Delp dead at 55

Post by unchoopfan »

ATKINSON, N.H. -- Brad Delp, the lead singer for Boston, a huge rock sensation in the 1970s, was found dead Friday in his home, police said. He was 55.

Atkinson police responded to a call for help at 1:20 p.m. and found Delp dead. Police Lt. William Baldwin said in a statement the death was "untimely" and that there was no indication of foul play.

Delp apparently was alone at the time of his death, Baldwin said.

The cause of his death remained under investigation by the Atkinson police and the New Hampshire Medical Examiner's office. Police said an incident report would not be available until Monday.

Delp fronted the rock band, who rose to fame in the late 1970s and had several hits, including "More than A Feeling." The group sold millions of records.
Lee

Post by Lee »

:(

Man, that sucks! I'm a big fan of Boston...this is sad news.

Their self-titled debut and "Don't Look Back" are some of the greatest guitar albums ever.

And yet...the members of Fall Out Boy are still alive...
twitter.com/CrypticBullshit
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Holy shit....these guys got more mileage out of three albums than most groups do in a lifetime.
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

That does suck. Time to fire up some Boston, maybe throw in an RTZ track or two.
SHOCKLEY

Post by SHOCKLEY »

He was my alltime favorite Rock Singer...

Just saw them 2 years ago in Columbus...

This really sucks
Rock

Post by Rock »

One of the most under-rated vocalists ever. Incredible pipes. This really bites.
America is at that awkward stage.
It is too late to work within the system,
but too early to shoot the bastards.
- Claire Wolfe
SHOCKLEY

Post by SHOCKLEY »

Wonder if a vintage live film of them will ever surface.... Their classic lineup only put out 2 videos!! One for More than a Feeling and one for Don't Look Back..
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Lester wrote:Time to fire up some Boston, maybe throw in an RTZ track or two.
Sorry.....log's already done, and the voicetracks are already in.....

:roll: :oops: :cry:
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

Arp2 wrote:
Lester wrote:Time to fire up some Boston, maybe throw in an RTZ track or two.
Sorry.....log's already done, and the voicetracks are already in.....

:roll: :oops: :cry:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

I wasn't sure if I should laugh or cry. So, I did both. I'm amazed at how many times my industry makes me want to laugh and cry at the same time.

Now, I have to go put in an extra block of Boston in and recut some voice tracks. I liked it better when I could call the guy on the air and tell him to do it. I liked it even better when the guy on the air was insulted by my call (as if I needed to tell him he should do it). My all time favorite was when the guy called me to get permission to do it before I even knew somebody was dead.
Jet Black

Post by Jet Black »

How sad! Boston's eponymous album was the first rock album I ever purchased, the album that turned me onto rock.

I listened to two hours of rock radio on Friday, same on Thursday, and this is the first I've heard of that. Shameful.
God Bless Us, Every One.
SHOCKLEY

Post by SHOCKLEY »

Some very gracious folks have been putting some Boston boots on You Tube, including a video where Brad was playing with his Beatles Tribute band and signing to a girl for her birthday.. The video is dated just last week!!

Not a whole lot of 70's era footage, the best I have seen is the footage from 04!!

You might want to just type in Brad Delp instead of typing in Boston though..
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

When I was doing classic rock I played more than my fair share of Boston, and a lot of it was so-so in MY opinion, however "Smokin" was one of those "crank the monitors" songs.

Great driving song, too. "Third Stage" came out during my junior year of high school and even to this day, sappy as it may be, I still like "Amanda".
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

Boston played the Convo in Athens as their first album was peaking; maybe the most crowd excitement I ever experienced. They hit so big, the sound was so new, they seemed to some of us as the next Beatles or Stones. That level of excitement abated upon release of the second album...then the third.... But Delp never got as much credit for the band's success as he probably should have. God bless Brad Delp.
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

daveinthemorning wrote:I still like "Amanda".
Dude.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Yes, anyone who liked Amanda needs to turn in their man card.
But that first album kicked ass. I saw them on that tour, when they did the album and a couple covers and one tune that eventually showed up on the second album. Starcastle (oh God) was the opening act.
Then I saw them again at the NC State football stadium headlining a show that had Poco as the second billed act (who remembers the days when different types of acts played on one bill?) and some new band from LA opened at about noon. Think their name was ....Van Halen...and they got booed off the stage!
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

OK, I apolgize for liking "Amanda". Like you fuckers don't have SOMETHING that is equally as bad?

When "Third Stage" was released wasn't there a big deal made about them using no synthesizers or something?
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

First time I played Amanda on the air when it came out I was at WZOU in Boston and said, "here's the new one from Boston, the story of a stupid young boy who falls in love with A Man...duh". Reaction was sweet!
Mark Hallburn

Post by Mark Hallburn »

Van Halen got booed off the stage?
News For Putnam County
www.PutnamLIVE.com
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Booed off the stage. PA problems led to DLR yelling at the crowd and VH being pelted with red and white plastic NC state cups. They were knee deep in cups before they got off the stage, with DLR kicking cups back into the crowd. They did get out a good version of Dance The Night Away.
CoolBreeze

Post by CoolBreeze »

The summer of 78 was a turning point in my life. 10 years of the worst possible marriage had driven me to not really care if I lived or died. So I decided to take-up skydiving with the idea of what have I got to lose? I jumped, got confidence, got divorced, and spent the next 26 years in the passionate embrace of the sky. (Including helping to found Bridge Day).

But the summer of 78 was even more special because the hit on the radio ... blaring over the DZs loudspeaker as I was walking to the airplane to make my first jump was "DON'T LOOK BACK".

Don't look back
A new day is breakin'
It's been too long since I felt this way
I don't mind where I get taken
The road is callin'
Today is the day

It's a new horizon and I'm awakin' now
Oh I see myself in a brand new way
The sun is shinin'
the clouds are breakin'
'Canse I can't lose now, there's no game to play

To this day, I cant make a jump without playing Boston on the way...