WV in the national news

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

I dare to say there isn't a road in this state that is worse than Rt. 10 between Man and Logan. The road now is literally breaking off and its a big-ass drop to land on the tracks below. USA Today ranked it one of the top 10 worst roads in America.
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

fanofbigmedia wrote:
Other scary drives:

I64 through Hampton Roads (Zak?)
I64 Richmond to Hampton Roads
64 around here isn't too bad once you get used to it. nothing like up around where Bob Loblaw is... holy CRAP! the only bad thing around here, is the commute. if you have to go from one side of the water to the other on a daily basis, you're rolling the dice anytime from 6am-7pm. all it takes is a truck driver from the international port to try and come through one of the tunnels with an overheight trailer. if the tunnel guys catch it which is most of the time, it'll screw things up for maybe 20-30 minutes if it's between 9-1. anytime after 1pm. anything that happens at the tunnel, i don't care if it's a seagull getting hit, you're toast the rest of the day. right now, there are only 3 ways to get from the peninsula section of town, to the southside. and only one that's really convienient for most. between late may and mid september you're looking at some sort of back up at the main tunnel most of the daylight hours.

the ride from Richmond down here, is ok, if nobody loses it. a lot of times the fast lane is cruising at 75-80 mph and close together. one slip, and the interstate is toast for a few hours. it seems as though williamsburg around busch gardens has a lot of problems.

this traffic report sponsored by the WAWA Sizzli combo..........
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

daveinthemorning wrote:I dare to say there isn't a road in this state that is worse than Rt. 10 between Man and Logan. The road now is literally breaking off and its a big-ass drop to land on the tracks below. USA Today ranked it one of the top 10 worst roads in America.
i believe that. i used to HATE going down that road when i delivered pizza for franks...
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Lester wrote:We finally hit about a year of no construction on I-40. That's how long it took for the substandard work they had just wrapped up to start breaking down.
Wild....I believe your Beltline won awards for its construction and smoothness a while back. Sorry to hear that level of quality and pride has been lost.
Let's not forget the greatest pork barrel waste of all time... the ORIGINAL corridor H. There is still 7 miles of beautifully paved 4-lane that goes from wha? to where?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Elkins... 0.163078&t=k&iwloc=addr
Huh...I think I've driven that! It was in the dark, and I have little memory of it; however, I don't think I remember it being nice and four lanes. I think I remember climbing out of Elkins on a two-lane, slightly windy road as I headed to Harrisonburg. :?
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Zak Tyler wrote:a lot of times the fast lane is cruising at 75-80 mph and close together.
Drafting.

Even worse.... Bump Drafting 8O

It has been a white-knuckle trip every time I have made it. I will never do it again during the day on Friday or Saturday, May through October.

Never.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

The Beltline is still OK. This was I-40 north of Cary and RTP.

Rt 33 is the 4 lane in question. You leave Elkins on crappy 2 lane, it opens up into beautiful and majestic vistas, and promptly ends at Alpena. Not sure of where it goes when it's back to 2 lanes again. I think Harmon was the farthest I've ever made it.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Lester wrote:Rt 33 is the 4 lane in question. You leave Elkins on crappy 2 lane, it opens up into beautiful and majestic vistas, and promptly ends at Alpena.
Maybe I remember that....but, again, it was in total darkness, so I don't.
OldSkool

Post by OldSkool »

daveinthemorning wrote:I dare to say there isn't a road in this state that is worse than Rt. 10 between Man and Logan. The road now is literally breaking off and its a big-ass drop to land on the tracks below. USA Today ranked it one of the top 10 worst roads in America.
My parents are originally from that area (Omar #5). Still have relatives in Ranger. I fondly remember the "kiss your ass" curves.
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~Henry David Thoreau
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

OldSkool wrote:
My parents are originally from that area (Omar #5). Still have relatives in Ranger. I fondly remember the "kiss your ass" curves.
hehe, theres always the "safer" (usin that very very loosely) route of goin thru rum creek over kelly mountain.....
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

fanofbigmedia wrote: I will never do it again during the day on Friday or Saturday, May through October.

Never.
that's actually the best idea.
genlock

Post by genlock »

OldSkool wrote:
How far up pine creek did they live?
genlock

Post by genlock »

FearPeddler wrote:
OldSkool wrote:
hehe, theres always the "safer" (usin that very very loosely) route of goin thru rum creek over kelly mountain.....
At the top we called it "Lowes Mountain" for the people that lived at the top.
Roads from there go to Kelly Mines, Slagle on Rum Creek and down to Amherstdale. There is an airport on top of the mountain for Amherst Coal planes.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

There is a big battle here over whether to call it Kelly Mountain or Lowe's Mountain. Calling it by the wrong name to the wrong person could get you shot here.
genlock

Post by genlock »

One of the Lowe's was convicted in the shooting of a non-union miner over on Buffalo Creek many years ago. Pretty sure I went to LHS with him.
I lived in Lundale and Slagle and we called it Lowes Mountain.

I understand there is a road out of the head of Buffalo Creek over to Pond Fork in Boon County. Never been on it tho. It would make Beckley kinda close for Pardee and Lundale.
304live

Post by 304live »

i really dont mind the interstate in charlotte.... maybe because by the time i get there im used to the 75-90mph range....

anybody ever been to Ashville NC before? thats the worst interstate set up in a city i've ever driven on...... i got lost twice in 30 minutes on my way to Greenville
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

When I was a young 'un all the talk was about this road between Buffalo Creek and Beckley. Before the Town Center and Southridge, we went to Beckley like people go to Charleston now. Anyway, the road is there but some of it is dirt from what I understand. A lot of folks working in the mines there live in Virginia and travel that road to go home on the weekends. They, of course, takes these jobs because most of the people here won't work. Then these same people bitch about these "outsiders" and Mexicans taking "their jobs". Don't get me started on that!
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

daveinthemorning wrote: Then these same people bitch about these "outsiders" and Mexicans taking "their jobs". Don't get me started on that!
ah, i remember the great montera development drama........
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me
OldSkool

Post by OldSkool »

genlock wrote:
OldSkool wrote:
How far up pine creek did they live?
Mama says they lived a mile up and that her grandmother lived on up the holler along the tracks. I'm told the mile seemed a lot longer. My father and grandfather were miners. They were there until the late-50's.
genlock

Post by genlock »

I lived in upper Omar, across from the school.
OldSkool

Post by OldSkool »

Small world. Mom went there.