WV in the national news

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

..the same reason that in Logan County we have communities called 21. 22 and 5&6. We ain't got no better learnin'
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
genlock

Post by genlock »

Corridor G was started when I was in grade school.
I have been retired over 5 years now.
Same with the rest of them.
It has always been corridor G.
I used to go to 22 all the time.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Sorry for the typo. The damn G and H are just so close together. Neither one would be there without Byrd.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

That's true, but an interesting thing happened to me when I was around 12 or so (and this one doesn't involve my creepy Uncle Buzz and his whole "touch it" thing). A bunch of us young punks were in Holden, downtown Holden, in Logan County USA. This big Lincoln pulls up to us kids as we were walking down "the street". The window rolls down and this older gentlemen asks us how we are doing. We tell him fine and he asks what we think about them tearing down all the houses in Holden to make room for Corridor G. The guys then introduces himself as A. James Manchin, as says we will never see Corridor G during our life times. He then drives off. The year is now 2007 and I drive Corridor G nearly every day. Today I drove it to Williamson for a meeting. Tomorrow I will drive it to do a remote with Thornhill Ford/GM at Fountain Place Mall.

Is there a point to this? No.
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

I am starting to really miss Hallburn. :cry:
PassiveObserver

Post by PassiveObserver »

Corridor D here in Parkersburg doubles as a road and a maze.
"Being a bastard works." - Spider Jerusalem
Greg Goodfellow

Post by Greg Goodfellow »

daveinthemorning wrote:
Is there a point to this? No.
The point is that the further one gets from Charleston, the crappier the roads are. Many on this board are familiar with the trainwreck that is Route 2. Much promised, very little delivered. Without great roads, forget about economic development. Of course, great roads tend to get one out of the state a little quicker and with much less damage to the vehicle.

Byrd has greatly aided certain parts of the state, resulting in massive (for West Virginia, anyway) growth. However, he's done nothing in this neck of the woods.
"Television is a medium because anything well done is rare."
~ Fred Allen ~

“Radio is the theater of the mind; television is the theater of the mindless”-Steve Allen
PassiveObserver

Post by PassiveObserver »

By the time Rt.2 becomes a four-lane I'll be dead.
"Being a bastard works." - Spider Jerusalem
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

I will fix Rt 2 when I'm governor. We're going to train our prisoners to be road crews (amongst over things). This will eliminate a bunch of tax funded state road jobs and will get me shot, but most of my decisions and policies are going to be terribly unpopular and will likely get me shot.
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

Dr. Whiplash wrote:Why in the hell do people refer to these highways by their original ARC construction designations instead of their actual marked route numbers?
:roll:
cause they took so long to get built, people were used to driving on and off of "corridor G" for the 20+ years it took to get it into a solid highway...
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

Jay Nunley wrote:I will fix Rt 2 when I'm governor. We're going to train our prisoners to be road crews (amongst over things). This will eliminate a bunch of tax funded state road jobs and will get me shot, but most of my decisions and policies are going to be terribly unpopular and will likely get me shot.

for a decent price i'll gladly be a human shield.. :D
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me
Oldiesdude

Post by Oldiesdude »

Many on this board are familiar with the trainwreck that is Route 2. Much promised, very little delivered.
Gee Greg, I thought Route 2 was fixed back in the days of Jay Rockerfeller. (Anyone remember the, Bumpy, Bump Ad that he ran for his election.). Truth is most of Route 2 is being kept in this shape, is so people traveling North from Parkersburg, or South from Weirton, to the highlands in Wheeling will get a pre-thrill ride before jumping on the New Rollercoaster that they are going to be building. That is if they live through their travels.
We will never see good roads, outside the metro area of Wheeling, it costs too much to patch, rebuild, shore up, and maintain what we have, there is never any money left to build a real road.
Besides, where are we going to place all the little crosses along the roadway of a 4-lane.

(Jumping down off his soap-box)
I'm just happy to know the Dougger!
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

You all have forgotten the Grande Poo-Bah of all West Virginia Deathtrap Roads ...

US 35 from Point Pleasant to Winfield

8O
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

I drove that road for 5 months commuting to The River for Charleston. It's really fun at 3:30 in the morning. Just me, the 18 wheelers and 4000 deer.
You want to see eternal road construction, ask Lester about I-40 in Raleigh/Durham. Hell, ask me about the Greensboro/Winston Salem beltway.
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

FearPeddler wrote:
Dr. Whiplash wrote:Why in the hell do people refer to these highways by their original ARC construction designations instead of their actual marked route numbers?
:roll:
cause they took so long to get built, people were used to driving on and off of "corridor G" for the 20+ years it took to get it into a solid highway...
Thank you, Peddler. An explanation after all these years!
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

We finally hit about a year of no construction on I-40. That's how long it took for the substandard work they had just wrapped up to start breaking down.

Some people got fired, some news stories got written, and the orange barrels are back in bloom.

Let's not forget the greatest pork barrel waste of all time... the ORIGINAL corridor H. There is still 7 miles of beautifully paved 4-lane that goes from wha? to where?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Elkins... 0.163078&t=k&iwloc=addr
weaver

Post by weaver »

S. Adams wrote:By the time Rt.2 becomes a four-lane I'll be dead.
It's not even a two-lane in many places, thanks to the landslides.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

fanofbigmedia wrote:I am starting to really miss Hallburn. :cry:
who?
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

Jay Nunley wrote:I will fix Rt 2 when I'm governor. We're going to train our prisoners to be road crews (amongst over things). This will eliminate a bunch of tax funded state road jobs and will get me shot, but most of my decisions and policies are going to be terribly unpopular and will likely get me shot.
Soooo...how much $$$$$ for my vote?
:lol:
fanofbigmedia wrote:I am starting to really miss Hallburn. :cry:
[Hallburn]At one time I was on the road commission in Califorina. I also help build many of the highways in Califorina. Did I tell you all about the time I met......[/Hallburn]
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

The People's DJ wrote:[Hallburn]At one time I was on the road commission in Califorina. I also help build many of the highways in Califorina. Did I tell you all about the time I met......[/Hallburn]
:lol: :lol: :lol:

What about:

I64 - West Huntington to Huntington Mall Exit
I64 - St. Albans to South Charleston
WV Rt. 10 - Between Logan and Man

Speaking of Corridor G, they finally installed a real stop light at the Alum Creek "exit". It only took.. what? 50 traffic related deaths at that intersection before they got it done.
HD wrote:US 35 from Point Pleasant to Winfield
Its a same, too, because 35 from the Point to Columbus or Chil. is a breeze.

Other scary drives:

I95 through Jacksonville, FL
I64 through Hampton Roads (Zak?)
I64 Richmond to Hampton Roads
I77 through Charlotte (75 in a 55 anyone?)
I64 Beckley to Charleston :twisted: