Imus: "I'm a good person"

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

was Imus right to apologise?

yes, his comments were wrong.
12%
no, this is what his show's been like for 20+ years.
52%
pff. Who cares?
36%

Total votes: 25

Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

If Imus weren't doing his radiothon today, would he have been "allowed" to talk about Duke lacrosse accuser Crystal Gail Mangum?

After all, she's undeniably a....................................liar.

:twisted:
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Good for him.

Cries of "Uncle Tom" from the rent-a-rage Sharptonites in 5... 4... 3...
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

genlock wrote:http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_101163705.html

Canned in Stroudsburg.
It's interesting that Nassau Broadcasting fired Gary Smith, yet the company still clears Don Imus on country 93.3 The Wolf (WNHW) in the Concord, NH market.
On Twitter: @LouPickney
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Arp2 wrote:That guy rocks.

Contrary to what "leaders" who need the money and votes that come with or from an underclass they need to keep permanently down would have you believe, the overwhelming majority of the problems of the "black community" are solvable within a single generation, and guys like Shaun Powell could lead it and prove it.
Anybody catch that guy on "The Factor" tonight who was apologistic towards Hip-Hop artists, and instead blamed Whitey and even George Washington for the trash lyrics they write?

With that "plantation" mindset, the BC won't turn around in our lifetimes, unfortunately...

Michelle Malkin still handed his ass to him, though.

:lol:
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

K-Rock wrote:Anybody catch that guy on "The Factor" tonight who was apologistic towards Hip-Hop artists, and instead blamed Whitey and even George Washington for the trash lyrics they write?
Was that "M1?" "M1" appeared on Cavuto's show and said virtually the same thing. It was such absurdity and blatant hypocrisy that I started questioning my own sanity as it was all being said.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

K-Rock wrote:Anybody catch that guy on "The Factor" tonight who was apologistic towards Hip-Hop artists, and instead blamed Whitey and even George Washington for the trash lyrics they write?
No, that wasn't "M1." If there's video of the Cavuto show out there, seeing the "M1" segment is worth the 5-6 minutes. (Or the overnight replay...)
Michelle Malkin still handed his ass to him, though.
She did....

...but Malik Shabazz, identifying her as a "person of color," calling Michelle Malkin a "prostitute" and a "ho!" 8O

You've gotta be f'in' kidding me! When will MSNBC, NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, and CNN-HN start going wall-to-wall, attacking him and defending Michelle and FNC???!!???
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

Arp2 wrote: ...but Malik Shabazz, identifying her as a "person of color," calling Michelle Malkin a "prostitute" and a "ho!"
I think we all might agree on one thing....

GAWDAMN SHE'S HOT!
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

links...

can a brotha get some links???? :)

[/just sayin']
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

And doing the radiothon today...Charles McCord and Imus' wife.
Rock

Post by Rock »

As per Jason Whitlock, formerly of ESPN. (and no stranger to controversy.)

http://www.kansascity.com/159/story/66339.html

'Imus isn't the real bad guy'....
America is at that awkward stage.
It is too late to work within the system,
but too early to shoot the bastards.
- Claire Wolfe
Mike Rappaport

Post by Mike Rappaport »

I haven't been much of an Imus fan since he began focusing on politics and interviews... basically, since they started syndicating him. I liked the show when it was comedy-driven (his bits parroting Scott Muni and Howard Stern are classic).

But with the I-man getting the hatchet, and having seen his comments dissected and dismantled for the last week, here are some random thoughts I've heard/seent:

The guy who runs the NY Radio Message Board, Allan Sniffen, opined:
http://www.musicradio77.com/wwwboard/me ... 11242.html

You can make your own judgement call if you've listened to the audio, but it does make you think...

I believe Stephen A Smith of ESPN said that the Imus firing would only make the media look harder at EVERY inflammatory comment, regardless of the race of the speaker and his/her popularity. He almost sounded like he was scared of this happening.

There are a LOT of callers to our station and other talkers who have said, in effect, 'yeah- fire the bum... but why are Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson allowed to act as a moral compass on racial issues and tolerance?'

Some really lost souls are of the opinion that WOR- not satellite- will be the platform for the I-man's return to broadcasting. Guess these people don't know that we carry Rutgers sports on the station, and would stand to lose a boatload of bucks if we brought him on board. Of course, we did hire Bob Grant many moons ago right after WABC dropped him like a hot potato for making what was perceived to be a racial, insensitive remark... you never know in this business!!

I- like Imus- found it amazing to see how many politicians and celebrities that had supported him throughtout the years pulled a disappearing act instead of pledging some support... ANY kind of support.
Best Music

Post by Best Music »

I caught Shawn Powell (see post on page 4) on ESPN radio yesterday. He makes lots of sense.

Among his points were laying blame at the feet of the media for ginning up the Imus kerfuffle to the spectacle it became. Showing their classic disconnect with the "normal" or typical viewer, the news shows covered this as though the pope had said it.

Any doubt in your mind that most of America never heard of him and doesn't care about this story?

And since reasonable opinions don't get ratings, Sharpton, "the Rev" Jackson, Shabazz and that ilk get lots of face time while people like Shawn never make it to the green room.

Let's face it: the I-dude hasn't been a "media icon" for at least a decade. After he syndicated, the show lost its edge and wasn't funny. As of early last week, he had a paltry 61 stations, most of them on the same plane as 950/WVTS. His ratings at WFAN--and the revenue strapped to his nappy-headed balls--were not what they used to be.

After launching syndication, Imus became a chump for the media elite who cluttered his show with unfunny and uninteresting phoners. Whaddya bet David Gregory changed his cell number and put Imus on his Blackberry spam filter before the end of the week last week?

PC rules the country, Mike. His "friends" have left him to swing in the wind because he violated the new First Amendment: If thou be a cracker, keep thy mouth shut!.
Yes I'm serious. And stop calling me Shirley.
Mike Rappaport

Post by Mike Rappaport »

If thou be a cracker, keep thy mouth shut!
Dude-- Does that mean you just called me a cracker??? Now, go get a radio show and repeat that remark so I can haul you into court. :lol:

Alas- as Nunley will confirm, your remark is valid. I guess truth IS an absolute defense!! I'm not as whi-eet as Schaffer, but I am pretty close.

Seriously, a lot of good points... I-man ain't what he used to be. But, he was responsible for about $15 million on the 'FAN- despite diminishing ratings locally and some seriously signal-challenged affiliates. I don't know the 25-54 male breakouts in NYC, but I imagine they must have been decent enough to get top-of-the-rate card bucks locally (not to mention appealing to national ad agencies).

I went to college with his board op- Lou Rufino. Lou's a good guy, and I'm hoping that the fallout doesn't leave him high & dry. The fact that McGuirk was still on the web page as a personality as of this morning was surprising...

After talking with our Director of Net Operations yesterday, we're starting the, 'how soon & with whom does Imus return to the air' pool at 'OR. He thinks by December '07 on Sirius, I say March of '08 on a Midwest stick- much closer to the Imus Ranch.

Best to the Mrs. and the kids (yeah they're adults, but you know what I mean)!
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

my guess would be that if at all, it will be with Opie and Anthony on XM rather than Sirius since their mutual hate of Stern brought them together many a year ago. Imus' often wore XM and O&A t-shirts, maybe it's time for them to repay the favour.
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
Best Music

Post by Best Music »

Interesting bet you've made... I wonder how he'd make out in the midwest. He'll have to find some way of raising money for his ranch... I read it needs 2.5 mil per year.

The Mrs. says hey. Kids are gone (and I've got a 2 year old who calls me "grandpa").

Bob Grant still at OR?
Yes I'm serious. And stop calling me Shirley.
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

Holy shit. Imess didn't say "Nappy-headed Hoe's"! He was threating to tell the nation the secrets the US government has about 9/11. At least thats what Pravda what you (them) to think.

American radio icon Don Imus disgraced, fired after threat to reveal 9/11 secrets

In a clear sign of its intent to reign in dissident American media personalities, and their growing influence in American culture, US War Leaders this past week launched an unprecedented attack upon one of their most politically 'connected', and legendary, radio hosts named Don Imus after his threats to release information relating to the September 11, 2001 attacks upon that country.

Imus that have gripped the United States this past week, it was during an interview with another American media personality, Tim Russert, who is the host of a television programme frequently used by US War Leaders, wherein while decrying the state of care being given to American War wounded stated, "So those bastards want to keep these boys [in reference to US Soldiers] secret? Let's see how they like it if I start talking about their [in reference to US War Leaders] secrets, starting with 9/11."

Unable to attack such a powerful media figure as Don Imus, directly, the US War Leaders, and as we have seen many times before, resorted to a massive media attack against him using as the reason a racial slur against a US woman's basketball team, but which has been pointed out by other media outlets was not by any means a rare occurrence for the legendary radio icon to make.

But, to the US War Leaders, Don Imus represented the most serious threat, to date, of the growing assault against them by America's media personalities threatening to expose the truths behind the events of September 11, 2001 and the Iraq/Afghanistan Wars; and to such an extent that another American media personality, Rosie O'Donnell, has expressed concern that US Military Leaders could actually imprison Mr. Imus.

From our past research of the tactics used against those threatening America's War Leaders, the likelihood of imprisonment for Don Imus would only occur should he persist in his threats to undermine their authority, and which appears, at this time, unlikely after the public disgrace he has had to endure.

It is expected, also, that the US War Leaders actions against Don Imus will have a further chilling affect upon other American media personalities questioning their authority, such as the popular US movie actor, Charlie Sheen, and who was one of the first to question the events of September 11, 2001, and as we can read as reported by New Zealand Herald News Service in their article titled "Charlie Sheen may voice 9/11 documentary", and which says:

"US actor Charlie Sheen is reportedly in talks to narrate an internet documentary that suggests elements of the US government were behind the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Centre.

Sheen's representatives say he was involved in the production of a new version of Loose Change, a 90-minute conspiracy theory film that has been seen by more than 10 million internet viewers."

Apparently lost upon America's media personalities is that a government being investigated by the International Red Cross for the torture of an Iranian Diplomat by whipping with steel cables on his feet; a government that would have its soldiers imprison in an Ethiopian torture jail a Swedish teenage girl; a government that would even contemplate the release of one of the World's most wanted terrorists, Posada Carriles; does not hesitate, for even a second, to crush any, and all, opposition to it.

To the American people themselves their remains no evidence that they know, much less care, about the dire state of their once Free Nation.

http://english.pravda.ru/opinion/columnists/89728-0/
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

The People's DJ wrote: and to such an extent that another American media personality, Rosie O'Donnell, has expressed concern that US Military Leaders could actually imprison Mr. Imus.
whelp, looks like the CIA's counter-intellegence plan is working flawlessly.
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Please tell me that is some parody site or something and I just couldn't find the disclaimer.... :?