Imus: "I'm a good person"

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

was Imus right to apologise?

yes, his comments were wrong.
12%
no, this is what his show's been like for 20+ years.
52%
pff. Who cares?
36%

Total votes: 25

SPIKE NESMITH!

Imus: "I'm a good person"

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

I've polled this, in case there were a few who didn't feel comfortable commenting either way.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17999196/?GT1=9246

[quote]Imus issued another apology for referring to members of the team as “nappy-headed hos.â€
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
genlock

Post by genlock »

What does "Nappy Headed" mean.
Nappy is like a diaper, isn't it?
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

The comments were stupid, insensitive, etc. but they were on HIS show...his opinion. Big deal, get over it. As for Al Sharpton, is there anyone in this country, black or white, who gives a rat's ass what this phony has to say?
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

I've heard Eric McGuire called nappy headed... I'm pretty sure he isn't black.

Then again, we had a white teacher almost get fired for reading the "black pride" book "Nappy Head" to her class.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

[quote="wiki"]Natural hair, black hair, and afro-textured hair are terms used mainly by Western people of African descent to refer to the texture of African hair which has not been altered chemically (by perming, relaxing, straightening, bleaching or coloring). (Not all people of African descent have naturally afro-textured hair, including many North Africans.) Adjectives with negative connotations such as “hardâ€
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

I only know about nappy dugouts.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

There was a hair salon on the west side of Charleston called "Nappy But Nice" until fairly recently.

Suffice it to say, Stern had a ball with this this morning.

[quote="http://blogs.phillyburbs.com/blog.php?p=12332&cat=14"]Don Imus insists he’s a good person. Howard Stern says he’s dead wrong.

Imus made insensitive racial comments on the air last week in which he referred to an all-female black basketball team as “nappy-headed hos.â€
Best Music

Post by Best Music »

Imus has been increasingly not funny and uninteresting since he began syndication. Unfortunately, he has made the bed upon which he currently sleeps (by cowtowing to media elites and Manhattan liberals) and political correctness is part of the ticking.

Let him eat nappy cake.
Yes I'm serious. And stop calling me Shirley.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Imus just suspended from MSNBC for two weeks beginning next Monday.

Heh...."we have standards, but they can wait; we'd have to redo some clocks and bring in some talent and producers, and half of them are on vacation this week....so, you know...." :lol:

By the way, I'm more than a little amused that so many are finding the "nappy-haired" part to be the offense, not the part in which they're referred to as sluts who charge for it.
Last edited by Arp2 on Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Pullllleeeasee!
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Nappy headed, overtly racist.
Hos...well...that's everybody's girlfriend on this board....except mine of course.
The scary part is the Congress person from New York (can't recall the name) saying that all broadcast speech should be regulated. Whoa.
Damn, if the make racist speech illegal, Rush, Hannity, Lars, and Laura will all be out of jobs.
I think the thing that's pissing everybody off this time is Imus(who is a God to me) picked on; 1. Kids,
2.People much less powerful than he.

He could have said that about Sharpton and nobody would have cared. But the girls on the team are not in a position to defend themselves.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

I would be interested to see how many will tune in AFTER the suspension just to see what all the fuss is about.

The winner in all this...Imus and MSNBC.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Imus now suspended by CBS Radio for the same two weeks.
genlock

Post by genlock »

V-a-c-a-t-i-o-n, He's gonna have a ball.
I tried to watch Imus, but He was boring.
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

I've tried listening to Imus a few times, but I found his show horribly boring. I've never heard any of his pre-syndication stuff.
On Twitter: @LouPickney
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Awwww who freakin' cares what that old geezer has to say, anyway.

For what it is worth, Napster is called Napster because the kid who started it was nicknamed nappy head by his buds. Not that that is relevent or anything.

Damn, this board has been a drag today.

Let's talk about what a doucebag Hallburn is or how nonsensical those posts about Wheeling radio are.... or something!
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

This reminds me of the same thing that happened to the Greaseman several years ago... His life was utterly ruined. Even though he was humiliated and profusely apologized to everyone every chance he got, his livelihood was all but lost.

Most reasonable people would agree that he paid a far greater price than he should have--esp when you consider the kind of radio he did in the first place.

In no way do I defend racism. But as a supporter of free speech, I think that hosts should be able to express their stupidity.

We are creating too many "untouchables" in this hyper-sensitive, ultra-PC society... Why stop there? Let's have an unwritten ban on making fun of anything or anybody. We're already most of the way there...
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Bob Campbell wrote:Nappy headed, overtly racist.
I just can't agree with that. I have a white friend who, being able to brush and comb for hours and barely begin to get her thick and dense hair untangled, has referred to her own hair in that way for years. As a matter of fact, she might have been my introduction to the word "nappy."
Damn, if the make racist speech illegal, Rush, Hannity, Lars, and Laura will all be out of jobs.
:? That makes no sense...I've not heard any of those ever make a racist comment or even get anywhere in the neighborhood.

K-Rock wrote:This reminds me of the same thing that happened to the Greaseman several years ago... His life was utterly ruined. Even though he was humiliated and profusely apologized to everyone every chance he got, his livelihood was all but lost.
Very true, and these incidents and others consistently show one thing -- apologizing never works. It simply reveals to the wailing gripers that you're now scared of them, and they always use it to ratchet up their attacks.

Knowing that, why even bother with it? It's not going to work, so don't do it.
PassiveObserver

Post by PassiveObserver »

The only reason this is an issue is because Imus is on MSNBC. Otherwise I doubt anyone would notice. Why is it that after being taught the "sticks and stones" mantra we still fear words. I bet you none of the girls on that basketball team even know who Imus is or even care.
"Being a bastard works." - Spider Jerusalem
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Arp, c'mon. You wrote,

"That makes no sense...I've not heard any of those ever make a racist comment or even get anywhere in the neighborhood."

A day doesn't go by without those guys making racist remarks about either blacks or Hispanics. Here's a clue, whenever they say "those people".

Try this. Go into a black neighborhood. Pick the biggest guy you can find. Walk up and call him "nappy headed". Call when you get out of the hospital.

Still, the scariest part of all this for me is the call for even more regulation of speech. I wouldn't want the Limbaugh crowd regulated any more than Imus, or the Grease (another I worship like a god).
Hell, if it weren't for Imus, there never would have been Stern, or Limbaugh. For better or worse, he's the progenitor of shock.