Imus: "I'm a good person"

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

was Imus right to apologise?

yes, his comments were wrong.
12%
no, this is what his show's been like for 20+ years.
52%
pff. Who cares?
36%

Total votes: 25

Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Amen! There are those in our world (on both sides of the aisle and of all races, creeds, colors, religions, political views etc) who live to be pissed off. In fact if they're not offended or pissed off then they're pissed off. If we were able to magically rid the world today of all racism and hatred what would Al Sharpton and the like do..they would be out of a job! I sum it up by quoting an African-American gentlemen I work with who said about Sharpton today, "Who is the (expletive) speaking for? He ain't my (expletive) spokesperson!
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

[art bell]I just notice something. 2 weeks starting next Monday. He'll be back on on the 30th of this month. What happens next month. May sweeps.[/art bell]
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Coincedence? I think not.
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

The People's DJ wrote:[art bell]I just notice something. 2 weeks starting next Monday. He'll be back on on the 30th of this month. What happens next month. May sweeps.[/art bell]
As fun as such a conspiracy theory would be, TV sweeps apply only to over-the-air broadcast stations, not cable networks.
On Twitter: @LouPickney
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Lester wrote:
Bob Campbell wrote: The Super Bowl incident, while planned, was certainly not nudity, as a pasty was covering Janet's naughty part for the less than a second it was visible. And thus, not actually a violation of any rules.
It wasn't a pasty, it was a nipple shield... held in place by a metal stud through the EXPOSED nipple.

And thus, a violation of safe harbor, and thusly punished.
If that single incident was the only subject of interest, and dealt with accordingly, that's one thing. (Though I still say that it wasn't "indecent" because a female breast is not considered "nude" unless the nipple is exposed, and it wasn't).

But that racy incident that few found offensive within days evolved into a rallying cry for religious and social conservatives go after everybody and anything on the airwaves that they found offensive.

Howard Stern was nowhere near that Super Bowl, and had nothing to do with the scripting and choreography of the Halftime Show... But yet all the attention quickly turned to him and the other "shock jocks".

This was the "foot in the door" incident that the moralists have been waiting for, and to their credit, took full advantage of it.
jag wrote:The Imus incident is done. It now, for better or worse, shall set precedent. What we must ask ourselves is this:

If our rights to free speech and free press have, indeed, been compromised (some say so--some say not...after all, it was not a law that was broken, but rather, a policy that might or might not have been breeched), then what must be done to address the issue (NOT the Imus thing, but rather, the issue of rights to free speech and press)?
As was predicted three years ago, if the efforts to ban "trash talk" are successful, (and they pretty much have been), it would evolve into efforts to target other kinds of speech, such as political commentary and religious speech. While political shows like Rush and Hannity have yet to be targeted, it's only a matter of time before they are... And if that proves successful, Christian broadcasters will be next.

Either speech is free, or it isn't. The canopy of the First Amendment covers all speech: political, religious, controversial, shock. When one type of speech is allowed to be silenced, the rest are not safe, either.

Regardless, the genie is already out of the bottle. There's no turning back...

If Imus is fired, it will send another chill through talk radio, because now hosts could lose their jobs not just for saying something that could bring an FCC fine, but just because they happen to piss off a group of people...

The troublemakers will definitely take note of this, too.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

K-Rock wrote:Though I still say that it wasn't "indecent" because a female breast is not considered "nude" unless the nipple is exposed, and it wasn't.
Really?

http://www.bigbtv.com/Images/RealityTV/ ... loseup.jpg
K-Rock wrote:Either speech is free, or it isn't. The canopy of the First Amendment covers all speech: political, religious, controversial, shock. When one type of speech is allowed to be silenced, the rest are not safe, either.

If Imus is fired, it will send another chill through talk radio, because now hosts could lose their jobs not just for saying something that could bring an FCC fine, but just because they happen to piss off a group of people...
Correct... but there is no "must carry clause" in the first amendment. Imus can say what he wants. MSNBC/CBS are not REQUIRED to give him a pulpit to do so. If he gets thrown in jail, then his first amendment right is violated. (I would also argue that if he were fired from an NPR job, his first amendment rights were violated... but that is an argument for another day.)
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

The phrase was pretty damn rude and racist so two weeks off sounds reasonable to me. What's unreasonable is the preposterous overkill coverage on network and cable TV. Last evening, Brian Williams spent the first 12 of his 22 minutes on this shit.

Jesse Jackson led an anti-Imus demonstration in Chicago. Why didn't he join the larger protest? You know...the one in Hymietown. :evil:
Rock

Post by Rock »

I second that.

Yesterday was the first day I truly regretted putting a talk format on.

1) The Metro Morning news did overkill on the story.

2) CNN toh news....every hour....lead story. Until the 'Anna's baby's father..'

3) Metro news break....overkill.

4) Talkline yesterday...terrible. Especially the live cut to the bball team press conference. Brutal overkill.

5) Rush....overkill.

6) Medved....overkill.

It was just brutal.....am I the only one that noticed that the media kept referring to the actual offensive phrase uttered? instead of the generic 'offensive/racist remarks', we got 'Embattled radio host Don Imus still in trouble after calling the Rutgers' women's bball team a bunch of 'Nappy-headed Hos...' I heard that phrase i know at LEAST 20 plus times.

Good Lord, it was a disgusting thing to say. I couldn't believe he was that stupid. But, c'mon.....
America is at that awkward stage.
It is too late to work within the system,
but too early to shoot the bastards.
- Claire Wolfe
Bob Loblaw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bob Loblaw »

Rock wrote:Good Lord, it was a disgusting thing to say. I couldn't believe he was that stupid. But, c'mon.....
Really? Is it that disgusting?

You talk about overkill, yet, of all the things that could be said, don't you think your reaction is a bit overkill?

And which part is really the offensive part? "Nappy-headed?" Or "Hoes?" Because I highly doubt it's both.
Rock

Post by Rock »

D, in my world, there is no 'color-conscious'...just 'color-blindness'. In my opinion, it was a disgusting thing to say. I don't talk that way, nor do I care for others that do. It was specifically said to draw attention to their skin color, IMO. I do find those types of descriptors disgusting. I've had friends throw the 'n-word' around, and try to justify it. I don't like that one, either. Now, I'm not climbing on a soapbox about it; as mentioned, I thought it was disgusting...moreso, I thought it incredibly stupid to say, knowing the PC climate we live in. I WAS climbing on the soapbox over the overkill part, tho. :wink:
- Claire Wolfe
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

This is going to be the last time I really care about what was said. But let look at what was said.

DON IMUS: So I watched the basketball game last night between a little bit of Rutgers and Tennessee, the women’s final.

SID ROSENBERG: Yeah, Tennessee won last night, seventh championship for Pat Summitt, I-Man. They beat Rutgers by thirteen points.

DON IMUS: Some rough girls from Rutgers. Man, they’ve got tattoos and –

BERNARD McGUIRK: Some hardcore hos.

DON IMUS: That’s some nappy-headed hos there, I’m going to tell you that. Man, that’s some — ooh! And the girls from Tennessee, they all look cute, you know, so — like kind of like a — I don’t know.

BERNARD McGUIRK: A Spike Lee thing.

DON IMUS: Yeah.

BERNARD McGUIRK: The Jigaboos versus the Wannabes –

DON IMUS: Yeah.

BERNARD McGUIRK: That movie that he had?

DON IMUS: Yeah, it was a tough –

CHARLES McCORD: Do the Right Thing.

BERNARD McGUIRK: Yeah, yeah, yeah.

DON IMUS: I don’t know if I’d have wanted to beat Rutgers or not. But they did, right?

SID ROSENBERG: It was a tough watch. The more I look at Rutgers, they look exactly like the Toronto Raptors.

DON IMUS: Well, I guess, yeah.

LOU RUFFINO: Only tougher.

Now..which is worst? Nappy-headed hos? Jigaboos?

Christ!....wait...Whichevergodyouworship! All I've heard and see was Don Imus this and Don Imus that. If three words can cause all this horseshit, which is less offensive than "jigaboos" IMO, then we as broadcasters better watch our backs. Lord knows if we insult some redneck out there, they'll get Larry the Cable Guy to sue us for offending rednecks.

Get R' Sued!
Rock

Post by Rock »

:lol:
- Claire Wolfe
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Imus isn’t the real bad guy
Instead of wasting time on irrelevant shock jock, black leaders need to be fighting a growing gangster culture.

http://www.kansascity.com/182/story/66339.html
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

Lester wrote:Imus isn’t the real bad guy
Instead of wasting time on irrelevant shock jock, black leaders need to be fighting a growing gangster culture.

http://www.kansascity.com/182/story/66339.html

hah, we'll see pigs fly before that happens...
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

I'd have to dust-off my VHS copy of "Do The Right Thing" (and dust off a VCR to play it), but I believe McGuirk was quoting that movie... (Not 100%... but it sounded familiar.)
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Lester wrote:I'd have to dust-off my VHS copy of "Do The Right Thing" (and dust off a VCR to play it), but I believe McGuirk was quoting that movie... (Not 100%... but it sounded familiar.)
"School Dazed" or something like that.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

I think that's right... During the Step Show?
OldSkool

Post by OldSkool »

I believe it went something like this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096054/quotes
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~Henry David Thoreau
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

ALL HAIL THE BOOBIE!!!!!!!!!!!

HAZZAH... HAZZAH.... HAZZAH......

and for a woman as rich as janet, i had higher hopes for her boobies. granted it's FAR from the ugliest boobie i've ever seen. at least it's not a "franken-boobie"

[/threadjack]

i heard from my promotions director about an hour ago, that a guy somewhere in the poconos (stroudsburg or somewhere) got fired this morning for having a phone in contest. "call in a declare yourself a nappy headed ho and win"... and they shit canned him...

dern, i guess that puts my imaging fire out. i thought about cutting some new "your nappy headed ho station" sweepers and such... oh well :roll:
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
genlock

Post by genlock »