Imus: "I'm a good person"

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

was Imus right to apologise?

yes, his comments were wrong.
12%
no, this is what his show's been like for 20+ years.
52%
pff. Who cares?
36%

Total votes: 25

Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

genlock wrote:http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_101163705.html

Canned in Stroudsburg.
[wondering out loud]

did any urban, rhythmic, hip hop, tropical, jazz, gospel, inspirational hits stations do this??? i bet there's at least a couple nationwide. anyone get fired???
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Splitting hairs here, but...

The fact that the nipple was still not fully exposed, the fact that the breast was not actually shown that close, and that the incident lasted only a second still doesn't warrant an indecency fine, IMO. You could find worse instances in prime time TV. Never mind the graphical violence and murders that nobody seems to bat an eye at... I find that far more offensive than an exposed female breast.

Now, if JT ripped her shirt to expose her completely nude breast, and fondled and jiggled it for a few seconds, then it would be indecent.

Even if it was fully covered, the nature of how JT "ripped" her shirt and "touched" her breast would've still been enough to set the censorship crusade into motion.

With that said, I do agree that it was a publicity stunt gone terribly wrong, and that it was not the time or venue for something that racy. Actually, I'm kind of angry that it happened, because ever since, the SB Halftimes have been incredibly lame.
Correct... but there is no "must carry clause" in the first amendment. Imus can say what he wants. MSNBC/CBS are not REQUIRED to give him a pulpit to do so. If he gets thrown in jail, then his first amendment right is violated. (I would also argue that if he were fired from an NPR job, his first amendment rights were violated... but that is an argument for another day.)
This is true, but if a company/station agrees to air this type of talk radio, then it is only reasonable to allow the hosts some room to talk. It just seems like more and more subjects become off-limits to talk about all the time.
Great article... This is the real story here.
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

Zak Tyler wrote: dern, i guess that puts my imaging fire out. i thought about cutting some new "your nappy headed ho station" sweepers and such... oh well :roll:
We don't bow down to Rev. Al.....
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

The People's DJ wrote:
Zak Tyler wrote: dern, i guess that puts my imaging fire out. i thought about cutting some new "your nappy headed ho station" sweepers and such... oh well :roll:
We don't bow down to Rev. Al.....
true. but i know, and see daily, the "people i work for", i know i've travelled this slippery slope of possibly costing us advertisers cause of my big ass mouth once before, and i know that this nappy ass headed mahfkr needs a gig... :)

some call it corporate sell-out, i call it job security. i want to be the one to decide when i leave this market, if at all. got trends today, things look good. i think i'll stick around for a while ;)

my time will come to have an opinion in this market in the am... i'm patient. kinda :oops:

but again you are correct. and as i read somewhere else on the board (sorry for beeing too lazy to properly quote, you know who you are, thanks) what would he do if he didn't have something to be pissed off about? i got it... couldn't he find a church to keep him busy? he is a rev. (by the way i am too, in case any of ya'll need to get married, or want me to officiate at a funeral, i'm fairly cheap. /shameless plug)
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Dr. Whiplash wrote:The phrase was pretty damn rude and racist...
Now, see, this has become a serious pet peeve of mine.

First, people of any and every race can have "nappy" hair.

Second, people of any and every race can be sluts who expect compensation of some kind.

Third, what happened to the media's obsession with "alleged?" All day yesterday, Imus' remarks were called "racist"...we did not hear the usual "alleged racist," "what some would call 'racist,'" "that critics are calling 'racist,'" and so on that we always do. Now, "sexist" has been added to "racist" and, like yesterday, without any qualification or disclaiming. Since when did such editorializing become so accepted and, legally speaking, just fine and dandy? Imus should sue them all.

"Ms 'News'-Chick Witness, isn't it true that people from anywhere on the face of the globe can have 'nappy' hair?"

"Well, yes, I suppose, but..."

"And isn't it true that people of any skin pigment can have 'nappy' hair?"

"I guess, but..."

"And isn't it true that people of either sex can have 'nappy' hair?"

"Well, yes, but..."

"And isn't it true that people from anywhere in the world can be sexually immoral?"

"Well, sure, but..."

"...and then want or expect some form of material compensation for their sexual services?"

"Yes, but..."

"And isn't it true that people of both sexes can and do do that?"

"I suppose...."

"And isn't it true that, through all forms of media and everyday conversation, 'ho' has entered the vernacular and is not limited to describing persons of any particular skin pigment or geographic origin?"

"Uh...I guess..."

"So, by your own admission, 'nappy-haired hos' could apply to any sexually active person of either sex, of any skin pigment, and from any point on the globe?"

"..............."

"Your Honor..."

"Witness will answer the question."

".....................................yes..............................."

"Ms 'News' Chick, transcripts and videotapes show that, on April 11, 2007, you referred to Mr Imus' remarks as 'racist and sexist.' Given that you've just acknowledged that 'nappy-haired hos' could apply to any sexually active person of either sex, of any skin pigment, and from any point on the globe, on what basis did you decide to call Mr Imus' remarks 'racist and sexist?'"

"Ummm....I don't remember."

"If you were deciding what to put in such a script today, given that you've just acknowledged that 'nappy-haired hos' could apply to any sexually active person of either sex, of any skin pigment, and from any point on the globe, on what definite facts would you justify calling Mr Imus' remarks 'racist and sexist?'"

"I don't know."

"Pardon?"

"I don't know."

"So, if you have no justification for it now, what justification did you have for it then?"

".........................."

"Anything? Anything at all, Ms 'News' Chick?"

"..........................."

"Ms 'News' Chick, already in evidence is this listener perceptual study conducted last September for Mr Imus' home station, WFAN. Here on page 24 is a list of characteristics ascribed to Mr Imus by his listeners. On this list, do you find 'racist' or 'sexist?'"

"Ummm.............................................no."

"Ms 'News' Chick, would you describe yourself as a regular listener of Mr Imus?"

"No."

"So would it be correct to say that Mr Imus' listeners do not describe him as 'racist' or 'sexist,' but you, who just now acknowledged yourself as not being a regular listener, did describe Mr Imus' on-air remarks 'racist' and 'sexist.'"

"I...suppose."

"So, though knowing you've done little-to-no listening to the show, you pronounced Mr Imus' statements 'racist' and 'sexist.' Was there a particular basis or context not based on listening but still specifically related to Mr Imus on which you decided to label his comments 'racist' and 'sexist?'"

"Not that I recall."

"You Honor, Ms 'News' Chick just told us that, despite having no regular background listening to the show and no other basis or context on which to make such a decision, she labeled Mr Imus' remarks 'racist' and 'sexist' despite her agreement that:
-- 'nappy' hair can be found on a person of any sex, race, or skin pigment
-- a person of any sex, race, or skin pigment could be sexually active and receive some form of material compensation during the period that person is engaging in sexual activity with another person
-- the term 'ho' has entered the vernacular and can be used with a person of any sex, race, or skin pigment.

Your Honor, given that, it is our contention that Ms 'News' Chick engaged in her on-air remarks negligently and recklessly.

Your Honor, since Ms 'News' Chick's labeling Mr Imus' remarks 'racist and sexist,' Mr Imus has lost his MSNBC simulcast and millions of dollars in sponsorships and personal income and, according to this more recent perceptual study of listeners conducted for WFAN and already placed in evidence, has a significantly lowered reported image amongst the members of his audience.

Your Honor, Ms 'News' Chick's negligent and reckless use of 'sexist' and 'racist' has caused irrepairable harm to Mr Imus' reputation and career. Accordingly, we ask that the court grant Mr Imus judgment in the sum of...."
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

Arp2 wrote: "

"And isn't it true that, through all forms of media and everyday conversation, 'ho' has entered the vernacular and is not limited to describing persons of any particular skin pigment or geographic origin?"
i object your honor, news chick has never claimed to know specifics of ALL forms of media

LMAO!!!!

i've been watching too many "JAG" reruns...
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

On tonight's O'Reilly, Al Sharpton said that Jesse Jackson's "Hymietown" doesn't count because it was said to a reporter in private and supposedly "off the record."

:roll:

Also, a Denver Post columnist called O'Reilly a racist. When asked to justify it, she said saying "illegal alien" rather than "undocumented worker" proved he's a racist.

And, later, Zachary Sanders of Bowie, MD, wrote, "Mr O, Bernie Goldberg insulted black Americans by quoting negative statistics regarding blacks." Mr Sanders, though, did not refute a single one. Speaking them out loud, in Sanders' mind, is "wrong."

The speech police are here, the thought police are just a year or two out....
Oldiesdude

Post by Oldiesdude »

Since Imus has lost so many sponsors on his show. That leaves room for more. What I propose to be a great NEW sponsor.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images ... 1&s=beauty
I'm just happy to know the Dougger!
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

Arp2 wrote:The speech police are here, the thought police are just a year or two out....
They're both one and the same. They've been here for a long time. One camp is secular humanist quasi-moralist assbags. One camp is religion based moralist assbags. Either way, it's a bunch of assbags who don't want to hear certain words strung together in a particular way and also want to make sure no one else hears those certain words strung together in a particular way even if they want to hear them.

This time it's the secular humanist quasi-moralist assbags.
OldSkool

Post by OldSkool »

Looks like old Don could be using some of Stuart Smalley's Daily Affirmations: "I deserve good things, I am entitled to my share of happiness. I refuse to beat myself up. I am an attractive person. I am fun to be with. I'm good enough...I'm smart enough...and, doggone it, people like me. Except for those at MSNBC and P&G and Rutgers and..."
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~Henry David Thoreau
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Jay Nunley wrote:
Arp2 wrote:The speech police are here, the thought police are just a year or two out....
They're both one and the same. They've been here for a long time. One camp is secular humanist quasi-moralist assbags. One camp is religion based moralist assbags. Either way, it's a bunch of assbags who don't want to hear certain words strung together in a particular way and also want to make sure no one else hears those certain words strung together in a particular way even if they want to hear them.

This time it's the secular humanist quasi-moralist assbags.
Right on...

The "Fairness Doctrine" is very slowly being reinstated without a single piece of legislation being signed.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Repeating previous statement. Go into a black neighborhood. Find a big guy. Call him "nappy headed". Find out if statement is racist.

Limbaugh racist statement; Half-rican American, used in reference to Halle Berry and Obama.

Boortz racist statement; Ghetto Slut, used in reference to Congresswoman McKinney.

Don't think Imus will lose the radio show. Different animal from tv.
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

Bob Campbell wrote:Limbaugh racist statement; Half-rican American, used in reference to Halle Berry and Obama.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... n+american
a person who is half-rican american is of mixed racial descent, half black and half white.

"i'm not black, i'm half-rican american"
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Bob Campbell wrote:Repeating previous statement. Go into a black neighborhood. Find a big guy. Call him "nappy headed". Find out if statement is racist.
People of any race, pigment, or geographic origin can be "nappy-headed." Regardless of the outcome of your "experiment," the fact remains that "nappy-headed" cannot, in and of itself alone, be "racist."
Limbaugh racist statement; Half-rican American, used in reference to Halle Berry and Obama.
Not of his origin; he was using a term that "half-rican-Americans" have invented for themselves.
Boortz racist statement; Ghetto Slut, used in reference to Congresswoman McKinney.
McKinney is a....well, technically, I'm not familiar with her sexual history, but........given that people of all genetic combinations can come from "ghettos," again, that's no reference to race or anything racist.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Bob Campbell wrote:Repeating previous statement. Go into a black neighborhood. Find a big guy. Call him "nappy headed". Find out if statement is racist.
Well, even then it's still context. Offence is only taken over words if you allow them to get to you. One of my best friends in the world has what could be considered to be 'nappy' hair and she's a pasty white chick from the west of Scotland. Honestly, she has to go to specialty hairdressers in order to have anything done to it. She wouldn't be offended by 'nappy'.
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
CoolBreeze

Post by CoolBreeze »

Shaun Powell
SPORTS COLUMNIST Newsday, Inc.

In retrospect, outraged people shouldn't have united and screamed "blank you" to Don Imus the last few days. No, instead, we should've stuck out our hand and said, "Thank you."

We should feel indebted to a shriveled, unfunny, insensitive frog for being so ignorant that he actually did us all a favor. He woke society the hell up. He grabbed it by the throat, shook hard and ordered us to take a long, critical look at ourselves and the mess we've made and ignored for much too long. He made us examine the culture and the characters we've created for ourselves, our impressionable young people and our future.

Had Imus not called a bunch of proud and innocent young women "nappy-headed hos," would we be as ashamed of what we see as we are today?

Or, to quote Rutgers coach C. Vivian Stringer: "Have we really lost our moral fiber?"

And our minds as well?

I'm not sure if the last few days will serve as a watershed moment for this MTV, middle-finger, screw-you generation. Probably not, according to my hunch. A short time from now, the hysteria will turn to vapor, folks will settle back into their routines, somebody will pump up the volume on the latest poison produced by hip-hop while Al Sharpton and the other racial ambulance chasers will find other guilt-ridden white folks to shake for fame and cash. In five minutes, the entire episode of Imus and his strange idea of humor will be older than his hairstyle. Lessons learned will be lessons forgotten.

I wish I were wrong about that last part. But I doubt it, because any minute now, black people will resume calling themselves bitches and hos and the N-word and in the ultimate sign of hypocrisy, neither Rutgers nor anyone else will call a news conference about that.

Because when we really get to the root of the problem, this isn't about Imus. This is about a culture we -- meaning black folks -- created and condoned and packaged for white power brokers to sell and shock jocks like Imus to exploit. Can we talk?

Tell me: Where did an old white guy like Imus learn the word "ho"?

Was that always part of his vocabulary? Or did he borrow it from Jay-Z and Dave Chappelle and Snoop Dogg?

What really disappointed me about that exhausting Rutgers news conference, which was slyly used as a recruiting pitch by Stringer, was the absence of the truth and the lack of backbone and courage. Black women had the perfect opportunity to lash out at their most dangerous oppressors -- black men -- and yet they kept the focus on a white guy.

It was a tremendous letdown for me, personally and professionally. I wanted Stringer, and especially her players, many of whom listen to rap and hip-hop, to take Nelly to task. Or BET. Or MTV. Or the gangsta culture that is suffocating our kids. They had the ear and eye of the nation trained upon them, and yet these women didn't get to the point and the root of the matter. They danced around it, and I guess I should've known better, because black people still refuse to lash out against those black people who are doing harm to us all.

Honestly, I wasn't holding my breath for Sharpton or Jesse Jackson, a pair of phony and self-appointed leaders, because they have their agendas and financial stakes. I was hoping 10 young women, who have nothing on the line, who are members of a young culture, would train their attention to within the race, name names and say enough is enough. But they didn't, and I was crushed.

You should walk around the playground and the elementary and high schools today and listen to how young black people speak to each other, treat each other and tease each other. You'd be ashamed. Next, sample some of their CDs and look at the video games they're playing. And while you're at it, blame yourself for funding this garbage, for allowing your kids to support these companies and for not taking a stand against it or the so-called artists making it happen.

Black folks, for whatever reason, can be their own worst enemy. The last several days, the media had us believe it was Don Imus. But deep down, we know better.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

A tip of the hat, and a shot glass of Ol' Grandad for Shaun Powell.

Spot on.

Thank you, Sir. That was overdue.

8)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

WOW!!! great article.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Zak Tyler wrote:WOW!!! great article.
The saddest part is that (in our society) only another black man is allowed to speak that kind of truth without potentially career-ending repercussions.

Thought and Word Police, indeed.

:evil:
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

That guy rocks.

Contrary to what "leaders" who need the money and votes that come with or from an underclass they need to keep permanently down would have you believe, the overwhelming majority of the problems of the "black community" are solvable within a single generation, and guys like Shaun Powell could lead it and prove it.