American Idol -- 4/10

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

Arp2

American Idol -- 4/10

Post by Arp2 »

Are Ryan's mics always up high on his lapels, pointed not quite at his mouth? He sounds distant.

Melinda -- nice subtleties, but it sounded like a lazy mix...you know, like her mic level had been set for the big note and left alone...in other words, she was getting kinda buried by the band. Hey, Paula noted "subtle," too. (Regarding her response to Simon....) Melinda is so delightfully disarming!

LaKisha -- for crying out loud, LaKisha, look like you're happy and having a good time! And don't show me your stubbly armpits! (Oh, geez...might somebody consider that a racial comment? :roll: ) Singing was good, though...not great, but "good"...and certainly nowhere as excellent as the band was with it! Like Paula and Simon, I definitely didn't "feel" it as much as Randy did.

Chris -- man, the band is killing again! Too weak in the beginning, sounded pretty good when the band wasn't particularly dense behind it. Listenable, but it makes me really appreciate Rob Thomas...weird, huh?...rather than think of Chris.

Haley -- I'm liking it, but is the band again awful strong in the mix? Is there something wrong with my hearing, my TV/sound system, my station? Not quite enough power at times and some sloppy enunciation at others.

Phil -- hmmmm...song choice?? Probably not a great song choice. Song too low-energy to pop the crowd. Oooo...a voice crack or two. It wasn't bad, but I don't think the audience will have any reason to think of and get excited about it.

Jordin -- technically, a nearly perfect performance, I thought, but it could have used more energy. If she was going to start in that low-purr area, fine, but she should have cranked it up as it went on.

Blake -- hmmmm...kinda good...another bad mix? Is it me? Gee, again, I'm thinking "more energy!" Like Chris made me appreciate Rob Thomas earlier, Blake is making me really appreciate Marc Anthony. Good, though...as Simon said, definitely the best song/singer match all night.

Sanjaya -- gosh, I can't believe I'm going to say this, but there's definitely some potential here. This boy needs some testosterone injections or something...too weak to sing all the way to the ends of the sentences. Had he been able to maintain his voice all the way through each line, this would have been....um, pretty good. :?

Oh...and his sister's still hot.

Best: Hands down, the band! Big, tight, and skillful!

Best Of The Rest: Well, I'm not really sure. From the technical standpoint, based on showing versatility and subtleties, it was Melinda. From the performance standpoint, it was Jordin. From the closest-to-acceptable-in-the-real-world-but-still-wouldn't-be standpoint, it was Blake.

Worst: Phil....but he wasn't really bad; the song was.

Should Go: Phil, Haley, or LaKisha...nobody seemed to get an "intentional bad mix," so the producers don't seem a particular desire. 8)

Will Go: Phil, Haley, or LaKisha...but "a shocker" wouldn't be a shocker.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Did watch it last night....now I never have to again.
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
herdgirl72

Post by herdgirl72 »

I turned it on...saw the chick butcher "turn the beat around"...
turned it off.....
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

daveinthemorning wrote:Did watch it last night....now I never have to again.
Eh....come back for a better week. All of them were out of their comfort zones and put on mediocre performances, and that includes the judges, who obviously needed to be in a hurry.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD (???)

DialIdol, for the first time, does not have Melinda in first; this week, they have Blake.

The bottom two (as I said, a "shocker" wouldn't be a shocker!) -- Jordin and LaKisha!

Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

From a source that has been correct before ("The Truth" on the Stern Fan Network):

Sanjaya #3 this week.
LaKisha off the show with the fewest votes.

We'll see if this holds true...
On Twitter: @LouPickney
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

Ace Purple wrote:From a source that has been correct before ("The Truth" on the Stern Fan Network):

Sanjaya #3 this week.
LaKisha off the show with the fewest votes.

We'll see if this holds true...
that could be sweet if your source is a good source... if so will you get some info each week, so we can run a "spoilers" report???
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
herdgirl72

Post by herdgirl72 »

I'm tellin ya...Sanjaya top three....Melinda will be voted off as
the ultimate upset...show over after one more season.....
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

You know, they could possibly save the show if they made the audience vote count as two judges... leaving Randy, Paula, and Simon to make the final determination.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Switch the vote around....vote for whom you want to go, not stay.

People, including those on the show, always say "voted off"...not true. Make it true.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

herdgirl72 wrote:show over after one more season.....
DING!!!! unless, they re-invent it in a BIG way. like American Idol: The Band. and make it a nationwide battle of the bands or some shit....

[/i'm just sayin']
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

Obviously my source was wrong. Too bad -- he (or she?) nailed it the past two weeks. Such is life.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Week after week, DialIdol had Haley at the bottom. This week, it didn't.

:P
Oldiesdude

Post by Oldiesdude »

To sort of quote Daveinthemorning:

I have never watched more then 30 seconds of any season.

Is this the show where they sit around at the end, around a golden statue, with lots of little torches lit up, and cast out the bad one.

No, I think that was, "American Island", or something like that.
I'm just happy to know the Dougger!
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Zak Tyler wrote:
herdgirl72 wrote:show over after one more season.....
DING!!!! unless, they re-invent it in a BIG way. like American Idol: The Band. and make it a nationwide battle of the bands or some shit....

[/i'm just sayin']
I would love to see an AI spinoff for rock bands, though I doubt it would have the same mass appeal as the original.

After Taylor last year, and Sanjaya lasting so long this year, AI will almost definitely be revamped next season. Its credibility is very much at stake now.

Admittedly, I haven't followed it much this season. I never realized how much I would miss DVR...
Arp2 wrote:Switch the vote around....vote for whom you want to go, not stay.
Great idea. That would take care of the "vote fixing" issue.

Though it's not as exciting as voting for who you like...
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

Arp2 wrote:Switch the vote around....vote for whom you want to go, not stay.
That didn't work so well for Big Brother 1 in 2000. But, who knows, maybe it would work for Idol.