The end is near.

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Agreed, Jay, lets start with American Idol.
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

daveinthemorning wrote:Agreed, Jay, lets start with American Idol.
I'm up for that ...

:lol:
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
herdgirl72

Post by herdgirl72 »

Yup...I'm with you guys....AI needs to go...
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Why would you people want to attack the show that attracts the largest number of viewers from the greatest cross-section of people?

How strange and far outside of the mainstream are you people, and what makes you so intollerant of good and normal people?

8)
herdgirl72

Post by herdgirl72 »

The end is here...CBS Axed him...
From CNN.com....

CBS has canceled Don Imus' radio show, effective immediately, after uproar over his racist and sexist comments about Rutgers women's basketball team.

"From the outset, I believe all of us have been deeply upset and revulsed by the statements that were made on our air about the young women who represented Rutgers University in the NCAA Women's Basketball Championship with such class, energy and talent," said CBS President and Chief Executive Officer Leslie Moonves, in announcing the decision.

The decision by CBS came a day after NBC Universal decided to part ways with Imus, thus canceling the simulcast of his show on MSNBC.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Arp2 wrote:Why would you people want to attack the show that attracts the largest number of viewers from the greatest cross-section of people? How strange and far outside of the mainstream are you people, and what makes you so intollerant of good and normal people?
Formulamatic, computer generated A/C gets great numbers too. Don't ask me to listen to it.

Being "in the mainstream" was never a top-shelf personal concern.

Quality over quantity anytime. :wink:
intollerant
intolerant.

8)
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Hoosier Daddy wrote:Formulamatic...A/C gets great numbers too....Quality over quantity anytime. :wink:
Exactly....American Idol over formulaic dramas and comedies anytime!
intollerant
intolerant.

8)

Correcting me proves you're intolerant. :twisted:
Brad Allen

Post by Brad Allen »

lynching.
Better watch the words you use, Jay - someone might take offense. They'll be after you next.

Enough already. How is it that the man can help raise millions of dollars for charity and most people wouldn't give it a second thought. But, let him utter 1 derogatory phrase, and suddenly that becomes his entire legacy. Weasels like Sharpton come out of the woodwork and declare that to be Imus showing his true colors.

He did a stupid thing. No doubt. He deserves to be suspended. Absolutely. But I have to agree with Arp (sorry Arp, I'll try not to make a habit of it) - the fact that he raised over a million dollars in a short time IN THE LIGHT OF THE NEGATIVE PUBLICITY shows that many people still believe in him. Now is the time to show some fortitude.
In His service,
Brad Allen
herdgirl72

Post by herdgirl72 »

Heyyyy what's that Phrase that Pays???

A radio station fired its longtime morning DJ Wednesday after he encouraged listeners to repeat talk-show host Don Imus' racially charged comments in an on-air contest.

Gary Smith told WSBG-FM listeners to call and say "I'm a nappy-headed ho" for Tuesday's "Phrase that Pays" contest, said Rick Musselman, executive vice president of station owner Nassau Broadcasting Partners L.P.

Musselman said three of the listeners who called were awarded tickets to a NASCAR promotion at a local club.

Station management reviewed a tape of the broadcast of the "Gary in the Morning" show and fired Smith, Musselman said.

Musselman said that Smith was fired and not suspended because he uttered the slur in a premeditated manner, "with full knowledge of the reaction to Don Imus' use of the exact same phrase."

Attempts by The Associated Press to reach Smith for comment were unsuccessful. But he told The Morning Call of Allentown he regretted the comment.

"What I said was stupid, and I'm sorry," Smith told the newspaper.

MSNBC dropped its simulcast of Imus' nationally syndicated radio program on Wednesday amid a furor over the remarks. Imus called members of the mostly black Rutgers University women's basketball team "nappy-headed hos," prompting civil rights groups to demand his firing. He is suspended from the program for two weeks beginning Monday.

WSBG 93.5, a 3,000-watt rock station, is based in Stroudsburg, about 40 miles northeast of Allentown. The Princeton, N.J.-based Nassau is privately held with more than 50 radio stations in the Northeast.
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

Arp2 wrote:Why would you people want to attack the show that attracts the largest number of viewers from the greatest cross-section of people?

How strange and far outside of the mainstream are you people, and what makes you so intollerant of good and normal people?

8)
WHY???

That is pretty much why. I hate to type this but I think this guy bats for the other team...I'm just saying...

<you know...I shouldn't have type that..might offend someone..TPDJ>
CoolBreeze

Post by CoolBreeze »

I may have missed this somewhere (since we have umpteenth Imus topics going-on at the same time) but... wonder if he might try to go satellite?
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Arp2 wrote:Correcting me proves you're intolerant. :twisted:
Pot = kettle.

:roll:
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

Arp2 wrote:Why would you people want to attack the show that attracts the largest number of viewers from the greatest cross-section of people?
I don't want to attack anyone. I wasn't serious about getting shows taken off television because I don't like them. The whole country can watch American Idol all day every day and as long as I don't have to watch it I'm fine with that. I get annoyed and exhausted by the ubiquitous American Idol chatter in the media and in life, but I'm not actually looking to kill it. My feelings for that show has nothing to do with anything other than my personal entertainment tastes. I hate blather.

I can name two dozen other television shows off the top of my head I hate as much as American Idol or almost as much.
I don't know how strange or how far. I guess it would depend on who was doing the judging.

I'm not intolerant of anyone. Mostly, I couldn't give two shits how other people conduct their lives. It's usually either none of my business or no skin off my nose.

You will have to define what you mean by "good" and "normal" for me to answer the second part of your question. I do know good does not always equal normal and normal does not necessarily equal good.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

You wouldn't say that if you knew it was me who got "Rome" taken off air.

"I, CLAVDIVS" FTW!!! :wink:
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.