Mannheim Steamroller sucked

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

CoolBreeze

Mannheim Steamroller sucked

Post by CoolBreeze »

What is it about the level of talent vs ticket prices in this state lately? I've paid (relatively) big bucks for the last 4 shows and they all sucked big time.

Tuesday night I saw Mannheim Steamroller in Huntington at the Keith-Albee Theater. ( my ladyfriend wanted to see them ). It cost me $112 bucks.

Chip Davis (the founder and composer) must write music for movie soundtracks, because he only knows 8 notes... arranges them, and then repeats them for 3 minutes ad-nausium. Oh sure, his Christmas arrangements are great, but that's because he didn't write the music itself.

Anyway.. during the intermission as we LEFT, we noticed what appeared to be about one third of the audience leaving also. (maybe more). Wonder if the band noticed? And yet, I see no reviews anywhere to warn people the next time they appear.

A lot of bad entertainment seems to filter into the state at prices that used to be commanded by the best performers in the world. I'm tired of this shit. :evil:
PassiveObserver

Post by PassiveObserver »

Not true...Flogging Molly, Davis and Elkins College, $15.
"Being a bastard works." - Spider Jerusalem
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

You're PAYING for tickets? What's that like?
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Odd you mention the free tickets thang... I worked for years in radio and NEVER was given free tickets to anything. Never! (Maybe I wasn't as well-liked as I thought)

However, my wife has always participated in radio station contests and has won more shit from my previous employer than I ever got. She recently won two tickets to the PAC in Ashland to see John Berry's Christmas program. Wow! The place was empty (it was a Sunday afternoon). Still, John Berry kicked serious ass for a has-been. I liked the show so much, in fact, that I bought one of his CDs.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

My stock line on tickets is this; I wouldn't pay to see the second coming of Jesus.

And I want backstage passes and VIP parking.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Re: Mannheim Steamroller sucked

Post by Zak Tyler »

CoolBreeze wrote: A lot of bad entertainment seems to filter into the state at prices that used to be commanded by the best performers in the world. I'm tired of this shit. :evil:
i hear the shows at "Broadway" are pretty inexpensive.
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
PassiveObserver

Post by PassiveObserver »

Well, it's not like any radio station around plays Flogging Molly, so I can't use the old press pass.
"Being a bastard works." - Spider Jerusalem
jag

Post by jag »

Just wondering, Cool, what it was that made the performance so much to your disliking. Other than, of course, $112 (!) for a ticket.
Last edited by jag on Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

The shows I pay to see in West Virginia usually involve a cover charge at the door, $40 in one dollar bills, and a brass pole.

:wink:
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

Hoosier Daddy wrote:The shows I pay to see in West Virginia usually involve a cover charge at the door, $40 in one dollar bills, and a brass pole.

:wink:
ahhh, another proud member of the Black Bottom Baptist Church and Taxidermy.
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.