Hip-hop exec calls for censor of 'extreme curse words'

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

Dr. Whiplash

Hip-hop exec calls for censor of 'extreme curse words'

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Prominent U.S. hip-hop executive Russell Simmons has recommended eliminating the words ''bitch,'' "ho'' and "nigger'' from the recording industry, considering them "extreme curse words.''

The call comes less than two weeks after radio personality Don Imus' nationally syndicated and televised radio show was canceled amid public outcry over Imus calling a women's basketball team "nappy-headed hos.'' Simmons, co-founder of the Def Jam label and a driving force behind hip-hop's huge commercial success, called for voluntary restrictions on the words and setting up an industry watchdog to recommend guidelines for lyrical and visual standards.

"We recommend that the recording and broadcast industries voluntarily remove/bleep/delete the misogynistic words 'bitch' and 'ho' and the racially offensive word 'nigger','' Simmons and Benjamin Chavis, co-chairmen of the advocacy group Hip-Hop Summit Action Network, said in a statement. "These three words should be considered with the same objections to obscenity as 'extreme curse words.'"

Monday's statement changed course from another one by Simmons and Chavis dated April 13, a day after Imus' show was canceled, in which they said offensive references in hip-hop ''may be uncomfortable for some to hear, but our job is not to silence or censor that expression.''

The Imus controversy stoked a debate in the United States about how to deal with inflammatory words that are widely considered highly offensive but at the same time commonly and casually used in youth culture. U.S. black leaders such as Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson have led the charge to suppress offensive words while many artists have argued for freedom of expression. New York City declared a symbolic moratorium on the so-called N-word in February.

"Our internal discussions with industry leaders are not about censorship. Our discussions are about the corporate social responsibility of the industry to voluntarily show respect to African Americans and other people of color, African American women and to all women in lyrics and images,'' the statement from Simmons and Chavis said on Monday. The network recommended the formation of a Coalition on Broadcast Standards that would consist of leading executives from music, radio and television.
Lee

Post by Lee »

This is the same guy that was attached to "Def Comedy Jam"

Ah, fuck him...
twitter.com/CrypticBullshit
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Silly ol' Russel Simmons. While we are at it, no country artist shall sing about trucks, lost relationships, beer, tractors, muddy tires, whiskey, Jesus, ..., ..., ..., ...,

Listening to an interesting song on Launchcast called Confines Of Gravity

by some doucebags called PlayRadioPlay!

Here's a sample "I wanna be an astronaut and get high." Ridiculous.

8)
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

"We recommend that the recording and broadcast industries voluntarily remove/bleep/delete the misogynistic words 'bitch' and 'ho' and the racially offensive word 'nigger','' Simmons and Benjamin Chavis, co-chairmen of the advocacy group Hip-Hop Summit Action Network, said in a statement.
Note that he doesn't mind that they get put in in the first place....he just wants them "hidden" after the fact.....
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Dr. Whiplash

Re: Hip-hop exec calls for censor of 'extreme curse words'

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

Monday's statement changed course from another one by Simmons and Chavis dated April 13, a day after Imus' show was canceled, in which they said offensive references in hip-hop ''may be uncomfortable for some to hear, but our job is not to silence or censor that expression.''
They had it right the first time. Whores.
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

"We recommend that the recording and broadcast industries voluntarily remove/bleep/delete the misogynistic words 'bitch' and 'ho' and the racially offensive word 'nigger','' Simmons and Benjamin Chavis, co-chairmen of the advocacy group Hip-Hop Summit Action Network, said in a statement.
Isn't that done already? Clean versions of the albums...that don't sale very well.

God I miss Run-DMC.
jag

Post by jag »

They don't sell very well, either!

(I had your back on that one, Arp.)
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

Bite me :!: I got a headache.

:P
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Run DMC's tracks "Raising Hell", "King of Rock" and "Mary Mary".

GREAT SHIT!
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Maybe I'm missing the point, but wasn't the whole point of using 'the n word' in popular African American culture to take ownership and make it less offensive?

I mean, Drew Carey calling me a fat, ugly, unfunny guy with thick-rimmed glasses is infinitely less offensive than, say, Brad Pitt saying it to me.
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Dammit, Spike, there you go making sense again!
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

one day I'll stop making sense...

fa-fa-fa-faaaa-fa, fa-fa-faaa-fa. :lol:
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

ya'll wake me up when ya'll sort this shit out. let me know what i'm allowed to say and what i'm not.

and boobies better stay, or i'm takin my ball and going home.
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

(self edited for content)... :roll:
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me
jag

Post by jag »

Actually, there is radically flawed logic in the assumption that blacks (or any other group, for that matter) should seek to "take ownership" of any word, for no group can truly "own" a word (other than in copyright/trademark situations, of course).

As I have come to understand it, some blacks have hoped to "dilute" the intensity of the word by using it so much that it no longer had the shock effect. This, however, can take a long time even when it is a workable strategy (which it isn't, always).

A while back, Ebony magazine decreed that the word "nigger" and its variants were not to be used in its publication, so clearly, none of this is particularly new. What is sad is that certain people feel that purging our language of certain words is the equivalent of expunging the sentiments that those words invoke. Well, sorry friends...it just don't happen that way. If such words were not part of our linguistic heritage, then others would certainly exist to afford the degree of expression that is put forth by them.

Words are tools and, as such, must be matched to the jobs to which they are best suited if best results are expected. Not all words appeal to everybody any more than all foods appeal to everybody. But, if the expressivity of the English language is to continue to thrive, we must allow words in it to evoke strong feelings of negativity as well as positivity.

It's not the words that are the problem, but rather we who tend to use them to less than their best advantage to communicate and express ourselves.
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

jag wrote:Actually, there is radically flawed logic in the assumption that blacks (or any other group, for that matter) should seek to "take ownership" of any word, for no group can truly "own" a word (other than in copyright/trademark situations, of course).

reminds me of the family guy where peter flashed back into huckleberry finn... if you've seen the episode you know what i'm talkin about...

but seriously, that double standard needs adressed more often, as do alot of other double standards..
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me