American Idol -- 4/24

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

Arp2

American Idol -- 4/24

Post by Arp2 »

Chris Richardson -- that didn't work for me, really, because I have real trouble hearing "If I Could Change The World" done boy-band-style; the chorus was okay, but the beginning and ending weren't good; wow...the judges and I have gone in completely different directions. A technical note: very, very, very well shot and directed.

Melinda Doolittle -- 8) I love Melinda. 8) As she does about every week, Melinda brought a few tears to my eyes. Other than a popped "t" sound, that was pretty much masterful (a hair less vibrato would have been fine with me). Had she been able to do the whole song, build it up to where it can go, and then make the finish an even bigger contrast to the peak of the song, I think the crowd would have popped the roof off the place. Hey, I said "masterful," and Simon said "master class." Cool. Kinda. Eh.

Blake Lewis -- Trite. Almost nothing. The song requires little singing talent, which is what he displayed, and his facial expressions were just piss-poor acting (kinda reminded me of how I sounded the first time I did Soft AC back when Soft AC was Soft AC). He may have blown it right here.

LaKisha JustWhatIsHerLastName?IHaveNoIdea.Oh,TheScreenSaysIt's"Jones" -- Hmmm...on one hand, that was really good. On the other, it was a little too CeCe Winans. And, on that famous third hand of mine, she made it obvious she couldn't reach Fantasia's level of performing that song. Hey, that's what the judges are saying, too.

Phil Stacey -- Hmmmm...Phil seems to be having some trouble with strategically making song choices. In other words, Phil can do this singing thing, but he keeps choosing songs he wants to do rather than songs that perfectly match him. This choice wasn't bad, but it wasn't an obviously perfect choice, either. Having said that, his performance wasn't bad.

Jordin Sparks -- Uh oh....risky song choice! Gotta make us cry to really pull it off! Ok....let's sit back and watch. Ooops...a slightly missed note. Okay...here we go...here we go....okay, I've gotten choked up...tears have come to my eyes...and...it's over. No flat-out crying. Oh, well. Still, I'll give her a 94/100! I thought Melinda would coast all the way...Melinda's definitely got serious competition.

Best: (tie) Melinda / Jordin

Worst: Blake

Should Go: Based on tonight, Blake

Will Go: I'm tempted to say it will definitely be one of the guys, but I'm thinking that LaKisha's song was too unfamiliar to most and not done well enough for those who would be familiar with it. Hmmm....I dunno!
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

This week's Arp Idol update brought to you by Bob Loblaw's House of Imaging and Fine Leather. Looking for that perfect promo to accompany your cupless front lace up leather bustier? or that teaser sweeper with an appropriate front zippered thong (also available in plus sizes). Don't miss this weekends BIG BLOW-OUT personalized legal ID/Kickoff with a beautiful leather and fishnet back lace up 1/4 cup teddie.... free leather choker and thigh high stockings with Package purchase while supplies last.

and for those of you with a mrs. or a g/f that "loves her leather" here you go
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

I like how they have all the leather clad babes advertising leathery sex and then they put a picture of their supposedly normal looking telephone operator at the bottom.

Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

What does it matter now that Sanjina has been cheated out of his rightful due.
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

You can't see what else that operator does/does not have on, though!
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

That looks like more of that stock internet photo graphics stuff.

Man, I hate that stuff.

Here's a wacky idea......why not use real pictures of your real audience and real staff?

Bob Loblaw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bob Loblaw »

Arp2 wrote:Here's a wacky idea......why not use real pictures of your real audience and real staff?
Arp, go to WASHFM.com. Look at the top of the web page in the Flash thingie. Real listeners. Pretty cool idea me thinks.

But then...have you seen our staff?

Here's two members of the WMZQ street team:
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Bob Loblaw wrote:Arp, go to WASHFM.com. Look at the top of the web page in the Flash thingie. Real listeners. Pretty cool idea me thinks.
Cool how it rotates between artists and listeners. Nichole from Alexandria is hot.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

gaaahhh!! Dude! I was EATING!

...and, apparently, so were they.
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

Bob Loblaw wrote:
Arp2 wrote:Here's a wacky idea......why not use real pictures of your real audience and real staff?
Arp, go to WASHFM.com. Look at the top of the web page in the Flash thingie. Real listeners. Pretty cool idea me thinks.

But then...have you seen our staff?

Here's two members of the WMZQ street team:
OHHHHHH FUCK NO!!! I'm not looking at that again!
Damnit :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
My eyes!!!!!!!!!
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Bob Loblaw wrote:
Interesting....good!

Back when HTML was kinda not-so-hard, I did some web work. For this one station, I'd...oh, wait...that could identify the station.

Medium story short, I'd made significant effort to...no, probably shouldn't say that, either.

Well, okay, I'll say this -- one guy thought the station website should be, both visually and content-wise, all about him, the coworkers he liked, and his favorite things the station did (which featured him, of course), not the area or the listeners.

And, no, he wasn't the morning show. His shift exactly matched one of the other Arbitron dayparts, and that was actually the lowest-rated daypart on the station. Look hour-by-hour, and you'd see people literally went to the competitor or shut the radios off the moment his voice hit the air and came back the moment it left. But he thought he was in charge, so....

On the other end of the scale, check out this one:

http://www.lovefm.fm/

It is sooo much about the area and the listener that it's almost impossible to find anything about the station. IMHO.

fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

I cant wait till that show finally just goes away, it was a good concept and all, but by the end of the second season I was just sick of it...
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me