Oh... Come On!!

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

Big Media

Oh... Come On!!

Post by Big Media »

Will West Virginia ever exit mid-evil times? Can we not just charge the idiot with murder and be done with it?
From HD Online

May 1, 12:19 AM EDT

Man faces dueling charge in fatal shootout

WELCH, W.Va. (AP) -- A man accused of killing another man in a shootout has been charged under a dueling law that police say predates West Virginia's statehood.

Steven Bryant Simpson 47, of Gilliam Bottom in McDowell County, was arrested Monday and charged with murder by dueling, State Police Sr. Trooper J.S. McCarty said.

McCarty said the charge is a felony that carries the same penalty as first-degree murder. The penalty for first-degree murder is life in prison.

"It is a really old law," McCarty said. "It's been on the books in West Virginia since we were part of Virginia, and it was carried over from the Commonwealth." West Virginia became a state in 1863.

Simpson is accused of killing Dana Martin, 39, of the Worth area in a shootout on April 20 in Gilliam Bottom. McCarty said Simpson and Martin had argued, and then each man went home, retrieved a gun and returned to the site of the argument.

The men exchanged gunfire and Martin was killed. Simpson was not injured, McCarty said.
Hoosier Daddy

Re: Oh... Come On!!

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

fanofbigmedia wrote:Can we not just charge the idiot with murder and be done with it?
Well ...
HD Online wrote:...arrested Monday and charged with murder by dueling, State Police Sr. Trooper J.S. McCarty said.

McCarty said the charge is a felony that carries the same penalty as first-degree murder. The penalty for first-degree murder is life in prison.
They did.

McDowell County, dude.

That says it all.

:wink:
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
genlock

Post by genlock »

Mack-Dowell to you buckeyes.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Who cares?

It's all West Virginia.

:D
twitter.com/CrypticBullshit
nuggie99

Post by nuggie99 »

I'm no lawyer, but if you charged him with murder, he claims self defense. Charge him with murder by dueling and he's unable to claim that.
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

nuggie99 wrote:I'm no lawyer, but if you charged him with murder, he claims self defense. Charge him with murder by dueling and he's unable to claim that.
Well thats one way to fuck over someone if they wanted to claim self defense.

:twisted:
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

nuggie99 wrote:I'm no lawyer, but if you charged him with murder, he claims self defense. Charge him with murder by dueling and he's unable to claim that.
Excellent point. I never though of that. Maybe those back-woods hillbillies know what they're doin' after all. 8O
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

As I said in the "naked guy ejected from vehicle" thread;

THAT'S......Why I love West Virginia!