American Idol -- 5/1

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

Arp2

American Idol -- 5/1

Post by Arp2 »

Ok, I was a little freaked out by the contestants talking about their parents having been Bon Jovi fans.... 8O

Phil Stacey -- when I heard the acoustic with Bon Jovi, I was a-scared for Phil, but, with the effect-loaded mic in hand and band, Phil really, really pulled that thing off! Probably his best-to-date performance! That performance could have been the closer of the night....

Jordin Sparks -- a gutsy song choice...I really would have thought she would have gone with something more...what'd we call those? "Power ballads?" Yeah, I think....brain not connecting to that cell tonight or something. But, anyway, this had to be tough for her 'cause screamin'-male-rock just doesn't sound right coming out of a 17 year-old girl, and, strangely, a vocal originally sung by a man seems out of her range. Whoa...I think all three judges just said some part of what I just said....

LaKisha Jones -- not exactly the most familiar of songs, but she pulled it off pretty well. I didn't consider the interpretation as perfect as the judges did, though.

Blake Lewis -- interesting....interesting...interesting...dang! His same-ol', same-ol' vocals would have nailed that song extraordinarily well and possibly won the night, but he goes and takes that kind of risk and absolutely kills! Dyed his hair black...was it to fit the week or to differentiate himself from his virtual twin Chris?

Chris Richardson -- didn't step up his game...mediocre...crowd stood in anticipation of something happening but largely just stood there. How in the world were Randy and Paula as positive as they were?

Melinda Doolittle -- closing the show...how come? Seemingly out of her element....what's she going to bring? Sounding a lot like Tina Turner, and I mean a lot! Huh....nice job! Solid finish! Attitude...proficiency....I liked it.

Best -- Blake

Worst -- Chris

Should Go -- (based on two weeks) Chris and LaKisha

Will Go -- (based on two weeks) Chris and LaKisha
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

I have to agree on Blake. I normally don't like him, and that beatboxing crap got old around about the second time he did it, but this is the first time since his audition in the group round that I've sat up and taken notice.
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
Greg Goodfellow

American Idol 5/1

Post by Greg Goodfellow »

I appreciate Arp's analysis even more this week, as I was at a meeting and wifey agreed to tape the show. Unfortunately, she put it on the same tape as last week's two hour event and forgot to rewind. I saw Jordin and Phil, then...you know. :(
"Television is a medium because anything well done is rare."
~ Fred Allen ~

“Radio is the theater of the mind; television is the theater of the mindless”-Steve Allen
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

SPIKE NESMITH! wrote:I have to agree on Blake. I normally don't like him, and that beatboxing crap got old around about the second time he did it, but this is the first time since his audition in the group round that I've sat up and taken notice.
My thoughts exactly. I hesitantly blasted through some of the performances on the ol' Tivo. Of the six, I watched Phil, Jordan, and Blake. With Blake's performance, I got the impression from Jon's interview that he was not at all impressed and seemed a bit perplexed by Blake's decision to greatly alter the song. However, after seeing the performance, I was thoroughly impressed. I thought the percussionist that "performed" with Blake deserved some recognition as it made the performance much more than "the usual Blake".

It reminded me a great deal of when Katharine did Black Horse and a Cherry Tree last season with the bongo guy. It adds a dynamic. Without which, the performances would not be nearly as respectable.
1015RiverRat

Post by 1015RiverRat »

Does anyone have a link to the show? My DVR died...
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

fanofbigmedia wrote:I thought the percussionist that "performed" with Blake deserved some recognition as it made the performance much more than "the usual Blake".

It reminded me a great deal of when Katharine did Black Horse and a Cherry Tree last season with the bongo guy. It adds a dynamic.
Yes, they make great TV, and they do it live for however many songs they have. That's impressive. And, if you don't think so, try doing it! Shooting music live, I mean. Sure, they often run similar patterns and transitions, but, still.....well, like I said, try doing it.

Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

1015RiverRat wrote:Does anyone have a link to the show? My DVR died...
Mark, bit-torrent versions of both SD and HD are virtually guaranteed to be "out there" and could probably be on your computer within twenty minutes.

SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Hello, MPAA? Yes, I'd like you to investigate someone involved in illegal activity. His name? It's H.. A...
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

SPIKE NESMITH! wrote:Hello, MPAA? Yes, I'd like you to investigate someone involved in illegal activity. His name? It's H.. A...
Oh, yeah....have I ever mentioned a friend of mine secretly works for the secret company that secretly finds and identifies the swappers? :twisted:

But, no, I haven't asked anything of him....and I think they do music and movies only.....maybe......