you knew it was coming: Imus to sue CBS.

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

SPIKE NESMITH!

you knew it was coming: Imus to sue CBS.

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/ ... 3320070504
The paper cited Imus's lawyer, Martin Garbus, as alleging that CBS violated a clause in the radio host's contract that encouraged him to engage in "extraordinary," "irreverent" and "controversial" topics.
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Go I-Man.
AARON SCOTT

Post by AARON SCOTT »

I hope he wins!!!! This one sided crap is killing America!!!
Go Imus!!!!!!!!!!!
kriss kross will make ya jump, jump
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

The sticky point - and this is where my law degree comes in handy for once - is the term "controversial topics" if, indeed, the contract does actually use those words. The Rutgers' team wasn't really controversial topic, but his statement was controversial. So if the contract specifies that he should cover topics that are controversial, CBS were right. If the contract states that he himself should be controversial or say controversial things, he might win or - at least - get a healthy settlement.
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Could this be a vehicle for getting him back in place? A "settlement" restores him "with strong rebuke, zero tolerance, and new standards and supervision" blah blah blah....

("A long vacation that is not portrayed as one" was my hypotheses after the incident....well, until Bernie kinda trashed 'em on Hannity & Colmes....)
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

Arp2 wrote:Could this be a vehicle for getting him back in place? A "settlement" restores him "with strong rebuke, zero tolerance, and new standards and supervision" blah blah blah....
Oh...Bobby Knight him.

8)
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

Arp2 wrote:well, until Bernie kinda trashed 'em on Hannity & Colmes....)
I missed it. What did he say?
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Jay Nunley wrote:
Arp2 wrote:well, until Bernie kinda trashed 'em on Hannity & Colmes....)
I missed it. What did he say?
Nothing that strong (notice I said, "kinda"), but....
Imus producer criticizes Rev. Sharpton

Thu Apr 26, 10:10 PM ET

NEW YORK - Don Imus' former producer said Thursday that the radio exchange that got them both fired was wrong, but that it would be horrible if people could no longer poke fun at each other.

Bernard McGuirk, a 20-year producer and on-air jester for the "Imus in the Morning" program, was fired a week after his boss for the banter in which members of the Rutgers University women's basketball team were called "nappy-headed hos."

McGuirk, in an interview on Fox News Channel's "Hannity & Colmes," said he "didn't get the memo" that the phrase 'hos' had reached the level of the n-word in offensiveness. But apologies to the Rutgers team were appropriate, he said.

But McGuirk said he and Imus had engaged in the same locker-room humor for many years, and received pats on the back and raises from their superiors before CBS Radio fired them this time.

He sharply criticized the Rev. Al Sharpton, who led the campaign to get them fired.

"It seemed like he terrorized broadcast executives," he said. "It seemed like they were in a fetal position under their desks sucking their thumbs on their Blackberrys, trying to coordinate their response."

The concept of "crossing the line" is hard to understand when it's not clear where the line is, he said.

"It's a horrible thing for this country where people can't poke fun at each other and just joke around, have a good time, without fear of being hammered by the PC police or lose your livelihood over it," he said.
With the interview filling the first half-hour of the show, the article is obviously incomplete. He was critical of the company being virtually silent until firing him by a Fed-Exed, single-paged letter, for example, and portrayed all the involved execs as being rather ineffectual....

I imagine the video is out there somewhere....

Ah....here would appear to be the pieces.....

1015RiverRat

Post by 1015RiverRat »

Imus was encouraged for years to cross the line. He should have been suspended for a month at the longest.
Lee

Post by Lee »

1015RiverRat wrote:Imus was encouraged for years to cross the line. He should have been suspended for a month at the longest.
Anyone else find this funny??
twitter.com/CrypticBullshit
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

And then come back on the air using a different name? :-)
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Maybe something like "66WImAMessyFAN"....?

SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Do you think Imus has already called Al Sharpton's boss, to try to get him canned...?
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

if i were imus, i'd be suing more than cbs, i'd go after sharpton and his people too.. and anyone else that tried to crucify me.... that is if I were imus...
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me