Charleston Smokey Bones closes...

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

CoolBreeze

Charleston Smokey Bones closes...

Post by CoolBreeze »

Charlestons Smokey Bones closed today. It was something I predicted on the air over a year ago. It's owned by the same company that owns Olive Garden and Red Lobster in this area.

My prediction was based on not enough food for too much money. Meat is expensive... and to make a profit on a building that large with all those employees takes some doing.

I also predict that Famous Dave's will bite the bullet locally.

Why?

Here's another theory of mine: For every 25 miles you live inland from West Virginia's border states, your weight doubles. By the time you hit Charleston, you most likely enjoy the all-you-can-eat buffets. (We have about 50 in this small town.. both big and small) Country-like restaurants must serve good food and plenty of it, while fancy restaurants aren't expected to. A rib joint... no matter how fancy is still a rib joint. And these "Heavy Hitters" in our area expect lots of food from a country restaurant.. something they wont get from most franchised rib joints. (especially considering the cost). So while these types of restaurants might do well in more affluent states, and even in our state near the border, it wont play well in the home of the Heavy Hitters.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

I ate at Smokey Bones three times and it sucked every time.
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

There is speculation that Darden will close all of the "experiments" (in other words, not Olive Garden or Red Lobster) it's been doing soon.

Well, wait.....it's no longer speculation...at least, for this brand....
  • Statement on Smokey Bones
    Saturday, May 5, 2007

Darden Restaurants, Inc. today announced the closure of 54 Smokey Bones Barbeque & Grill and two Rocky River Grillhouse restaurants. Darden will offer the remaining 73 Smokey Bones restaurants for sale – all located in the eastern half of the United States.

The action comes as part of an overall effort by the company to better position Darden for future growth. Smokey Bones has lagged the performance of Darden’s other brands as the barbecue concept’s core guests chose to dine at Smokey Bones with less frequency.

The company had been testing the possibility of converting some units to a new format called Rocky River Grillhouse. That longer-term test featuring fire-grilled foods was predicated on Smokey Bones’ ability to stabilize its business. Long-term performance declines, however, continued and recently accelerated, making that test not viable.

"Darden is doing the difficult things required to grow," said Darden Chairman and CEO Clarence Otis in a statement released May 5. Smokey Bones restaurants remaining open form a viable business, but one that is not consistent with Darden’s vision for a national restaurant concept.

This decision does not change Darden’s long-term growth goals. It also allows Darden to refocus many talented employees, providing stronger opportunities for these Darden people.

This action in no way reflects adversely on the hard work of everyone associated with Smokey Bones. And, consistent with Darden’s culture, the company will take care of every person affected. Employees affected by the closures will be given opportunities to transfer to other Darden locations. For those who leave the company, Darden will provide support to help their transition.

The action yields the greatest value to Darden shareholders. There are a number of Smokey Bones restaurants that have not performed well for some time now and the declining trend has accelerated. Without the stabilization of the core business, a longer-term test to convert to Rocky River Grillhouse was not viable. Darden expects its profitability to improve with this action.
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
1015RiverRat

Post by 1015RiverRat »

Obviously this wasn't a Charleston issue. Dozrns of Smokey Bones closed,

Daves will likely get some of Smokey Bones customers.

When I ate at Smokey Bones in several cities I found the food to be average.
The Interpreter

Post by The Interpreter »

Yes, this Smokey Bones customer chose to eat there with less frequency.

Once was MORE than enough. Cold food, not much of it, high prices and poor service. This was in Atlanta, but once was enough.

Especially when Porkers is in Cross Lanes.

Apparently, a lot of people in a lot of communities made similar decisions:

http://www.smokeybones.com/closed_restaurants.asp

The few remaining locations (which the website cleverly does NOT indicate are for sale) can be seen here:

http://direct.where2getit.com/cwc/apps/ ... shadow_usa

I also don't understand why anyone eats at Famous Dave's. Once there (in Florence, Kentucky) was also more than sufficient. Bland is the nicest thing I can call it.

I don't think chain and the words "rib shack" go together.

That said, anyone been to Shane's? I haven't worked up the nerve yet...
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Re: Charleston Smokey Bones closes...

Post by Zak Tyler »

CoolBreeze wrote: My prediction was based on not enough food for too much money. Meat is expensive... and to make a profit on a building that large with all those employees takes some doing...

Here's another theory of mine: For every 25 miles you live inland from West Virginia's border states, your weight doubles. By the time you hit Charleston, you most likely enjoy the all-you-can-eat buffets. (We have about 50 in this small town.. both big and small) Country-like restaurants must serve good food and plenty of it, while fancy restaurants aren't expected to. A rib joint... no matter how fancy is still a rib joint. And these "Heavy Hitters" in our area expect lots of food from a country restaurant.. something they wont get from most franchised rib joints. (especially considering the cost). So while these types of restaurants might do well in more affluent states, and even in our state near the border, it wont play well in the home of the Heavy Hitters.

good point. but i find these more compelling as to "why" the business failed...

Dave wrote:I ate at Smokey Bones three times and it sucked every time.
Rat wrote:When I ate at Smokey Bones in several cities I found the food to be average.
Interpreter wrote: Yes, this Smokey Bones customer chose to eat there with less frequency.
Once was MORE than enough. Cold food, not much of it, high prices and poor service. This was in Atlanta, but once was enough.
and that's just 3 people in the span of half a day from a relatively small starting sample. and no positive comments at all....

obviously if the franchise got as big as it did, the business model was probably pretty sound. sounds like the company lacked a quality managers training program.
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

I know most of you don't make it to Logan on a regular basis (smart people) but should any of you find yourselves in L.A. I would gladly take you to Fat Jack's (I'll even buy!). For a small, family-owned joint the food is really good, especially the ribs. I took Nunley there, fed him the Big Mike burger and he liked it a lot. Actually I think he went to sleep at the table. Its one HELL of a big-ass burger. The make a sandwich called the Coal Miner's special, which is extra thick baloney, dipped in bbq sauce and grilled.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Do I smell a WVB.net gathering....? :D
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Easy there, Spike. I ain't buying for all you fuckers. 'Course no one from WV Radio Corp. will be allowed to come since I just said "fuckers".

Make that "fuc#ers"
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

I have never tried Smokey Bones but I love Red Lobster and Olive Garden so I likely would have tried it at some point and from the looks of things, I would have been disappointed. That was a really. Long. Sentence.

Anyhoo, I do like Dave's and Buddy's but they still can't compare to the guys from Senaca, SC, that come to Rib Fest every year. We go every time just for the South Carolina BBQ. Love it.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Heh - you've obviously never spent any time with Chris Lawrence... :wink:

I've been at Smokey Bones three times, all of them were fine. The food was expensive, but no moreso on a food-to-price ratio than Olive Garden.

But fat buggers like me always prefer buffets anyway. Ryans FTW!
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
Bob Loblaw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bob Loblaw »

The Interpreter wrote:I also don't understand why anyone eats at Famous Dave's. Once there (in Florence, Kentucky) was also more than sufficient. Bland is the nicest thing I can call it.
DING

Had Dave's for the first time yesterday. Dull is the nicest phrase I could use.

They brought my starter salad to me in a bowl, which sat atop the weird plastic serving tray lined with paper. Served to me that way. I picked the bowl off of the tray and handed the tray back to the waiter. It took up way too much space. And the salad sucked. Tasted extremely pre-made.

Pulled chicken sandwich was flavorless and barely warm. I had to toss the slaw and extra bbq sauce on top of it to get something out of it. Even then, by the time I was done, I was full, but I felt like I hadn't actually TASTED anything.

Bleh. I'll never go back.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Darden picked up an analyst upgrade and gained about 5.5% in market value today on this move.....
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

Arp2 wrote:Darden picked up an analyst upgrade and gained about 5.5% in market value today on this move.....
and that means what to poor people like me?? heheh :lol:
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

I went to Dave's once for a birthday party back in 2001. All I remember is paying $15 for a burger platter, drink, and tip.

I take it they haven't changed much in six years...