Huntington, Charleston among most obese cities in U.S.

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

By Rachel Gensler
The Herald-Dispatch

HUNTINGTON --

It's a city known for deep fried hot dogs and fried bologna sandwiches, but the tasty foods may be catching up with local residents.

Huntington is listed as the most obese city in the United States in the May issue of Best Life magazine, drawing information from a 2005 study by the National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion.

The study, which names West Virginia as the third most obese state, states that 34.2 percent of Huntington's population has a body mass index higher than 30, which the researchers considered obese. An additional 32.5 percent are considered overweight, with a BMI between 25 and 29.9.

Charleston ranks as the fourth most obese city in the nation, with 31.5 percent of the population meeting the BMI.

Other cities that rank in the top 10 include New Orleans, San Antonio and Memphis.
Source: Herald-Dispatch.com

8)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

WOW!!! you mean wva is full of fat people!!!!! No crap...
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Guilty.
Bob Loblaw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bob Loblaw »

fanofbigmedia wrote:Guilty.
But your typing looks so thin.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Not to make excuses, though, but that is our culture. We deep fry damn near everything. Breakfast is biscuits and gravy, fried potatoes..damn I'm getting hungry now!
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

daveinthemorning wrote:Not to make excuses, though, but that is our culture. We deep fry damn near everything. Breakfast is biscuits and gravy, fried potatoes..damn I'm getting hungry now!
Really? And where did those recipes come from?

It's not the food that is making us fat, it's the lack of self control. My grandmothers recipes didn't make my grandfather fat... but he worked... I mean REALLY worked for a living. Plus, due to money and the number of mouths to feed, it wasn't uncommon to clear the table before everyone left due to portion size.

Again... self control could make all of this go away. Even fast-food... McDonald's was around LONG before obesity became an issue.
Lee

Post by Lee »

daveinthemorning wrote:Not to make excuses, though, but that is our culture. We deep fry damn near everything. Breakfast is biscuits and gravy, fried potatoes..damn I'm getting hungry now!
:lol:

That reminds me of one Simpsons episode where Homer had his shirt deep fried!

twitter.com/CrypticBullshit
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

or the one where homer got purposely really really fat so he could stay at home and work..

Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

You guys are right. Every day before he went to work in the coal mines by grandmother would make my grandfather three eggs, biscuits, gravy and all that good stuff. The difference between us and him is HE actually DID work..not sitting behind a computer but actual real work. Most of us, me included, would die if we had to do half of what the oldtimers did.
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

daveinthemorning wrote:You guys are right. Every day before he went to work in the coal mines by grandmother would make my grandfather three eggs, biscuits, gravy and all that good stuff. The difference between us and him is HE actually DID work..not sitting behind a computer but actual real work. Most of us, me included, would die if we had to do half of what the oldtimers did.
I know what u mean, my gramps is 75 and looks like he's still in his early 50's, that man worked so much that when he retired an endless update started around his house, that was 10 years ago, and he's still building on it..

jag

Post by jag »

You're all onto something here. Why, I've read that back in the 19th century they fried their Twinkies in real lard! 8O

None of that wimpy, heart-healthy olive oil stuff for those folks!
Lee

Post by Lee »

Here at work someone said they wanted to order Fried Mac and Cheese from Hillbilly Hotdogs.

Fried Mac and Cheese.

Who in the hell fries mac and cheese....except Hillbilly Hotdogs??
twitter.com/CrypticBullshit
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Remember we are the culture that takes something perfectly healthy like green tomatoes and say, "Sum-bitch...let's fry it!"
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Lee wrote:Who in the hell fries mac and cheese....except Hillbilly Hotdogs??
Deep fried mac and cheese nuggets from TGI Friday's is delish. Southern battered and dixie fried! :o
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

daveinthemorning wrote:Remember we are the culture that takes something perfectly healthy like green tomatoes and say, "Sum-bitch...let's fry it!"

I was thinking about this the other day...

The average American diet is absolutely horrible. Most of our food is nutritionally void with lots of fat and sugar.

I love it just as much as the next guy, but I try to counteract it somewhat with multivitamins and omega complex stuff. Also lots of water and green tea.

I want to stop eating red meat and pork, but it tastes too good...
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

K-Rock wrote: I want to stop eating red meat and pork, but it tastes too good...
we'll be standing by for the intervention....
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
Bob Loblaw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bob Loblaw »

Once you stop eating beef, it's easy to stay away from it.

I eat maybe one steak and one hamburger a year. Most times because it's being served (not chosen by me). And it never tastes good.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

Bob Loblaw wrote:Once you stop eating beef, it's easy to stay away from it.

I eat maybe one steak and one hamburger a year. Most times because it's being served (not chosen by me). And it never tastes good.
you're not doing your part to cut down global warming... those f'n cows and their farting, it's going to kill us all... eat more cows... and not just those expensive Morton's bitches, go to sizzler and get the "side oh beef" med. rare, fried onions and mushrooms.... 1 steak a year???? that's almost grounds for turning in your "man card" wassamattayou!
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

As soon as weight loss is as tasty and fun as weight gain, I'll be the skinniest man on the face of the earth.
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
CoolBreeze

Post by CoolBreeze »

The thing I LOVE about all this, is that these are the same people crucifying smokers while they (the fat asses) go on like they are the picture of health.
Disclaimer: If you're fat AND smoke... this doesn't apply to you. ;)
(The older I get, the more stupid people become )