American Idol -- 5/8

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

Arp2

American Idol -- 5/8

Post by Arp2 »

"Hello, I'm Barry Gibb, and these are my new teeth. (cheeeeeese) Like 'em? I don't exactly have full control of them just yet, but I'll get there...! Makes me a little Sean-Connery-ish, doesn't it?"

What happened to his old teeth? Nothing wrong with those, as I recall.... :? ...you know, is it my imagination, or are most celebrity cosmetic surgeries turning out bad these days? I mean, has that plumping-of-the-lips thing ever worked???

Melinda 1 -- there wasn't anything wrong with what she did, but there wasn't anything remarkable about it. However, what could she do? I'm trying to think of Bee Gees, et al, songs that could really be called "singers' songs," and nothing's coming to mind. Perhaps Barry Gibb should have been used earlier in the season if at all.....

Blake 1 -- the singing was "okay," the initial beat-boxing seemed forced and hackneyed, but the beat-boxing kinda worked on the bridge. (Hey, that's kinda like what Randy's saying.)

LaKisha 1 -- interesting-ish....if you can't win the game, change the game. Wait...did she change the game? No, not exactly...a moderation between the "coaching session" and show night. Pretty good, I thought...I wasn't as negative as the judges by any means.

Jordin 1 -- ah...finally! A good "fit" and a good performance. Heck...a really good performance!

First half winner....Jordin Sparks. Hey, what are the odds someone will do one of my favorite Bee Gees songs -- the rather unfamiliar "Spirits Having Flown?" About zilch, I would guess, but that would blow my mind. Am I the only one who remembers it?

Melinda 2 -- ah....a much better choice! A very solid performance, but I'm getting a little bored. How's Melinda going to pop the crowd with this song? (She knows you gotta do that, I'll guarantee you.) Wow...that's how! A nice arrangement that was obviously designed to give her that opportunity.

Blake 2 -- interesting choice...would have liked to have heard it done a little faster...smile, Blake, smile for once! Good (for what it is/was)....contestants or producers are obviously choosing the stronger performances for the second half. Yeah, really....why not "Jive Talkin'?!?"

Judge Judy, are you on dope??!?? Producers,....Judge Judy?? Producers, are you on dope???

LaKisha 2 -- niiice...setting herself up as a competitor! It's obviously going to have to build for a pop...I'm getting bored...ah, here it goes...no, no it doesn't. Hmmm. Oh, well. It was actually a good performance, but this "game," especially at this stage, is about giving people chills and making people break down and tear up. Didn't happen, didn't even have a chance of it.

Jordin 2 -- a good choice...was she momentarily confused at the start? She didn't forget any words, but was she 100% sure where every syllable was going? Wow...it's kinda continuing all the way through. This had all the potential in the world, but I think she might have blown it...not her chances, but the song. Something went really wrong.

I'll say it again -- if Barry Gibb was to be used, it should have been much earlier. :evil:

Winner: well, geez...Melinda and/or Jordin

Loser: well, geez...LaKisha and/or Blake

Should Go: well, geez...LaKisha and/or Blake

Will Go: well, geez...LaKisha and/or Blake

BUT.....

There hasn't been an audience-angering, shocking shock this year.....

....and it's way too late for one, please and thank you. :?
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"